Notices

In need of some FI advise!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 07:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In need of some FI advise!!!

I'm fairly new to the whole FI world and I am in the middle of having my engine rebuilt with low comp pistons. I've been reading quite diligently on this forum trying to soak up as much info as i can about FI so i don't blow up my car again, god knows i can't afford it. I've been attempting to read alot about FMU's but i don't know what would be good for my application...

I'm going to be running low boost...for now, simply because i'm lacking an IC and the funds for it... about 6psi. I have Arias Forged Pistons with a 9:1:1 comp in a K20a3 motor. I also have all the little things that came with the Greddy kit for the 2002 Civic Si. Pretty sure the Injectors are 440cc but i could be wrong but i know it's in that ballpark, Greddy Type-S BOV, Missing link too. In addition, I'm leaving the E-manage the way is unless i need to alter it to tune it. I got autometer boost and A/F gauges to keep an eye on things, should i get any others?

I'm really looking for something that i can use to tune the car myself once i gain enough knowledge to do so, i'm in school for it now so it shouldn't be long. Is the S-AFC the thing i'm looking for??? I would go K-pro but Money IS tight so i'm looking for something quality yet inexpensive to serve my purposes.

Please any insight would be a HUGE help in my efforts to get moving again, i miss it soooo much.

Thank you in advance gods of FI! (bowing humbly)

-Justin

Modified by djvtoner at 5:00 PM 10/6/2004
Old 10-06-2004, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: In need of some FI advise!!! (djvtoner)

First you should get an intercooler, Buy a cheap one from ebay and get pipe from Jcwhitney and make it yourself. It isnt that hard just time consuming. The E-manage is tunable so find someone that know how to tune it and bring it to them, I beleive it way better then running shitty FMU or Hack.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:22 AM

The GReddy kit injectors are 440cc. If your GReddy kit is one of the older ones, you might run a little rich once you start out because the old e-manage maps were on the safe side. This wont hurt your engine, but you will choke out occasionally if you have the old maps, email Kenji @ greddy.com if it happens and you can have him reflash it for you. If you plan to run a test pipe instead of a cat then you don’t have to worry about checking the cat, my '02 Type-S has the GReddy kit, but my cat was completely destroyed and suffocating the exhaust. So make sure to check the condition of the honeycombs inside the cat to make sure there isn’t any warping. The GReddy kit is pretty good, and I didn’t run into any problems other than the emanage maps, make sure you wire everything carefully and solder the connections. There is one thicker black wire that you have to strip or you'll run a check engine light (I believe it is the one going to the knock sensor but I’m not sure)

In terms of tuning I've seen software out there for tuning the emanage yourself (you wont need the apex afc), I haven’t looked to buy it so I’m not exactly sure which places carry them. If you can save up the money, I would suggest getting the Kpro because u can fully tune it; the emanage is still limited in its ability to adjust the ECM tasks because like the afc it is still only a piggyback fuel computer.

Since you’re running 9:1 I think you can run the stock GReddy psi (7-9 I think?) with no problems at all and I don’t think you'll blow it, I've had my kit on the stock 11.1 compression for about 10k miles and I haven’t run into anything.

Some people suggest getting an egt gauge to keep an eye on your exhaust temps, but I don’t use them. I would advise that you get a turbo timer in the near future so you wont have to deal with waiting for the turbo to cool down and run oil through itself.

Hope this helps, check the ask GReddy thread in the clubrsx.com F/I forums if you have any other questions as you’re working, good luck.
Old 10-06-2004, 09:10 AM

Default Re: (cslau)

cslau:
Thanks alot! That was very helpfull! I do have the Greddy turbo timer i just had't put it on yet...my car blew up really quick .

Does anyone know how big of an intercooler should i get since it's not already sized like an intercooler in a kit would be??? where would i have to get the piping bent?