Notices

NEGATIVE BOOST????

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEGATIVE BOOST????

is negative boost possible? i can see it possibly happening but not logically unless you really jacked somethin up. my boost gauge starts at zero, then has meters going clockwise and counter clockwise to read boost. i thought it would read going up (clockwise) but mine reads in reverse (counterclockwise). can you have negative boost? if so, what exactly is it and what causes it? how do you fix it? and my gauge is reading 20 pounds on an 8 pound wastegate spring in reverse mode for the record, so i'm totally lost here. gauge is tee'd into the vaccum line from my AI manifold to my fuel pressure regulator, and so is my FMU. maybe where i have somethin else tee'd in the same line it throws it off? no clue, any help?
Old 07-29-2006, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: NEGATIVE BOOST???? (CivicDude2k4)

Negative boost = vacuum.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:52 PM

its called vacuum.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There is vaccum which is located below the the "0" on the gauge but it shouldn't be doing that constantly.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:59 PM

Default Re: NEGATIVE BOOST???? (knockout)

ok so is somethin wrong or is it ok? i'm still reading 20 pounds on an 8 pound spring, somethin isn't right...
Old 07-29-2006, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CivicDude2k4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is negative boost possible? i can see it possibly happening but not logically unless you really jacked somethin up. my boost gauge starts at zero, then has meters going clockwise and counter clockwise to read boost. i thought it would read going up (clockwise) but mine reads in reverse (counterclockwise). can you have negative boost? if so, what exactly is it and what causes it? how do you fix it? and my gauge is reading 20 pounds on an 8 pound wastegate spring in reverse mode for the record, so i'm totally lost here. gauge is tee'd into the vaccum line from my AI manifold to my fuel pressure regulator, and so is my FMU. maybe where i have somethin else tee'd in the same line it throws it off? no clue, any help?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I am guessing you didn't turbo this car?

vaccum is normal.
Old 07-29-2006, 09:36 PM

Default Re: NEGATIVE BOOST???? (Minglor)

yes i'm sure i put a turbo on it. my concern was that i thought the gauge would go the other direction (clockwise), so i was worried somethin was wrong since it was going the other direction. that also leaves me hanging with a read of 20 pounds of boost on an 8 pound spring. any explanation on that one?
Old 07-29-2006, 09:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you damn kids are gonna hurt yourselfs

thats called vacuum. when you ARENT in boost the engine has to suck its own air in, thats why its called *gasp* vacuum! its measured in inches of vacuum. you have 20" of vacuum. not 20psi.

you will not have boost till the car is under load (driving, and giving it gas)

Old 07-29-2006, 09:52 PM

Default Re: NEGATIVE BOOST???? (Kamin)

thank you, that answered my question. its not that i'm totally senseless in this project its just i was lost on that whole scenario. so can you explain to me why oil is coming out my exhaust? long story short i just finished the project and started my car yesterday for the first time. theres a strange mix of what seems to be oil and water coming out where my downpipes bolts the turbo....its either water and oil or really thin oil. i'm using Q performance synthetic. one thing i do know, whether its oil or both, it shouldn't be coming out the exhaust....its a brand new oil-cooled t3/t4 turbo and i'd hate to think the seals internally are bad
Old 07-29-2006, 10:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

water from the exhaust is normal, actually a good thing

are you 110% sure its oil?
Old 07-30-2006, 12:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

this thread made me laugh! -20psi!!

vacuum is normal, 20" is good, water out the exhaust is normal, oil in the charge pipes is bad, check em

what size feed line you usin
Old 07-30-2006, 05:34 AM

Default Re: (turbotime)

well everyone learns sometime, now i can make fun of the next kid tryin to do what i am.

and yes there is oil in my chrage pipe. only a little bit, but its in there none the less. nice to have bad seals on a brand new turbo huh?

well thanks to everyone who made me feel like a dumbass, i deserved it though. and thanks everyone for helpin me out
Old 07-31-2006, 08:09 AM

Default Re: (turbotime)

well everyone learns sometime, now i can make fun of the next kid tryin to do what i am.

and yes there is oil in my chrage pipe. only a little bit, but its in there none the less. nice to have bad seals on a brand new turbo huh?

well thanks to everyone who made me feel like a dumbass, i deserved it though. and thanks everyone for helpin me out
Old 07-31-2006, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CivicDude2k4)

Yea people learn BEFORE they do things.... or the process of natural selection takes place and rids us of stupid people to better ourselves. It just strikes me silly that you really asked the question, and then you actually had to think whether you actually installed the turbo or not. If you have read at ALL, you would see dozens of threads asking what RPM will my turbo spool at? Why do they ask that question..... hmm, because the car for one has to be moving to make boost and has to be under load. I can go on and on..... just try to research before you ask mindless questions. I can already guess your next question on Honda-Tech.... "Why the hell did my car blow up after 30 seconds of driving it?"