Notices

Need help determining what wire is the 0-5v reference wire from wb02 sensor.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help determining what wire is the 0-5v reference wire from wb02 sensor.

Hi, im using a Lm1 wb02 kit, which uses a bosch sensor.

From the sensor to the display i need to tap into one of the 5 wires for a reference signal to my AEM EMS. Im looking for the 0-5V signal that gives me my 10:1 - 20:1 AFR.

Wires from the sensor.

Red >>>> Pump+
Black >>>> Sens+
White >>>> Heater-
Yellow >>>> Pump-/Sens-
Grey >>>> Heater +

This is for a Bosch LSU4.2 Sensor.

If anyone could tell me which of the 5 listed above is the 0-5V reference signal that would be great... Or if they atleast have an 'idea'.

I will check with a multimeter, but i want to be sure pretty much of what kind of readings im going to get before i do them.

Im guessing the signal wire is the Black the sensor+, i wish i knew what the heck the 'pump' wire is used for. The heater im guessing is 12V, and sensor is reference since on narrowband its the 0-1v signal

Thanks!!

Thanks!!
Old 05-22-2008, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need help determining what wire is the 0-5v reference wire from wb02 sensor. (HamiltonRex)

Black makes the most sense, but red could work too.

You can do one of two things. Turn accessory on after powering up the wideband and once the O2 sensor warms up the wire that reads ~5V is your source.

Or you can turn the car on, and if you're running 15ish AFRs at idle you'll get around 2.5V or so at the correct wire.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need help determining what wire is the 0-5v reference wire from wb02 sensor. (SovXietday)

Thanks, im just worried what the scale is going to be.. Like if its 10-20 or 10-25:1 AFR etc.. For the 0-5V.

Im guessing all wb02 sensors are basically the same as far as output voltage vs AFR, just a linear output, then the display interprets them and displays.

Im just getting a little worried, but ill poke away and see if i can get the afr to bounce around well watching the meter and if the numbers go where i think they should it should make sense.

I believe before i was getting ~2.3V on the black wire at idle which was right around 14.5:1 so that makes it seem correct. Im just not 100% sure.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need help determining what wire is the 0-5v reference wire from wb02 sensor. (HamiltonRex)

LM1 as far as I know has always been 10-20 with 0V being 10 and 5V being 20.

And yeah, very simple in how they work. Read and distribute a voltage to which your wideband gauge (and now AEM EMS) converts into a unit that you previously calibrated just like MAP, IAT, ECT, etc etc etc.

Old 05-22-2008, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need help determining what wire is the 0-5v reference wire from wb02 sensor. (SovXietday)

Ok thanks, I did some reading on the LM1 website, and i can get a output signal from my display unit, but my 'basic kit' didn't come with the output cable, or the other cable to connect the unit to the computer, i just kinda got a startup kit.

Or else i could program one of the outputs, says i can do anything from 0-5v and 10-20, so that must be where the display unit is getting its input, afterall has to be getting it from somewhere, i just need to tap into that and ill be set for tuning saturday.. I hope
Old 05-23-2008, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Can anyone help me out here? Let me know if this is even possible.. ?

I would connect it to the ems via an output from the display but i only got the 'basic startup kit' which didn't include a serial cable OR the output cable.

Old 05-23-2008, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can't connect to any of those wires for a 5v signal. Your wideband controller has to have a dedicated 5v output to do what you're trying to do.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need help determining what wire is the 0-5v reference wire from wb02 sensor. (tony1)

Alright, so basically im screwed and need the proper hardware and then i have to configure an analog output from the display to 0-5v for 10-20:1 AFR then make sure that my EMS knows the scale before i can connect it..

Alright, Thanks! Atleast i have that figured out now..
Old 05-23-2008, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Seriously, RTFM! They have the instruction on the website, in addition to the short booklet they send with the unit. They ship from the factory to output on the analog output #2: 1v=10 afr, 2v=20 afr. They can be adjusted through the serial hook up that should have been included. What you need is the analog output connector, or make your own (radioshack sells those stereo jacks, test with volt meter). They say the default is 1-2v so you only need a volt meter to simulate 10-20 afr (divided by 10).

Honestly, you make it sound like you bought a stolen kit with just the sensor and controller.
Old 05-23-2008, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need help determining what wire is the 0-5v reference wire from wb02 sensor. (HiProfile)

I know, its just ive had the damn thing for 4 years i can't remember where any of the parts are, if i HAD that stuff, i could get it going no problem!

I just ordered the AEM one i should have it next week, and i will have to re-schedule the tuning for NEXT weekend

Anyways, i will be glad to get rid of that big *** display and run a normal 2 1/16" gauge.

I did read the instructions.. But i don't have the cables, or else i would change the scale for 0-5v.

I mean 'Technically' I could have used the default analog output #2, and got the piece from radioshack and changed it in my EMS to the scale of 1-2V, but whatever.. Its not a big deal.

I just got the car insured today so i will drive it for a bit.. The AFR's are good, and i will stay out of boost, just want to make sure everything else mechanical is up to par atleast, which im sure it is. Driving a DSM is so much different

Thanks for the reply anyways.