Notices

Neptune versus ECtune....Is it possible to do a comparison of these apples? Blundar, Xenocron?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Neptune versus ECtune....Is it possible to do a comparison of these apples? Blundar, Xenocron?

Clearly CROME is oranges in this deal, so in looking at these new systems, what's the advantages/disadvantages or pro/cons when looking at these two systems?

I know ECtune is still partially in the development stages, but is there a cost projection and system breakdown that can help people make a decision between these systems?

Old 10-23-2007, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Neptune versus ECtune....Is it possible to do a comparison of these apples? Blundar, Xenocron? (

I assume you're talking about a single car, DIY tuning soultion? In that case:

Neptune RTP features:
http://www.hrtuning.com/pages/...-rtp/

eCtune DIY features:
http://www.ectune.com/eCtune/A....aspx
eCtune usage:
http://www.ectune.com/eCtune/H....aspx

I believe calvin has said that ectune and neptune are very similar in terms of quality and features. He's also listened to a lot of feature requests, so he should be implementing some cool stuff (my favorite being serial input from Innovate widebands for dead-accurate AFRs) after the initial release.

As far as cost, neptune is $450, and ectune could potentially beat that price point. To run ectune, you need an ostrich ($175) and a datalogging cable ($10 DIY, or about $30 for plug-n-play). You need a chipped ECU to run both so we can ignore that. So the DIY baseline for ectune is about $185, which means it's up to calvin to decide how much he wants to beat the price of neptune by. Presonally, I'm hoping the rumors are true and it will come in cheaper that crome's $150, but right now it's wait and see.

This is all info I've come up with from my own research, anyone out there please chime in if I got something wrong.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im pretty sure i read that you need to buy a private license for single use or a dealers license for tuners. after that you renew the license for free every 12 months.
so the final price is not yet know PM joesph davis
Old 10-23-2007, 11:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im DIY as FU*k but a real 2 step is worth the money to me. so i went with s300.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SwappedTURBOegg)

Yeah, CROME's 2step is about as lame as it gets...no doubt on that. I've been able to get a couple psi out of it with some anti-lag tuning in the low cam maps, but it's still a pretty lame sounding launch control.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RC000E)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RC000E &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah, CROME's 2step is about as lame as it gets...no doubt on that. I've been able to get a couple psi out of it with some anti-lag tuning in the low cam maps, but it's still a pretty lame sounding launch control.</TD></TR></TABLE>

true true. eCtune should be out soon!
Old 10-24-2007, 10:34 AM

Default Re: Neptune versus ECtune....Is it possible to do a comparison of these apples? Blundar, Xenocron? (

Wow...this could turn into a long thread

Instead of listing any downfalls...I will list what I like about each system as a DIY User, not a tuner.

S300
- On Board logging
- PWM Boost Control
- Full Control of Inputs/Outputs
- Single USB Connection
- Good Interface and Usability

Neptune RTP
- Simple and plugs into any existing Chipped ECU
- Single USB Connectivity
- Bluetooth Option for wireless connection
- Good interface, simple with no frills (not too many things to complicate)

eCtune
- Map Tracing in ALL maps, not just the fuel and timing maps
- PWM Boost Control
- Full Control of all Inputs/Outputs
- Wideband Closed Loop Operation
- Great Interface, although maybe too many options for noob tuners

After all said and done, the price point is not going to be all that different between these (3) systems...Hondata being the most expensive. I think Crome still has its place though, especially for those first time users who want to learn how to tune and get into it for a little amount of money.

Crome users are going to like eCtune because they can upgrade with existing hardware they already have whereas if they wanted to step up to Neptune or S300, some of that stuff would would be useless (Ostrich, burner, data cable). The Software interface is similar as well...but the options are much improved.

Right now, for users that need PWM Boost control, want on board logging and the ability to make changes at the track for themselves...I suggest S300.

Users that dont need PWM Boost control but have a Staged Boost Setup and have a laptop that can sit next to them in the car for logging...I suggest Neptune.

For those users who want a well running street car or a good track car, but dont want or have the ability to make changes for themself...I say get tuned with eCtune.

For those with a smaller budget who want to do everything themselves...I say get Crome PRO and the equipment to tune with, and patiently wait for the eCtune release
Old 10-24-2007, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xenocron &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wow...this could turn into a long thread

Instead of listing any downfalls...I will list what I like about each system as a DIY User, not a tuner.

S300
- On Board logging
- PWM Boost Control
- Single USB Connection
- Good Interface and Usability

Neptune RTP
- Simple and plugs into any existing Chipped ECU
- Single USB Connectivity
- Bluetooth Option for wireless connection
- Good interface, simple with no frills (not too many things to complicate)

eCtune
- Map Tracing in ALL maps, not just the fuel and timing maps
- PWM Boost Control
- Full Control of all Inputs/Outputs
- Wideband Closed Loop Operation
- Great Interface, although maybe too many options for noob tuners

After all said and done, the price point is not going to be all that different between these (3) systems...Hondata being the most expensive. I think Crome still has its place though, especially for those first time users who want to learn how to tune and get into it for a little amount of money.

Crome users are going to like eCtune because they can upgrade with existing hardware they already have whereas if they wanted to step up to Neptune or S300, some of that stuff would would be useless (Ostrich, burner, data cable). The Software interface is similar as well...but the options are much improved.

