Notices

278hp GSR on crome

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 278hp GSR on crome

so yesterday i went and got tuned up at bellingham with crescent (from c-speedracing.com). i was hoping to at least get 280-300hp, but i'm satsified none the less. i've been myself, so i just wanted to get the tune over with. lol i've been running on a fmu setup for nearly a year.

anyways, thanks the jason from CRPturbo for the fabrication and work, thanks to crescent for the tune, thanks to viren for the turbo, thanks to tony1 for the advice, thanks to honda sport for the muscle work, and thanks to the other honda-tech members who sold me stuff and answered my questions.

setup:
stock gsr block and head
garrett t3/to4e .63a/r .57trim
crp extend log style top mount manifold
crp 3inch to 2.5inch down pipe
crp 2.5inch ic pipes
open dumptube
ssac intercooler 27x6x3.5
apexi gt spec exhaust (2.5inch piping)
38mm tial wastegate - 9psi
greddy type RS bov
255 walbro fuel pump
saturated RC550 injectors
action 2ks clutch and 12lb flywheel
magnaflow high flow cat
stock ignition
p28 on crome
NGK heat range 9 spark plugs

max hp: 278
max torque: 189

*sorry for the bad pic. shop didn't have internet access through dyno computer. so i just took a picture of the graph with my camera phone. lol i'll try to take a better one later today.

the wbo2 sensor was placed after my cat, i don't know if that would make a real big difference. response is sooo much better now than before with the fmu. the car feels real solid.

i think we hit 279, but the 278 is what we ended at with a nicer graph and better a/f. a weird thing was that the air filter on the turbo fell off and we happened to make more power with it off. when we put it back on for a run, we made 264hp.

any comments? i had a victor X manifold, but i didnt have the time to install it.

Modified by undercoverdc2 at 3:25 AM 3/16/2006
Old 03-15-2006, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 278hp GSR on crome (undercoverdc2)

any pics of the car and engine bay?
Old 03-15-2006, 09:25 AM

How much boost?
Old 03-15-2006, 09:25 AM

Default Re: 278hp GSR on crome (lalspeed)

what was the boost setting
Old 03-15-2006, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 278hp GSR on crome (vtac sonn)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtac sonn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what was the boost setting</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by undercoverdc2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
setup:
stock gsr block and head
garrett t3/to4e .63a/r .57trim
crp extend log style top mount manifold
crp 3inch to 2.5inch down pipe
crp 2.5inch ic pipes
open dumptube
ssac intercooler 27x6x3.5
apexi gt spec exhaust (2.5inch piping)
38mm tial wastegate - 9psi
greddy type RS bov
255 walbro fuel pump
saturated RC550 injectors
action 2ks clutch and 12lb flywheel
magnaflow high flow cat
stock ignition
p28 on crome
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 03-15-2006, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

9psi. hahaha i was thinking i should've made that more clear.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:20 AM

Default Re: (undercoverdc2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by undercoverdc2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">9psi. hahaha i was thinking i should've made that more clear.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i guess im an idiot because i looked over it 5 times to make sure it didnt say anything before i posted to keep from getting flamed
Old 03-15-2006, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (vtac sonn)

a/f curve is pretty flat but looks a little lean to me. from the graph you are at about mid to high 12:1 afr. i would feel better if it was more like mid to high 11's
Old 03-15-2006, 10:55 AM

i think that motor has alot more potential than what u got out of it on this run.

Old 03-15-2006, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah i'm thinking he did a pretty conservative tune.

my motor is really strong (seriously) for a stock motor. lol compression is straight 235 across (1psi more in one or two cylinders). doesn't burn any oil and never smokes. first time i saw it smoke was yesterday during the dyno session.

i had put 550's in a couple weeks ago, and my ecu was chipped incorrectly, so the ecu was thinking i had 240's in. i ended up flooding the motor with fuel. i reinstalled 240's with my fmu and the motor seemed to smoke a little bit as i let off the throttle. but that's just what my cousin told me when he was driving behind me.

this car took 3 hours to tune to this point, and i'm guessing you guys have an idea of what i paid. i really want more power, but paying more money for tuning again is just not in my budget anymore. lol

i'd like more opinions on whether or not this motor has more power to give out, or just call it quits. the car isn't my daily driver anymore...
Old 03-15-2006, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dpetro1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dpetro1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">a/f curve is pretty flat but looks a little lean to me. from the graph you are at about mid to high 12:1 afr. i would feel better if it was more like mid to high 11's</TD></TR></TABLE>

The wideband sniffer usually reads leaner since it is at the end of the exhaust...
Old 03-15-2006, 12:36 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: (91dxcrx)

one point leaner, actually
Old 03-15-2006, 12:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (wantboost)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wantboost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">one point leaner, actually</TD></TR></TABLE>

It depends on the state of the exhaust. But its usually in there somewhere.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by undercoverdc2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i'd like more opinions on whether or not this motor has more power to give out, or just call it quits. the car isn't my daily driver anymore...</TD></TR></TABLE>

You could make more power with that motor ... especially when there are 300whp LS motors running around.

