Notices

need help!!!!!! engine mgn.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help!!!!!! engine mgn.

Sorry to ask such a general question but i have searched and searched and don't know what to go with. Is hondata going to work well with my setup, is the aem ems worth the price? By the way when it was just a turbo slapped on the b18 i used a ecu hack and it sucked *****. TIA

my mods
Block B18B 84mm Golden Eagle

GSR Girdle (Oh yeah if you have a GSR Pan/W. Tray/ Pickup for sale hit me up)
Polished Crank CTR Crank Pully and Exdey 9Lb Fly wheel

CP 84mm Pistons and Eagle Rods All have been Balanced

ITR Manifold made to Fit a LS head

DPR Head with Dule V.S. and Ti Ret.

Crower 62402T Cams and RACE Eng. Cam Gears

Garrett T3/T4 Turbo with Custom Mainfold and TaIl 35mm Wastegate
Old 02-09-2004, 03:14 PM
aka010010

go with the AEM ems, its worth it. hondata is more for people with stock internals. ur car or block is built and u doint want it to blow up...plus AEM is a full standalone, while hondata is a piggyback. im using hondata, and its ok for a stock motor.
Old 02-09-2004, 03:23 PM

Default Re: need help!!!!!! engine mgn. (IntegraXSi)

What kind of a ECU hack did you do? I say get the Hondata, that's because I haven't met anyone with the AEM. I'm not really familiar with that one. Just research some more. We have a RSX Type S with a 16g and a 97prelude with 18g and both have Hondatas. They're lovin it. Me, can't afford it yet. I just have the greddy profec e01 and still messin with it. Good luck.
Old 02-09-2004, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (aka010010)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by aka010010 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">go with the AEM ems, its worth it. hondata is more for people with stock internals. ur car or block is built and u doint want it to blow up...plus AEM is a full standalone, while hondata is a piggyback. im using hondata, and its ok for a stock motor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

you might want to rethink what you just said.

hondata isnt a piggyback. its also not for a stock motor, ive made 540 whp on a hondata unit, its certainly capable of producing power.

however i do like the aem ems, not because its not capable, but it has more features.
Old 02-09-2004, 03:33 PM
aka010010

yes it can make power. but his set up is a bult motor... and i just belive that with some much invested in to a motor, it should have a full standalone. seems much better and with the options, like u mentions, he/she can do the tuning. Cauz who knows better and more abour there own car then the owner themself.
Old 02-09-2004, 03:35 PM
aka010010

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mase &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">however i do like the aem ems, not because its not capable, but it has more features.</TD></TR></TABLE>

do u mean to say it is "capable" and not "not capable"
Old 02-09-2004, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

blah, i meant to say, not because hondata isnt capable, but because aem ems has more features
Old 02-09-2004, 06:13 PM

Default Re: (Mase)

thanks alot guys i think that i will go with the ems. but if there is any one out there

with a ems horror story feel free to speak up.
Old 02-09-2004, 06:59 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by aka010010 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yes it can make power. but his set up is a bult motor... and i just belive that with some much invested in to a motor, it should have a full standalone. seems much better and with the options, like u mentions, he/she can do the tuning. Cauz who knows better and more abour there own car then the owner themself.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't listen to this clown!!! he's probably not even boosted, i would base my decision on whether or not i am going to tune it myself. If you are goingn to tune it yourself then i would get aem for the simple fact that its a little cheaper to get setup IMO. However i am running Hondata because i feel its proven over time, i mean all fuel man. systems have there problems. Aem doesnt have as many problems as before, but i still would'nt trust it. My suggestion is to search and make a decision that your comfortable with, also talk to your tuner.

Landon
Old 02-10-2004, 06:20 AM

AS far as tuning the closest Dyno in around 3 hours away. Tuner is about 4-5 Hours .. YES it Will be Dyno Tuned but I also need something that IF I need to change it around a tad bit to compensate for changes its not a PIA.
Old 02-10-2004, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (IntegraXSi)

What is your tuner familiar with?

Are you obd1 or obd2?

Remember Hondata needs an obd1 ecu, if you have obd2 you need a cable and an ECU.

Hondata is proven, and will work for what you want.

AEM EMS, come with data logging and a boost controller standard. Also with a UEGO wideband can be tuned on the fly. In addition to a bunch of other features.

IMO I would see what your tuner prefer's. Then I'd compare options and costs to get the system up and running for your car.

My thoughts for my car:

00Si for Hondata need OBD2-1 cable somewhere between $75-100, OBD1 ECU chipped for Hondata Approx $200, Plus the Hondata w/ Boost = $425. No tuning you have a cost of roughly $700, add in a quality boost controller (if you want one) for $300 and your up to $1000. This is with no data logger, or many of the features the EMS has. A EMS can be found under $1,200 new, and has all the features in one unit. To myself it's worth the $200 for all the extra features, especially the data logging.

I am in no means discrediting Hondata, I think it's a great system, and even better system for OBD1 cars, especially for an engine management system thats not a hack. In addition Hondata can be tuned and left alone (same as AEM) and a MBC can be had cheap.

In other words, it depends on your tuner, budget, and what features you want.

Old 02-10-2004, 09:59 AM

Well This is going in a 91 CRX so its going to have to have a jumper.. I'm leaning towards AEM
Old 02-10-2004, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (IntegraXSi)

where are you taking it to have it tuned..... if you are relying on a shop then you should use what they are most familar with. if you brought it to us i would recomend the aem ems, but if the tuner you're using isnt familar with it then they wont be able to tune it as well as they could with a system that they are familar with.