Notices

need ideas.... car not starting

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 04:08 PM
ME LOVE U LONG TIME

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need ideas.... car not starting

here is the deal.... car was boosted before.... everything worked fine...

pulled the motor to build it... its in. ready to go, relocated the battery to front floor board.

starter doesn't turn over when i turn the key, starter turns when i jump it via starter power to starter signal....

checked all the fuses, jumped the clutch switch

any ideas?
Old 01-16-2008, 04:37 PM
ME LOVE U LONG TIME

no ideas anyone?
Old 01-16-2008, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tannerLSt)

does the fuel pump prime when you turn the ignition on?
Old 01-16-2008, 05:48 PM
ME LOVE U LONG TIME

Default Re: (trav95civic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by trav95civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">does the fuel pump prime when you turn the ignition on?</TD></TR></TABLE>
fuel pump primes, cluster lights come on(no dimming)

when i try to start the lights on the a/c controls go out
Old 01-16-2008, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check all ground connections on the motor, sounds like to me there is some kind of back feed problem in the electrical.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:04 PM
ME LOVE U LONG TIME

i've check the grounds.... i guess i'll check them again tomorrow but they are all tight
Old 01-16-2008, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you are sure all ground connections are good then your best bed would to get a voltmeter, make sure that you have power coming from the ignition to the starter selenoid. If you got a helms manual for your car it will be your bible when dealing with electrical connections. Your loosing power somewhere, could be something simple as a bad connection in a plug or even just a split wire
Old 01-16-2008, 06:14 PM
ME LOVE U LONG TIME

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by trav95civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you are sure all ground connections are good then your best bed would to get a voltmeter, make sure that you have power coming from the ignition to the starter selenoid. If you got a helms manual for your car it will be your bible when dealing with electrical connections. Your loosing power somewhere, could be something simple as a bad connection in a plug or even just a split wire</TD></TR></TABLE>

well i'm guessing it MIGHT be a bad connection, cause everything worked fine before, i pulled the motor out 6-7 months ago , and the car has been sitting ever since... only thing i did different was relocate the battery to fit my catchcan
Old 01-16-2008, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ive had wiring problems myself on my eg. IMO there the worst thing to figure out on a car just b/c the problem can be near impossible to find without the manual or a meter. then you can feel completely stupid when you find wat the issue was haha. But gl with finding the problem man
Old 01-16-2008, 06:29 PM
ME LOVE U LONG TIME

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by trav95civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ive had wiring problems myself on my eg. IMO there the worst thing to figure out on a car just b/c the problem can be near impossible to find without the manual or a meter. then you can feel completely stupid when you find wat the issue was haha. But gl with finding the problem man </TD></TR></TABLE>

ya i'm not all about finding some electrical problems... its gonna suck...
thinking about just jumping the starter to start the car when i drive it... LOL j/k

might just end up paying someone to find out whats wrong!!!!!
Old 01-17-2008, 02:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, it doesn't make sense that the ignition switch would be the issue. If the fuel pump is priming, then power is getting to the main fuse under the hood, as well as to the main relay. This is all first in line, in terms of power distribution, so your positive side of the battery is mostlikely alright. Problems like this are almost always ground wires.

Track your ground wire and power back from the starter itself and be sure both are good. This is very likely a simple issue, you just need to find it.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:57 AM
ME LOVE U LONG TIME

Default Re: (RC000E)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RC000E &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well, it doesn't make sense that the ignition switch would be the issue. If the fuel pump is priming, then power is getting to the main fuse under the hood, as well as to the main relay. This is all first in line, in terms of power distribution, so your positive side of the battery is mostlikely alright. Problems like this are almost always ground wires.

Track your ground wire and power back from the starter itself and be sure both are good. This is very likely a simple issue, you just need to find it.</TD></TR></TABLE>
a simple issue that i don't feel like messing with... lol
hopefully i can get my buddy with a multimeter over here this weekend and try and track it down... i hate electrical ****! if i can't find the problems i'm just gonna take it to tony and have him find it!
that would be nice if it was just a ground
Old 01-17-2008, 05:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it was a ground i don't think it would start when you manually send 12v to the solenoid.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (tony1)

jeff's car randomly wouldnt start on the dyno in the middle of a tuning session, turned out the ignition switch simply just took a crap. it would start just fine when manually jumping the starter.

i also had a very similar problem on a supra, turned out a plug on the fuse box was unplugged by doubtful thats the problem on a honda.

will the car START when you jump the starter or just turn over?
Old 01-17-2008, 01:23 PM
ME LOVE U LONG TIME

Default Re: (Turbo-charged)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turbo-charged &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">jeff's car randomly wouldnt start on the dyno in the middle of a tuning session, turned out the ignition switch simply just took a crap. it would start just fine when manually jumping the starter.

i also had a very similar problem on a supra, turned out a plug on the fuse box was unplugged by doubtful thats the problem on a honda.

will the car START when you jump the starter or just turn over?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i haven't actually tried to start it, i was just making sure everything was working right, and i need to get some good gas in there, the car has been sitting for 6-7 months so i need to take that crap out and put some new gas in... i tried cranking it over with the spark plug wires out....

but it was having problems with the ignition before, when i got wheel hop or hit a big bump it would turn the car off, the key was turning back and shutting off the car... i swapped the ignition(only the part you put your key in) and it helped some, but if i remember right it still turned off every once and a while...
Old 01-18-2008, 03:06 AM
ME LOVE U LONG TIME

getting a multimeter over here saturday... any more ideas before then?
Old 01-19-2008, 08:47 AM
ME LOVE U LONG TIME

Default Re: (Turbo-charged)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turbo-charged &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">jeff's car randomly wouldnt start on the dyno in the middle of a tuning session, turned out the ignition switch simply just took a crap. it would start just fine when manually jumping the starter.

will the car START when you jump the starter or just turn over?</TD></TR></TABLE>

ok i threw the spark plugs in.... and NO ITS NOT STARTING.... no spark
Old 01-19-2008, 02:25 PM
ME LOVE U LONG TIME

fixed my starter problem.... it was the ignition.... but i'm still not getting spark. gotta get a new dizzy and see if thats my problem
Old 01-19-2008, 07:34 PM
ME LOVE U LONG TIME

got it running

thanks for the replys