Notices

need help...which b series?

Old 09-28-2004, 04:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help...which b series?

Hi. Im new to these forums but ive been browsing for a while. I recently purchased a 1995 Special Edition, 5spd.

My first major mod is going to be a new engine. if i got a b18c-r with ctr intake cams, it would only be about $400 more than a b18c with ctr intake and exhaust cams.

I know the gsr is would hold more boost, but i can probably part out some of the itr stuff like the tranny (will be using ls tranny either way), pistons, headers, etc. and make some money.

My question is, is it worth it to buy the b18c-r and boost it less? or just go ahead with the gsr? on another note, im leaning more towards gsr because its obd1 and im pretty sure my car runs on that too. thanks for the help.
Old 09-28-2004, 05:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need help...which b series? (kasso)

Personally, I'd just take my car to the crusher, and give up. Okay, okay, joking aside...

If you're approaching this whole situation not knowing the first thing about turbo Hondas, bro, nobody is going to want to type up the hundred page primer you'd need to read to understand basic part/engine selections. If you can't find a friend who's more than happy to aid you through your setup and hold your hand, you're going to have to read a bunch of forums for a couple weeks and see what setups do what and decide what you want - otherwise questions like what you just posted will probably get ignored.

Old 09-28-2004, 07:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: need help...which b series? (J. Davis)

There is a sticky in the eg forum that details the differences between swaps. Don't go with a LS tranny. I'd go type r any day. sweet setup for an n/a car. read up for another few weeks before you plunk down any cash.
Old 09-28-2004, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need help...which b series?

i know the basics of turbo. i know that if i wanted anything more then say 7 psi, i'd have to swap internals on the gsr and swap on the type r at even lower boost. just wanted some opinions. ill probably just go wit the b18c because of the ease of installation.
Old 09-28-2004, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Huh?

What does "7 psi" have to do with anything?

I've run "11 psi" non intercooled on LS's, and "14 psi" on SOHC VTEC, both things that "won't work" or "you need internals" for.

More power means more compression load... seeing as how tensile load on a Honda rod is fourteen thousand times greater, you're not going to max a stock rod out with irrelevant "psi" or even highly relevant "power level" or "combustion pressures". What kills rods is detonation, much like an impact gun that pops stuck bolts free with 500 ft/lbs of torque in sharp impacts after you've tried with no luck to get said bolt off using 1200 ft/lbs of steady force via breaker bar and pipe extension.

When talking about streetcars, internals are for people who can't tune, who want to build very expensive engines that they can detonate on and needlessly abuse to band-aid the fact they don't know, don't care, and have more money than sense.

Oh, yeah, since I'm all crippled up with a broken foot and angsty tonight... another myth I like to debunk: VTEC is just a good idle. When all you care about is power and going fast... who cares? "Powered by a Good Idle" "DOHC Good Idle" pfft.
Old 09-29-2004, 06:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

People run 11psi + on stock GSR blocks. Get a SOHC, boost the crap out of it, learn from it and then do it over again with a B OR find a knowledgeable friend.
Old 09-29-2004, 07:09 AM

ya dude it has nothing to do with psi. its the amount of whp put out. iv seen 350whp on stock internals. the key is good tuning. as long as the fuel/air and timing and egt is good then theres a good chance all will go smoothly. if u get a shitty fmu and run 350whp ur **** will get fucked. if u can get a type r for $400 morethan the gsr you should do that because it has lsd. u should research ems and specific setups people are running relative to their powerbands and your needs.
Old 09-29-2004, 07:21 AM

save urself the money right now and just get the GSR, then stick around here and learn and by the time you are ready to buy parts you will have some knowledge...
Old 09-29-2004, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

they both have LSD and the b18c-r is only $400 more.

BTW, i have honda gearheads all around me. the team i hang out with has only 3 non-hondas. they know all about tuning. Honda-tech is just another source for me.

I, on the other hand, dont know too much about tuning so thats y i want to get as much opinions as i can.
Old 09-29-2004, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol, if i had the money for a b18c5, i would run N/A, but its your money and your decision. would be fun to stomp on people with a beautiful N/A engine.
Old 09-29-2004, 10:42 AM

Default Re: need help...which b series? (eMpAtHy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eMpAtHy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lol, if i had the money for a b18c5, i would run N/A, but its your money and your decision. would be fun to stomp on people with a beautiful N/A engine.</TD></TR></TABLE>

your in the wrong forum buddy. I'm just curious how much are you able to get this gsr and typer engine for?
Old 09-30-2004, 02:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

gsr = $3400
CTR intake cam = $275
CTR exhaust cam = $275

Type R = $4000
CTR intake cam = $275

both of these motors come with everything you need, including, ecu, tranny, axles, distributor, starter, etc. from Password JDM.

i'll just go with the gsr becaus that way i can have some fun for now and build up the old LS in my car.