Notices

Need the Cold hard truth... =\

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need the Cold hard truth... =\

ok guys. I know I posted about it before, but I just need the honest truth. Would it be worth it to drop about 4 grand to buy a JRSC for my 98 lude and run it on all the stock parts that come with the JRSC kit? No upgraded ECU/FMU (yet...) no changed injectors to 400cc or 440cc. Just the stuff that comes in the package. I know that a lot of people knock the stock parts from the JRSC kit, but is it reliable at all? I mean damn, dont you think JR would have realized that none of there MAP changes work if everyone who has one is complaning about it? Anyway, this would be my set-up. JRSC kit with all the stock parts it comes with, colder spark plugs, colder theromostat, Hondata Intake manifold gasket, Boost and Air/Fuel Ratio Gauges. What ya think, be honest.
Old 07-22-2003, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need the Cold hard truth... =\ (5thgenlude101)

from my experience, h22a's are weak, i would build the motor before you choose forced induction.
Old 07-22-2003, 11:44 AM

I assume that you are getting the Boost Timing Control, and MAP Controller as part of the "kit". If so they will work fine at 6 psi. You could get a little more power with hondata or some other sort of "tunable" FMU, but your car will run fine (and safely) with just the jrsc components.

Your stock injectors will also work fine at low boost. You may need a fuel pump upgrade. Is the high pressure fuel pump included it the "kit"? With stock injectors you will run higher fuel pressure. This means more stress on your pump and strain on the fuel lines. However this should not be a problem for a daily driver since the car will not be pushed to the limit for extended periods of time.

Since you aren't going to be tuning th A/F ratio you don't really need the guages. Also, I don't see any real need for the hondata gasket.

I will warn you that almost everyone that gets a jrsc at 6 psi wants to increase the boost. It is like an addictive drug. The jrsc BTC and MAP Controller work fine at 6psi, but you will want larger injectors and some other form of fuel management if you ever increase boost. You save a lot of money if you get the proper fuel management from the very beginning.

BTW even though the jrsc is a "bolt on" that doesn't mean it is simple to install. It is VERY important to get it installed by someone who has done it before.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 07-22-2003, 12:57 PM

Default Re: Need the Cold hard truth... =\ (Mase)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mase &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">from my experience, h22a's are weak, i would build the motor before you choose forced induction. </TD></TR></TABLE>

h22a are not weak. Inline Pro = bone stock block, low compression (head gasket) 10.44 daily driver years ago. that motor is a strong bastard
Old 07-22-2003, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need the Cold hard truth... =\ (1320in11)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1320in11 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

h22a are not weak. Inline Pro = bone stock block, low compression (head gasket) 10.44 daily driver years ago. that motor is a strong bastard</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hrm... the civic hatch from inline pro that runs a 10.4 has a stock block b18 in it, not a stock block h22... maybe we're thinking of different cars?

List everything that comes in this "kit" and more poeple will be able to post a definate response as most people here aren't aware of what comes with a jsrc kit

-ryan

edit: don't know how to spell my name

Modified by tegasaurus at 3:46 PM 7/22/2003
Old 07-22-2003, 10:00 PM

Default Re: Need the Cold hard truth... =\ (tegasaurus)

Hey, sorry abou that guys, forgot to tell you what comes with the kit. Attached is a link to the jacksonracing site which has a Acrobat Reader document of all the parts included. so far as i can see, the kit comes with a new pump, the MAP controller and Boost timer, a whole crap load of hardware (every single nut and bolt is listed on this file hehe) and all the other stuff to run the kit. the only things I am going to get extra are the colder thermostat, the colder spark plugs, possibly the hondata intake gasket to help with temps also. Tell me what you think. BTW, here's the link...

http://www.jacksonracing.com/p...e.pdf
Old 07-22-2003, 11:08 PM

forget about the JRSC......if ur spending $4000 mine as well make some decent power.... http://www.full-race.com
Old 07-22-2003, 11:13 PM

Default Re: Need the Cold hard truth... =\ (BrokenVtec)

I dont see anything on that site for the H22A besides the pro-race manifold... all the turbo's are for B series Engines?
Old 07-23-2003, 04:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Turbos can go on any car with the correct manifold. Exactly as stated, if youre going to spend $4k, get the FR Kit. Youll blow the **** out of the JRSC, while still being semi-reliable. And guess what? You wont have to upgrade much in the way of FI items...you already have the best there is.
Old 07-23-2003, 04:13 AM

Default Re: Need the Cold hard truth... =\ (Tinker219)

mmmmmmmm.....full race.....
Old 07-23-2003, 04:40 AM

Default Re: Need the Cold hard truth... =\ (tegasaurus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tegasaurus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Hrm... the civic hatch from inline pro that runs a 10.4 has a stock block b18 in it, not a stock block h22... maybe we're thinking of different cars?

