Notices

need help with infinitude final drive install

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default need help with infinitude final drive install

i am having trouble getting the gears to mesh right on my new infinitude final drive.it is like the countershaft is sitting to low,causing the gears to not mesh correctly and make a clunking sound when you try torotate the diff.you can tell how much lower it sits in the pic below if you look at 4th gear.they do not line up properly.of course the snap ring will not go in because hte shaft sits to low.is the countershaft supposed to come up and the snap ring hold it in the correct place?the guy from infinitude tells me that i might need some jdm tranny parts to make it work.the parts he mentioned are:
1st gear 23421-P80-E30
Distance collar 23914-P80-E30
Needle bearing 91107-P80-E31
has anybody done this before,or know what i need to do?btw,this is a 97itr tranny
Old 03-12-2006, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need help with infinitude final drive install (turbotypeR)

anybody?please help
Old 03-19-2006, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm not an expert with B series transmissions, but I have quite a bit of experience with H series transmissions. I recently rebuilt the tranny in my track car last season with an FD, Kaaz LSD, and new synchros sets.

Anyway, the point of my post is that my transmission looked exactly the same, even with all the stock parts. I *believe* the reason is that the groove in the bearing on the countershaft is captured by the snap ring in the transmission housing. This holds the countershaft in place, and in fact, when in this position, the countershaft is slightly higher than it is in your picture, hence the slight misalignment and the reason why it looks like your countershaft is too low.

Also, on my transmission (and I assume yours is the same), when you try to turn the input shaft with the transmission case off the transmission clutch housing (as in your picture), the lowest part of the countershaft rubs on the final drive gear causing the sound you're hearing.

One last note. The snap ring won't go into the groove on the bearing when the transmission is sitting clutch housing side down. I've always had to turn the transmission casing "upside down" and I can actually hear the snap ring capture the groove in the bearing when I've done this.

In addition to my transmission work, I've installed around 8 LSDs in H series transmissions. On each one, they all looked like this, and on all of them, I had to turn the transmission casing over after everything was torqued to get the snap ring to capture the bearing. I haven't had a transmission come back yet after an LSD install. Good luck!
Old 03-19-2006, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine looked the same...

(d15b motor, ex housing & gears, infinitude 4.9 fd, obx lsd)

it looks like that, but when you put it together and bolt it to correct specs, it runs fine. it did a lot of grinding at first start up. after about the first day of driving it, do an oil change... lots of bs in the fluid. check out my forum i did on this...

http://www.d-series.org/forums...37082
Old 03-19-2006, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need help with infinitude final drive install (hatchkid96)

i got it.it was the countershaft falling down.after working on it all day saturday,i finally got it.you have to hold your tongue just right
Old 03-19-2006, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a real easy way to do this. Take a screw driver stick it in the hole where the snap ring is that goes on the countershaft bearing. Pry up on the countershaft with the screw driver while pushing the top case on and holding the snap ring open. It works like a charm
Old 03-19-2006, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you got the problem sorted mate