Notices

Need help on my car fmax prelude h22

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2002, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help on my car fmax prelude h22

I got my fmax kit installed on my prelude at a well known shop just few days ago...Since I got it back though the car has had several problems #1 After reachin 5000 rpm the car bogs and doesn't accelerate nemore.sometimes causing the car to shut off right after 5000 rpm.... (first night I noticed bottome hose to mf2 fuel injector was leaking fuel so I immediately fastened the hose clamp) #2 Funni noise under car when not in gear...(fixed:downpipe hitting under car)#3 Pipe connected to intercooler was disconnected from upper piping..most likely caused when hood closed and pipe not fastened tightly onto clamps..I noticed the pipe was not connected and I connected them back..thinkin might be runnin too rich if I drive the car to shop 40 min away with disconnected intercooler piping...
Since I got the car back three days ago..I have gone back twice to fix the problems..The second time I went back, my mechanic fixed the downpipe problem and indicated the car was boggin and not accelerating after 5000 rpm due to bad fuel management..so he opened the mf2 and changed some settings to his preference....When I was driving home from the shop about a mile down... I let the turbo spool up on first gear to 5000 and I heard a pop then the car shut off like it did the first day ...But now when i restarted the car there was a ticking sound like marbles in the engine? When i reved car the ticking got faster? I have no idea what just happened..I called one of my friends who is a mechanic and he said the I might of blew something in the motor....I was nervous that this possible detonation could of been caused when my mechanic turned some dials of the mf2.(but this was already one of the problems that I had the first day I got it back with preset fmax mf2 settings) I had the same problem with car shutting off.. so i turned them back to fmax presettings before driving back to shop and leavin in the garage...
It might be bad fuel mix, but I know the mf2 system was working cause the lights inside were functioning...

mods:apexi n1, fmax prelude kit with msd btm option
My mechanic is known to be experienced and nice person , but I was wondering...

What should I do? Who is liable considering the the kit is straight outta the box?
Old 07-28-2002, 10:28 AM
New User

Default Re: Need help on my car fmax prelude h22 (preludeh22AB)

shop is liable for any damages done to your car because of improper installation. hate to say it.. but that mf2 fuel mgmt sucks.
Old 07-28-2002, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE]...But now when i restarted the car there was a ticking sound like marbles in the engine? When i reved car the ticking got faster?

QUOTE]

AHHH....The great sound of detenation
Old 07-28-2002, 11:03 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

so he opened the mf2 and changed some settings to his preference....
but that mf2 fuel mgmt sucks.

this is exactly why people hate the MF2. you can't just open it up and start messing around. if you had Hondata, would you just start playing with settings to see if it made anything better? The MF2 dials are very sensitive and unless you know its running good, it needs to be tuned with a wideband to get it accurate.

No one pays any attention to this, then they say the MF2 sucks
Old 08-21-2002, 02:07 PM
New User

I have the same setup on a 98 h22, except i have hondata....I have the same power problem you do after 5000 rpm...after extensive research i discovered that the compressor trim on the fmax turbo is too small...good for fast spools but poor high end power. I hate to say this but i'm afraid that you might need a motor rebuild soon...sounds like you blew a piston ring....on H22s, that's the first thing to go if and when you detonate. I believe from here on out you will begin to lose compression in that cylinder and progessivesly lose power until it just won't start anymore. I hope you have some extra cash lying around cuz you need to start looking to do that rebuild...either that or get the stock piston rings replaced and get it back to N/A. Turbo on a stock H22 just doesn't cut it.
Old 08-21-2002, 03:34 PM

Default Re: Need help on my car fmax prelude h22 (smoothludey2)

yeah it definitely sounds like a fuel/tuning issue. the mf2 is ok if you never plan on adding to the kit..problem is...half the time the mf2 doesn't work! as for the marble sounds...it DOES sound like detonation...chances are you've blown a ring land or two...are you losing compression now? any blue smoke?
Old 08-21-2002, 04:10 PM
New User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmm. first of all the size of the turbo would have nothing to do with hesitation or sputtering. secondly.. detonation only happens during high load/full throttle situations.. not when you first start the engine up. where does it sound like the noise is coming from?? where did your mechanic make the adjustments in the mf2?? like.. which **** was he messing with and which **** did you "re-adjust?"
Old 08-21-2002, 04:51 PM
New User

Now that i think about it....the ticking might be a valve...either it's bent or you just need a valve adjustment.

supergreen..

the size of the turbo has nothing to do with hesitation...but it has alot to do with him not being able to make power after 5000rpm. His mechanic mistook the lack of power as an indication that he might be running rich and leaned it out...I'm wondering if he used a wide band O2 sensor to tune the car or he just simply cranked down the fuel....bad bad move.
Old 08-21-2002, 07:36 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Need help on my car fmax prelude h22 (smoothludey2)

he actually bent a rod... almost a 30 degree angle bend!