List everything that comes in this "kit" and more poeple will be able to post a definate response as most people here aren't aware of what comes with a jsrc kit

-ryan

edit: don't know how to spell my name

Modified by tegasaurus at 3:46 PM 7/22/2003</TD></TR></TABLE>

different cars not stans, this was pat millers car from years ago.
Old 07-23-2003, 12:20 PM

Default Re: Need the Cold hard truth... =\ (1320in11)

still being semi-relaible. your saying I wont have to do any internal building to run the FR turbo kit with the Prelude manifold on my lude. BTw, just to let ya know (i think i put it earlier tho, stupid me) I have the SS tranny, not a 5 speed. so i'm guessing my car is going to die in a max of maybe 2 years =\ what all does the FR turbo kit come with? like does it have all of the fuel management/turbo timer and such? might change my mind after ;p
Old 07-23-2003, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go turbo. you wont regret it.
Old 07-23-2003, 04:27 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 5thgenlude101 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">still being semi-relaible. your saying I wont have to do any internal building to run the FR turbo kit with the Prelude manifold on my lude. BTw, just to let ya know (i think i put it earlier tho, stupid me) I have the SS tranny, not a 5 speed. so i'm guessing my car is going to die in a max of maybe 2 years =\ what all does the FR turbo kit come with? like does it have all of the fuel management/turbo timer and such? might change my mind after ;p</TD></TR></TABLE>

the kit comes with Manifold, downpipe, blow off valve, intercooler, piping, wastegate, oil line kit, and turbo
Old 07-23-2003, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need the Cold hard truth... =\ (BrokenVtec)

dude, save yourself the trbl right now! pull the motor , get it sleeved and built back up. believe me, youll be very pleased. i gurantee that h22 wont last long fi stock. and i know someone will try to prove me wrong as far as reliability w. their cuzns uncles brothers sons h22, but do u honestly feel like taking that gamble?
Old 07-23-2003, 04:54 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 5thgenlude101 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I mean damn, dont you think JR would have realized that none of there MAP changes work if everyone who has one is complaning about it?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Many (more than half) JRSC ludes running the stock kit run dangerously lean (13.5:1 or HIGHER) in the mid range. I've seen dyno after dyno to give evidence to this. Then, there have been select few that have run pig rich with no problems. It's your call. If you live in an area where you can get higher octane fuel than 91, that would be in your benefit. If you are in CA, where you can only get 91 in most places, that would just be more risk to consider.

Personally, I would NEVER allow the JR fuel and engine management near my Prelude.
Old 07-23-2003, 04:59 PM

Default Re: Need the Cold hard truth... =\ (sharkcohen)

I'd save up another $1000-1500 or so and run one of our kits. Check my sig And our "kits" come with everything you'd want anyways, like big injectors, Hondata, etc.......
Brian
Old 07-23-2003, 05:03 PM

Default Re: Need the Cold hard truth... =\ (Firedrake)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Firedrake &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'd save up another $1000-1500 or so and run one of our kits. Check my sig And our "kits" come with everything you'd want anyways, like big injectors, Hondata, etc.......
Brian</TD></TR></TABLE>
That's the best way to do it: large injectors and Hondata with the new lude JRSC basemap, and then run 9 psi.
Old 07-23-2003, 05:18 PM

i thought stock block preludes were beefy?

Old 07-23-2003, 08:46 PM

only one problem. Hondata wont work on Auto tranny cars. I was thinking about going for a different ECu instead. anyone have any good ideas of what to run on the JRSC with the auto tranny? someone gave me one suggestion but I forgot what its called. its a fuel managment system that works for the auto tranny ludes also. yea, i really do want to run bigger injectors with a diff system, but I need to know what system to go for. If anyone could give me some good info such as what kind of injectors, what ECU/FMU to use, that would be good. I will probably go with that. and also, dont you need different internals to run the JRSC with 9 lbs of boost? I would like too, but I dunno if I could on a stock engine with 55k miles on it. lemme know what you think. Thanks! =] -Matt

Also, if I went turbo, whats a good kit to use with stock internals? F-max claims that I can run their system at 8 psi on stock internals problem free. And I do live in california, but I was planning on using Octane boost most of the time with premium gas (91) also. Lemme know, thanks!
Old 07-23-2003, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 5thgenlude101 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">only one problem. Hondata wont work on Auto tranny cars.</TD></TR></TABLE>

that should be the first thing on your list to change then.

do a manual conversion. an auto tranny won't hold any power. honda automatics suck goat nuts. feed them more power, and watch them break.
Old 07-24-2003, 01:54 AM

Default Re: Need the Cold hard truth... =\ (pissedoffsol)

I've heard that the JRSC will work ok on the Auto/Sportshift transmission as long as you keep the fluid changed and dont abuse the hell out of it (which i'm not gonna do... I'm just looking to make my acceleration better, not full out drag.)
Old 07-24-2003, 02:54 AM

BTW, can someone please suggest a fuel/Air Managment system that would work good with the JRSC and prolly 440cc injectors? Instead of running the stock stuff, I'll prolly just upgrade to that when its installed instead of running the JRSC stuff. Also, how often does the stock JRSC map controllers and such run so bad? 13.5:1? thats like the worst ratio ever lol. would upgrading to say a EFI PMS system or the AEM stand alone managment system help to fix the ratio? also prolly stock fuel pump with the larger injectors with it. Thanks!
Old 07-24-2003, 05:55 AM

I'm not going to repeat myself: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=566385
Old 07-24-2003, 07:05 AM

Man, if you want the cold hard truth, here it is:

- The Sport Shift tranny is garbage. People with those trannies are lucky if they hold up on normal driving on a stock car. Don't expect to be able to put any amount of power through them.

- Dropping $4000 on all the JR stuff is NOT going to make your car much faster. You'll turn around once everything is said and done and having spent close to $6000 (for install, parts, extra parts, etc) your car will still go high 14's at sea level. Adding $1200 for an AEM standalone and $500 for tuning will get you better gas mileage, more reliability, and a little more power, so now the car runs mid-high 14's and you've spend $7700......

If you really want a faster car, sell yours, buy a 5speed base, change over all your mods, and turbo it the right way. Nobody in their right mind is going to tell you to keep your auto prelude and put a JR kit on it........
Just my brutally honest .02
Brian

Quick Reply: Need the Cold hard truth... =\