Notices

Need help with TURBO VTEC

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2002, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with TURBO VTEC

Hey guys.

Once again, I've changed my plans. Finally, (I think) I've decided. I'm going to turbocharge my B16A1 with a Garrett T3...

First question, fuel management. I know that Zdyne and Hondata are the way to go, but I don't think I can afford it. How much are they anyway? Well I have a NOS inline fuel pump with a 10:1 FMU. I really would like to remap the ecu so I found this chip on ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1839175103 Any opinions?

Second, turbo manifold. I would like to retain my AC. Is this possible and with what manifold? I found this one on eBay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1837977027 Any opinions?

Also, I've heard a lot of feedback (+ and -) about turbocharging a Vtec motor. Could anyone give me a little pros/cons list? Opinions?

If you need any other info to help me, please ask. I appreciate all the help I've gotten in the past and hope you guys will continue to help.

Thanks,
Jeremy
Old 06-26-2002, 10:11 PM

Default Re: Need help with TURBO VTEC (BlznAzn23)

BTW, the B16A1 is from a 1991 Civic SiR and is now in a 1991 CRX Si.

Jeremy
Old 06-26-2002, 11:36 PM
New User

Obviously, you are new to this. Don't worry, we all gotta start somewhere.

First things first, yes, you can boost a vtec. Yes, you can make it reliable.

What mount kit are you using with your swap? Some mount kits will give you plenty of room - some will not. Secondly, unless you want to piece together your turbo setup, you will want a kit. http://www.revhard.com is the only company that makes a B series CRX turbo kit. I do not know if it allows retention of a/c, but I'm sure if you look it'll tell you on the website. The make or break part of your setup is going to be fuel management. FMU's, high fuel pressures, and retarded ignition timing is not the correct way to manage this. Companies like <A HREF="http://www.hondata.com" TARGET="_blank">http://www.hondata.com[/url] and Zdyne are the correct way of doing things. Either of these systems ( I recommend and tune Hondata systems) if tuned properly will make your setup reliable and powerful - even on a stock block.

Try a search in this forum, there is a HUGE resource of information to be learned from here. Lastly, I'm located in Tampa, so if you need any hands on help, custom fabrication, Hondata, dyno tuning, etc, I'm very close by.

[Modified by VaporTrail, 3:37 AM 6/27/2002]

[Modified by VaporTrail, 3:37 AM 6/27/2002]
Old 06-27-2002, 08:51 AM

Default Re: Need help with TURBO VTEC (VaporTrail)

Hey bud.

I guess you could say that I am fairly new to this, but I've been around forced induction for a while through friends. As for the mount kit, I used the Hasport mounts.

Like I said in the first post, I know that Hondata and Zdyne are the way to go, and I'd love to, but I don't think I can afford that right now. I want to have this done before I head out to college (2 months), then maybe upgrade as I get the funds. If it's not too expensive, I could try to scrape for funds as I do have a spare stock 91 Si ECU, but I consider myself very poor right now. How much would it be to reprogram the ecu anyway?

I actually looked into buying a kit, but thought it might be better to piece my kit together. As of now, I have a Garrett T3, large Greddy/Trust front mount intercooler, NOS inline fuel pump, 10:1 FMU, Blitz Boost Controller, Greddy Turbo Timer, and a Greddy Type S BOV. I'm almost there...I just need a manifold, then a few friends of mine are going to help me on the fabrication.

My main concerns are the fuel management questions, but is there anything else that I need to keep in mind while doing this setup? Also, after seeing my friends' turbo-ed cars, I think I'm willing to sacrifice the AC if I have to, so any suggestions about the manifold?

Thanks and talk to you soon,
Jeremy
Old 06-28-2002, 08:56 PM

Pushed down, bringing it up for any suggestions.

Jeremy
Old 06-28-2002, 10:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hehe, turbo b16a in crx. you are going to have a lot of fun putting it in. it would be nearly inpossible to put turbo in there and keeping the AC. i know, i just put my turbo in 2 weeks ago. you should get a front cross member from place racing or z10 bar, which will alow you to use the smaller radiator from 92+ civic. you can you the stock front cross member but you will have to cut and hamer it to fit the down pipe and intercooler pipe. you would also have to bend the radiator support forward to get more room and cut a whole throught the engine bay in the front. i'm using the same chip that you memtion about. it's crap, don't waist your money. it just increase you fuel delivery, change your vtec cross-over, and change rev limit. you still have to use a check valve for the MAP. my current setup is the chip, 450cc injectors, FPR, and VAFC. the car runs find at 5psi but when i set it for 8psi it's so hard to tune, i run too rich at no boost and run to lean at full boost. vafc only allows me to tune fuel accord to rpm, not boost. i'm planning on putting the inline fuel pump that came with my kit and putting the stock chip back in and using the vafc - 450cc method to tune it. hopes this help.