Need turbo selection advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need turbo selection advice

I am putting together a turbo kit for a B16 setup on stock compression and want to get a turbo that will provide fast spool up for a autocross type course.

Was looking at the T3 family since the manifold is a T3 flange but want to find a turbo that isn't too pricey to suit the need. Ultimate power is not the goal as the car won't be for top speed... mostly stab and go acceleration. something that gives supercharger like response in the low to mid range should do.

Any recommendations on where to start ? Not sure how to read a compressor map for this particular application as most people would normally avoid a peaky setup like this.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:22 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: Need turbo selection advice

What's the definition of "not too pricey?" Give a number
thanks for stating a goal and purpose. Supercharger-like response is typically about 220whp or so, which stays in the T3 /T3 family.

If you can't read a compressor map, cool, but look at some setups on here that might be similar to what you're trying to achieve.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Something in the 48-50 trim with a .48 hot side will give you good response and mid power but lack up top and will top out at around 280-300whp. It will also be a less expensive turbo than moving to the BB turbos.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not too pricey is a bit vague... for a quality turbo I'd be willing to spend up to $1000, but am hoping that there is something about that I would be able to select from as far as factory turbos that may serve the need. I can read the basics of compressor maps but honestly can't seem to translate them into useable power delivery, etc... maybe I need a compressor maps for dummies book.

200-300whp is all well and good... but likely I will need to keep the power around 250whp so as not to break out of class into the territory of higher powered awd cars that will murder me on the short course. But honestly... I need low end power... and a supercharger is just not a good option for my situation.

I figured a straight T3 would be the obvious option and hoping to get some good spool characteristics without going to BB prices.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok, the "280" your looking for will be "fun" & "cool" for about 2 days. then you will want more and be disappointed. my recommendation to you and singly the best turbo for the money right now with your auto x goal is the precision 5858sp. it can give you the "280" but once you realize 280 is whack it will have the potential to get you all the way up to 500 no problem. whats even better is you'll be able to drive your car around town WITHOUT making boost if you don't want to. believe me when your just driving around theres no need to stress your engine with always having to make boost. the 5858 makes full boost on my b16 at 4900rpm WITH A 83AR (thats big btw for a b16) so the 62 will spool lil quicker. I recommend you call brad at AFI turbo he's having a sale right now and his precision prices are unbeatable. MOST importantly bro if you are short on cash don't force the build. go piece by piece, build it once build it right, words to live by. if you need to see a dyne chart i just posted one up in another thread you can find it through my profile....theres not much 5858 info out yet so this may help. it will show you just how bad *** the 5858 is my STOCK SLEEVE, STOCK BORE B16 putting amazing numbers, 475hp 312tq on PUMP only. an thats at LOW boost 18.5 psi and my car is 100% time attack built (I'm not into straight line racing either) and my daily driver.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Δ just wanted to point out his goals are very clear that he is planning on it being an Autocross car, doesn't sound like he's looking for the option of 500hp down the road as that would not suit his sport at all. From my experience autcross is alot of first and second gear, maybe touching 3rd. To me this would translate to wanting a Turbo that spools in the 3500-4k rpm range and efficiently makes 210-240whp, hard to imagine any more power being usable. So if I have this right all he's missing is how much he is willing to spend....
Old 03-20-2012, 03:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Motox122jk
Δ just wanted to point out his goals are very clear that he is planning on it being an Autocross car, doesn't sound like he's looking for the option of 500hp down the road as that would not suit his sport at all. From my experience autcross is alot of first and second gear, maybe touching 3rd. To me this would translate to wanting a Turbo that spools in the 3500-4k rpm range and efficiently makes 210-240whp, hard to imagine any more power being usable. So if I have this right all he's missing is how much he is willing to spend....
i agree with you to a point whereas I've seen a single cam 87 crx destroy everything from porsche to m3 within 10 laps, but it is nice to have the option. here is my dis agree.... it don't matter what precision turbo you go with from journal 5758 to 6762 they all are pretty much the same money. so why not pick a versatile one.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheShodan
What's the definition of "not too pricey?" Give a number
thanks for stating a goal and purpose. Supercharger-like response is typically about 220whp or so, which stays in the T3 /T3 family.

If you can't read a compressor map, cool, but look at some setups on here that might be similar to what you're trying to achieve.
I would also agree about the 220whp, but more in regards to allowing a FWD vehicle to put down all its power and to be able to be used. In other words, you point, and it goes. Anything more then this and you will need a lot more suspension work. For this reason I went with a D16 and used a 15G which netted 210whp. IMO for autocross that is the right amount of power to keep up with the best of them, although I wouldn't mind a better coilover setup. Keep in mind that a 15G is way to small for that motor so don't use it :-)
Old 03-20-2012, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds to me like nobody is really listening to what your goals are, or offering any good advice. I think 240-250 whp is a great goal for what your looking to do. Here's 3 turbo's to con-sider.

-60 trim T3
.48 a/r turbine, .60 a/r compressor cost is about $600, This turbo will do what you want, and make 250 whp, it will spool very fast like 3000 rpm, and make great mid band power.
It will fall flat before 8000 rpm though, so it wouldn't be my first choice.

-PTE 4831B T3/T4B
Cost is also about $600 .48 a/r T3 turbine, .50 a/r 48 trim B compressor. This turbo would probably be my choice for for your situation. It will easily do 250 whp, with a bit of room to grow, and will still spool pretty fast, I would guess around 3300-3500 rpm. Plus it wont fall flat on the top end.

-T2860RS Disco potato
Baller choice, $1200 turbo, ball bearing. Will probably spool faster than a 60 trim t3 like at or below 3000 rpm, will support 250 whp with room to grow, won't fall flat in the high rpm range. All around the best choice, if you want to spend double the money, I wouldn't but I'm a cheap ***, I have a precision turbo.

Hope this will be helpfull.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

depends on the course. if it's a tight one the car will be easier to drive and probably quicker NA. the jacksons are also effective at autocross

if the course is longer and you can put the power down the disco potato is the one i would go to. the biggest you really want to go is a 50 trim and the .48 hotside seems small for a vtec head. the .63 usually makes a better power band from the dynos i've seen.

a cast manifold will also give you that instant response vs a better breathing but slightly laggier ramhorn.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:49 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Or better yet, a tubular log manifold like those used by Go-Autowerks and spoolin performance. Better fitment than any cast, and their matching downpipe allows for flawless integration.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that go autoworks stuff is nice for what it costs. i finally got to see one of these kits the other day. it was the cast manifold / downpipe combo. for $519 no one can touch that quality. still haven't seen there spoolin style tube log yet but that's a great point about buying a package manifold/downpipe/dump