Right now, for users that need PWM Boost control, want on board logging and the ability to make changes at the track for themselves...I suggest S300.

Users that dont need PWM Boost control but have a Staged Boost Setup and have a laptop that can sit next to them in the car for logging...I suggest Neptune.

For those users who want a well running street car or a good track car, but dont want or have the ability to make changes for themself...I say get tuned with eCtune.

For those with a smaller budget who want to do everything themselves...I say get Crome PRO and the equipment to tune with, and patiently wait for the eCtune release </TD></TR></TABLE>

that was a good summary i say this should get stickied and lock, as it answers all the questions that people ask every week. " what EMS to use ?"
Old 10-24-2007, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well said, Chris. I'd agree with your take on it given the current features at this very moment in time. Don't forget to mention support, though. That is often left out of comparisons like this.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HRTuning &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well said, Chris. I'd agree with your take on it given the current features at this very moment in time. Don't forget to mention support, though. That is often left out of comparisons like this. </TD></TR></TABLE>
This is true. Your support &gt; hondata's support for sure.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone know if neptune and hondata has decel fuel cut option?

Old 10-24-2007, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

NepTune has control over the decel fuel cut.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RACEPAK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">anyone know if neptune and hondata has decel fuel cut option?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hondata doesn't not have the option to play with it, however that's not to say that it has problems with decel. I know plenty of people with large injectors who don't have any issues with going extremely rich between shifts/closing the throttle.

Old 10-25-2007, 06:31 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HRTuning &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well said, Chris. I'd agree with your take on it given the current features at this very moment in time. Don't forget to mention support, though. That is often left out of comparisons like this. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Support is an interesting subject when it comes to these EMS...you do an amazing job James, especially as the sole support for your product.

In the support department, what should be, isnt...necessarily.

I have had my fingers in all of these systems other the years...and my business aside I am very DIY orientated and hate to ask for help most of the time. When I have needed support, I have the cell phones of everyone who made these pieces of software (except for Doug's) so I have never really had a problem getting the support I need.

As a DIY user...which ALL of these EMS systems are ultimately aimed at (whether their creators intended or knew it)...you should really look internally for support 1st. More and more TOO many people think they need support when they really dont. I could come up with examples on a daily basis of the "interesting" support requests I get...and how unbelievable it is that the person couldnt take the time to look at and read what was right in front of his eyes.

Support is a two way street in this game...
Old 10-25-2007, 07:30 AM

Default Re: (RC000E)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RC000E &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah, CROME's 2step is about as lame as it gets...no doubt on that. I've been able to get a couple psi out of it with some anti-lag tuning in the low cam maps, but it's still a pretty lame sounding launch control.</TD></TR></TABLE>

you realize that in crome you can set the differential in rpms for 2 step and rev limiter. so you can have a really fast 2 step or a really slow 2 step if you want. you adjust it by going to file, settings, then the options tab.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SovXietday &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Hondata doesn't not have the option to play with it, however that's not to say that it has problems with decel. I know plenty of people with large injectors who don't have any issues with going extremely rich between shifts/closing the throttle.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've ran into a 1600cc injector'ed car I tuned with s300 that could have used this feature.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Servion, you may be referring to the overrun fuel cutoff, which is in the "rev limits" tab..

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by servion &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I've ran into a 1600cc injector'ed car I tuned with s300 that could have used this feature.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 10-25-2007, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by servion &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I've ran into a 1600cc injector'ed car I tuned with s300 that could have used this feature.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah I still feel it, but WOT NO PROBLEMS
Old 10-25-2007, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what does "overrun" means?
Old 10-25-2007, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I was working on a feature comparison for all tuning options. I'll do my best to update these two apps. Neptune and ECTune are not apps I am familiar with.
http://www.thewrai6th.com/drop...s.xls
Old 10-25-2007, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Care to elaborate on what you mean? I've never tuned a car with injectors quite that big, nor do I know anyone with them.

I run 780cc injectors in my car with Hondata, while I do go a bit richer between (12.5:1 is about as bad as it gets) with Crome I was having a rich pop and below 10:1 AFRS after every shift, part throttle driving mostly.

Old 10-26-2007, 01:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dbiker207)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dbiker207 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

you realize that in crome you can set the differential in rpms for 2 step and rev limiter. so you can have a really fast 2 step or a really slow 2 step if you want. you adjust it by going to file, settings, then the options tab.</TD></TR></TABLE>crome and ectune and possibly neptune? do not have a "real" 2step [have not used ectune or neptune but have seen vids with cars and as far as i can tell there is no harsh igniton retard like s300 offers to make the crazy poping 2step] i make can make 25 PSI off the line...
Old 10-26-2007, 01:33 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SwappedTURBOegg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">crome and ectune and possibly neptune? do not have a "real" 2step [have not used ectune or neptune but have seen vids with cars and as far as i can tell there is no harsh igniton retard like s300 offers to make the crazy poping 2step] i make can make 25 PSI off the line...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Both Neptune and eCtune have an ignition cut 2 step to do the same thing...
Old 10-26-2007, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

then its the sound there lacking haha.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:51 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SwappedTURBOegg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">then its the sound there lacking haha.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i meant same as s300 2-step

Quick Reply: Neptune versus ECtune....Is it possible to do a comparison of these apples? Blundar, Xenocron?