I would say your exhaust is your most limiting factor. I would strive for a 3" DP and exhaust as my next move. Ditch the cat.

The log mani would not be my choice if max WHP was the goal ....but thats just me.

I would say 3" DP/exhaust and a retune with a little more PSI (10-12) and you're in 300whp + easy

Nice job as is though
Old 03-15-2006, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thats not bad at all man. Good job. If you get rid of your cat and get some 3" exhaust piping you should be able to make more power. Make it an even 10 psi and you should be able to hit that 300 mark. Shouldnt take that long to retune either.
Old 03-15-2006, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Congrats on the set up seem strong. i agree with jfoster about getting the 3" dp and exhaust, but either way nice numbers. How much timing did you have overall? and what was your baseline.

Also what kind of filter did you use for the turbo??

Old 03-15-2006, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks guys. i don't know about dishin out more money for a new exhaust. hahaha. paying for tuning is already a wallet hurter. i can get a straight pipe made to get rid of the cat, but i don't know how much i would gain from that. i'm leaning towards leaving the car as it is now. i have another car that i'm considering to build a block for.
Old 03-15-2006, 04:58 PM
TurboJesse

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wantboost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">one point leaner, actually</TD></TR></TABLE>

i wouldn't say that all the time..
Old 03-15-2006, 05:02 PM

Default Re: (undercoverdc2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by undercoverdc2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah i'm thinking he did a pretty conservative tune.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
iunno man, 12.4 doesnt seem to conservative to me.
i dnt like to see my A/F get out of the 11's on a conservative tune. just my 2 cents.

but these guys have a hit on the lean out point.

does the car pull hard and run good?
whats ur goal of this motor?
Old 03-15-2006, 05:17 PM

Default Re: (Acrappyhatch)

I also agree you need to upgrade to a 3 inch downpipe and exhaust, ditch the cat. Mid 12's is way too lean like everybody else has said. I would have told the tuner to keep it around 11.8:1. Do you not have a boost controller? You defintely need to turn the boost up, you have another 50whp out of that motor no problem. Sweet powerband though.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PhoenixTurboJesse)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PhoenixTurboJesse &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i wouldn't say that all the time..</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have seen less than .1 AFR difference between our tail pipe O2 and an M300 10" from the turbo. But then again I didn't put the m300 in the tail pipe to confirm they were the same...so disregard that
Old 03-15-2006, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Acrappyhatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Acrappyhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
iunno man, 12.4 doesnt seem to conservative to me.
i dnt like to see my A/F get out of the 11's on a conservative tune. just my 2 cents.

but these guys have a hit on the lean out point.

does the car pull hard and run good?
whats ur goal of this motor?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i didn't even know what to expect for a/f, but on my graph is pretty much straight 12's...the car runs decent. a lot better than on the FMU. LOL, but i really don't have any other car to compare it to right now unless i go on a street racing rampage. i'm hoping to hit the test n tune session this sunday to see some times. but goal wise, i was looking for 280-300. but obviously if i turn up the boost, it'd be easily achieviable.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beerbongskickass &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I also agree you need to upgrade to a 3 inch downpipe and exhaust, ditch the cat. Mid 12's is way too lean like everybody else has said. I would have told the tuner to keep it around 11.8:1. Do you not have a boost controller? You defintely need to turn the boost up, you have another 50whp out of that motor no problem. Sweet powerband though. </TD></TR></TABLE>

for now, i'm gonna swing off the cat and get a straight pipe made. i don't have my plx m500 wideband o2 anymore, so i can't tell what the a/f exactly. i have an extra o2 bung about 10inches away from the turbo too, maybe i'll try to run it on that bung next time. i borrowed a MBC, but didn't hook it up. i agree with the look of the powerband, it looks great in imo.

it's just the numbers that somewhat disappoint me.

i'm running heat range 9 plugs during the dyno session.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

where's honda sport's props?? hahahahha...good numbers yee. I'd like to see a lil bit more tq though. good numbers for that size turbo and psi.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i edited it while you were about to post there it is up top!! ^^ hahaha
Old 03-15-2006, 06:43 PM
HELLO,GOOD MORNIN'

Default Re: (Bailhatch)

i believe there is hidden power there, but if you are happy with your set upp leave it as is. @9psi you should be 285-290ish with over 200ftlbs. if you like it keep it. but i know a few lS that would make you made if you ran them. .

we do things big here in Texas. maybe becuase we have tony1

Quick Reply: 278hp GSR on crome