Notices

Need MSD Help ASAP Having MAJOR PROBLEMS PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 10:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need MSD Help ASAP Having MAJOR PROBLEMS PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Hi,

I am haveing some issues going on with my MSD unit right now. Someone please try to shed some light on this problem so I can have it fixed in the morning.

Info about the car.

1990 Integra running a Turbo Charged ITR Engine with a Hondata S300.

Today, I went a head and tried to install the MSD unit on the car but I got nothing but problems with it. I got the MSD Multi Spark Discharge, MSD Coil, MSD Wires, and MSD Cap. I wired everything according to the MSD instructions which came with the MSD unit it self. The unit part number is MSD-6200.

If you look on page 22 of the instruction booklet found off MSDs website, HONDA IGNITIONS Wiring a Honda with a Blaster Coil and Power Cap that is exactly how I wired it up. Here is a link to the PDF file from MSDs website.

http://www.msdignition.com/pdf...s.pdf

A simple recap of how I wired it up....

Big Red Wire to Battery +
Big Black Wire to Battery - or a very good solid ground.

MSD Orange wire to Coil +
MSD Black wire to Coil -

MSD Red Wire to Distributor + (which came off the coil that was pulled off)
MSD White Wire to Distributor - (which came off the coil that was pulled off)

Now here is the problem which I am having with this unit hooked up. When the car was running on stock ignition, when you start the car up and it sits at idle, its reading 16 degree advanced timing off the S300 along with when you check it with the timing light.

When the MSD is hooked up, for some ODD reason its reading 34 degree advanced timing on the S300 and with a timing light.

What gives? Why would the timing get advanced by 18 + degree when this MSD box has nothing to do with timing controls unless I am reading something wrong about what this unit does?

Can someone please help me out on figuring out what is going on and why the MSD box is acting up like this? Ive never done a MSD install on a Honda before so I really have no clue on why its doing this.

Any and every help / opinion / advice would be great.

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-22-2006, 10:42 PM

Unless your 750hp+ there is no need to mess with the stock honda ignition setup at all.
take that off and get your money back
Old 04-22-2006, 10:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (cyph3r)

:and enters bandwagon:hey what's up , we're too tough for msd ignition..we run on stock ignition to get our honda's to the moon.-
Old 04-22-2006, 11:33 PM

Default Re: (espanol)

Well, looks like after talking with cyph3r and reading a few other posts made a while back, it would be best to take all the MSD stuff off and just run the SS Coil Blaster with Cap / Wires and get rid of the MSD Box all in all.

Hopefully, that will solve the advanced timing issues I have been having with the unit.

Old 04-22-2006, 11:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need MSD Help ASAP Having MAJOR PROBLEMS PLEASE HELP!!!!! (90TegraB18C)

I had the same problem. but mine was the opposite. My timing was retarded when I installed the MSD ignition. I just adjusted my distributor and set timing back to 16. I dont know why your S300 showed 34 degrees timing. The timing displayed when you datalog doesn't go off your mechnical timing, it displays the timing that you have in your timing map. For example, if you engine is set to 24 degrees advanced by timing light and your timing map is on 15 degrees, then the hondata will display 15 degrees. Hopefully that makes sense.
Old 04-23-2006, 08:31 AM

Default Re: Need MSD Help ASAP Having MAJOR PROBLEMS PLEASE HELP!!!!! (crucian)

With out the MSD the Hondata displays 16 degree advanced. With the MSD the Hondata displays 34 degree advanced. Guess its time to bust out the timing light and really see WTF is going on with the car.

Thanks for the help.

Old 04-24-2006, 05:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need MSD Help ASAP Having MAJOR PROBLEMS PLEASE HELP!!!!! (90TegraB18C)

make sure that the idle is the same. Also, datalog and look at your timing map to see what column it is reading from.