Notices

EM1 turbo install: specific questions during install (oil feed/ecu related)......

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 06:26 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EM1 turbo install: specific questions during install (oil feed/ecu related)......

i am currently in the middle of an install on an EM1 B16 (2000 si). my question about the oil feed line is this: where the heck does it go? i notice what appears to be an oil temp or pressure sender located just above the filter, in the filter housing, and it appears to be a larger port that what is called for by the "T" fitting i have. is there another port to tap into for the pressurized oil source? (pic below of said fitting for reference.....)

also, i have an OBD2 to OBD1 harness, and am using an OBD1 ECU (which apparently is not uncommon on these cars, but i am not used to honda's at all, so bear with my ignorance with them). it is my understanding that this ECU has no base map on it for the 750cc injectors this guy wants to run, and i am hoping to help that. so, my question is: can i upload maps from my laptop via the OBD2 port like i can on other cars? and if so, where would i find said basemaps (for 750cc injectors, and forced induction).

please keep in mind that i have this "noob" status on here, so i cannot reply to posts after 5 per day, so if i ignore a response that is why. i will thank you in advance for any help you may have.

let me hear your thoughts, and let me know what other information i can give you to aid my situation.

here is a pic of the oil feed line "T" that i mentioned above. thanks again in advance for your help.....

EDIT: founda a pic of the filter and the sensor i was talking about. this is not my pic, so i hope to not offend the owner of it, but it illustrates the port i was talking about (to the left of the filter)

any thoughts?

Modified by MikeMcNair at 7:38 AM 4/13/2008
Old 04-13-2008, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yup, that is where you need to tap the oil feed line. Remove the oil pressure sensor and tap the T fitting to that. However, looking at the picture you posted, you need a male end to make this work. Once you get that on, use the existing port from the T to reinstall the oil pressure sensor.

In regards to ECU. You cant just download a base map. You must have a tunable ECU or an ECU modified to compensate with a tunable chip. However, not an average Honda enthusiast can even do that.... gotta have a series of software and hardware to do that. Your best bet is to have a tuner look at your OBD1 ECU to see if it is already "chipped". If it is, then you are a step closer to getting a base map....

Have fun with the project and goodluck!
Old 04-13-2008, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: EM1 turbo install: specific questions during install (oil feed/ecu related)...... (MikeMcNair)

I have used that port for an oil feed, although I use an oil filter sandwich adapter now. Make sure that you get the correct BSPT fitting for it, as it's not an NPT fitting. Tuner Toys sells an adapter for $20 that I have used before:

http://tunertoys.zoovy.com/pro....html

You can't upload through the OBD2 port on an EM1. The ECU needs to be chipped for an EPROM and the chip needs to be programmed. Read this for more information:

http://www.phearable.net/tech/....html

Old 04-13-2008, 06:55 AM
Trial User

Default Re: (thermal)

thanks for the fast reply!! i do indeed have the appropriate fitting, the pic was just an example. so i am in good shape there!!! awesome!!

now, i am hoping mikeycivic will chime in here, as my daily allotment of posts is dwindling, and this is his ecu i am asking about. i am under the impression that this is a "tunable" ECU, and i am totally capable of altering the appropriate maps if i have the software and a base map. base maps SUCK to make

thanks again.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (MikeMcNair)

Typically you tune an OBD1 ECU by programming an EPROM for it. There are exceptions like the Hondata S300 modified ECU's, which program through a USB port. The tuner generally has an ECU emulator that he plugs into the EPROM plug on the ECU and uses to make the maps, then transfers the program that he's made onto an EPROM and plugs it in to the ECU to run the car.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:05 AM

Default Re: (thermal)

thats my engine. it was wierd scrolling down somebody elses thread and seeing my engine, lol.

edit: someone answered the question before i finished posting

Modified by dbiker207 at 8:47 AM 4/13/2008
Old 05-23-2008, 03:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (dbiker207)

Now that I'm finishing mine too, does it make a difference where the pressure sensor is mounted either on the top of the adaptor or at the end of it as pictured below?

Old 05-23-2008, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (yakuza)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by yakuza &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Now that I'm finishing mine too, does it make a difference where the pressure sensor is mounted either on the top of the adaptor or at the end of it as pictured below?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not at all for operation, more so so you don't jack up the connector.