Notices

Need help on intercooler size

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 04:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help on intercooler size

Hi All,

Need some help on picking out an intercooler size.

I've been trying to search around and it seems very confusing. I've come down to one calculation based on HP and have come up with a general size, however the calculation does not include the setup (not sure if that matters). So here is the setup

Stock JDM B18C ITR
Ramhorn manifold
GT3076
10psi
2.5 piping

The core size I came up with was 9" x 22" x 3"

Would love to get some feedback on core size.

Thanks
Old 05-15-2015, 07:25 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Need help on intercooler size

The type of core will matter more than the size at this point. You need to figure out what you can afford to spend on a quality intercooler and then after knowing it's efficiency you can select a core. Most manufacturers rate their cores for you so choosing isn't very hard at all.

Why are you running that turbo at that low of a pressure? Do you have the parts already? What are your HP goals? Do you plan to grow? Many questions to consider answering. Most setups (within reason) you can't go too big on the intercooler but it is easy to go to small. Also, available airflow cooling the intercooler will have a big effect as well.
Old 05-15-2015, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by OneBadTurboCRV
The type of core will matter more than the size at this point. You need to figure out what you can afford to spend on a quality intercooler and then after knowing it's efficiency you can select a core. Most manufacturers rate their cores for you so choosing isn't very hard at all.

Why are you running that turbo at that low of a pressure? Do you have the parts already? What are your HP goals? Do you plan to grow? Many questions to consider answering. Most setups (within reason) you can't go too big on the intercooler but it is easy to go to small. Also, available airflow cooling the intercooler will have a big effect as well.
Thanks for the feedback! I will look into different quality of coolers.

Reason for the setup (haven't bought the parts yet, except for motor) is I'm looking to use it for lapping purposes while leaving it as a stock motor. Looking for low to mid 300's, I do not plan to change anything in the future.
Old 05-15-2015, 11:16 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

In that case there are definitely better turbo options out there. First, what do you mean by lapping? Are you talking AutoX, Road Racing, etc?
Old 05-15-2015, 01:29 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

He's got a good turbo base to start from, but needs to stay within its efficiency range whenever possible. He'll realize that as he goes to different courses, he'll need to tune above his normal comfort level so that he can keep up.

In the meantime,

Intercooler types and sizes
Old 05-15-2015, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The car will be used for road racing.

Great feedback!

I would love to hear alternatives on turbo setups. I decided on the gt3076 due to the efficency based on 1.68 (compressor graphs), however please provide feedback.

Thanks for the link on the intercooler, great info
Old 05-16-2015, 10:59 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by 20vsleeper
The car will be used for road racing.

Great feedback!

I would love to hear alternatives on turbo setups. I decided on the gt3076 due to the efficency based on 1.68 (compressor graphs), however please provide feedback.

Thanks for the link on the intercooler, great info
On tracks across Europe, you'll rarely, if ever hit 1.68bar on a B-series Honda in Road racing, unless you're going to the South course of "The Ring".

1.7-1.8 is maximum efficiency for that wheel, and even then, its just under 52lbs/min. Plenty for the turbine wheel to go with, but there are other derivatives you can convert that CHRA to , in order to have a bit more room work with it, in the midrange where you'll need it most.