Notices

NEED HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP

Hi all, need some help, just got my dc-2 back from the rebuild. There is a leak between the head & block. Im using a cometic gasket, do these prone to leak? I was thinking about putting on a OEM gasket instead as ive heard that this has happened before?

The block & head were both skimmed when the rebuild was done :-(

Any help would be much appreciated.

cheers
Old 06-01-2007, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NEED HELP (YumYumTurbo)

by skimmed do you mean "decked"?

As for the leak i would make sure that it isnt coming from your valve cover or oil wasnt there in he first place when you put the head on. Sometimes when you are assembling a motor there is random oil that will find its way down near the block and the head appearing as a leak but really just access oil.

Wipe up the oil every where on the head and area of the leak with mineral spirts or paint thinner and go from there, if you think about it and remember if the head gasket was in good condition and wasnt installed backwards there is no reason that the head gasket would be leaking, expecially if the motor hasnt even been started.

As for the future just stick with stock headgaskets unless you are going with something over 82mm
Old 06-01-2007, 02:07 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: NEED HELP (urbansi)

Are we sure it's an oil leak? He didn't say in his original post.
Old 06-01-2007, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NEED HELP (Archidictus)

Guess i just assumed considering that there shouldnt be any coolant in a freshly rebuilt motor, what else assembly lube? ATV?

Then again i dont even no if the car has been started or what not, so more info is needed. But from my expierence its usually access oil causng the worry
Old 06-02-2007, 09:54 AM

cheers for the replys so far. the engine is up & running now. the oil leak is coming from between the block & head this is why i think its the head gasket. The head gasket used was a cometic one. I have now purchased a OEM gasket from honda & going to try that to see if it's still leaking if it is then im assuming the head or clock is warped :-(
Old 06-02-2007, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (YumYumTurbo)

But what i am getting at is if its actually a leak, or just remnant oil from the build. wipe it all down and go from there...
Old 06-03-2007, 09:28 AM

Default Re: (urbansi)

i've already done that mate. Oil keeps coming back from between the block & head.

I've got new gasket so going to try changing that & see if it's still leaking, hopefully that will sort it out if not then going to look further into seeing if the block or head is warped which shouldnt be as both should have been skimmed when rebuild was done.
Old 06-03-2007, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

make sure its not coming for cam seal or valve cover...happened to me once. i replaced the head gasket 3 times cuz the oil kept building up at the head gasket...but i couldnt see the new oil coming out from above it cuz it was so clear, i could only see it bulking up where the head and block meet....i felt like a jackass.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:26 PM

cool cool, i've already done the cam seals to see if it was that but nope, still leaking :-(

head gasket's gettin done on later this week, i'll keep you's updated.

thanks for replys so far
Old 06-04-2007, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is the block sleeved? Did you check the sleeve height vs deck height? How is the crush on the headgasket? Is it even all around or crushed more on one side or unevenly?
Old 06-10-2007, 10:47 AM

Yeah the blocks sleeved. sleeve & deck height seems to be fine too:-(

Well thats the new head gasket on & its still leaking. im assuming its going to be the head needing skimmed. I would of thought the engineers would have done this, bviously not, im absolutely pissed off to the max now!!!!!!!!