Notices

Need Answers Please!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Answers Please!!

OK, I have a 95 civic with a b16 fully built with t3/t4 turbo. I have the waste gate vacuum line going into the port on the turbo, i have the bov valve vacuum going to a T at the FPR valve. I have my greddy boost controller and boost gauge tied into the vacuum line at the throttle body. Now my car will hold boost just fine, tunned with EC tune at 8 psi on E85 but when i shift my BOV is making a fluttering noise, not a distinct PSHH.. My car from day one never made one noise out of the blow off, it's a constant rush of air. The guy who tuned my car said at 15 psi i was leaking air somewhere. I can't figure out why my BOV is making this noise, sounds cool but not what it's suppose to be doing. Thanks for any tips!
Old 04-09-2010, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need Answers Please!!

fully built only runnin 8psi?
Old 04-09-2010, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you have gremlins sir
Old 04-09-2010, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am staying at 8 because i gotta figure out my BOV problem. It's a b16, eagle rods, je pistons, block gaurd, type r cams, rockers, ported and poslished, b16 tranny with slip. 880 precision injectors...

Last edited by smittyscivic; 04-09-2010 at 05:20 PM.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

its called compressor surge.

get a better boost signal to the bov or check the diaphram inside it. and don't have a bad attitude or people wont want to help you.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

people wont help you anyway.
once you figure it out on your own please post the results so that people can use the information you obtained to learn about their own build
Old 04-09-2010, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by K7-1Ktrevor
its called compressor surge.

get a better boost signal to the bov or check the diaphram inside it.
My car does the same, does it damage the turbo?

Any good threads you recommend? tried searching but couldnt find threads.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I heard it is not good. It is putting alot of stress on the turbo. I will keep working on this and let you know..
Old 04-09-2010, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

ya its hard on the turbo. turbo is spinning 15k rpms or so, and that sound is boost reversing the spin of it to spin it the other direction. it wont usually damage the turbo immediately but it is very hard on it.

look into making a better vac source for it, the best way is to dril and tap another hole with a pipe in your intake manifold and run it directly to it with a good size line. just make sure you pull the i.m. off and clean all shavings out and jb weld it to seal it. or you can buy a vac block.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What bov do you have? Do you have any under hood pictures? I $5 says you have the vac/boost line running to the bottom of the bov port. The line should run to the top of the bov.
Old 04-10-2010, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by smittyscivic
I heard it is not good. It is putting alot of stress on the turbo. I will keep working on this and let you know..
please do, i just bought a new turbo and dont want any crap happening to it

what BOV you running on? Im using TURBOXS BOV.. got it used so i thought it was from the bov, but looks like i got hoses wrong or..
Old 04-10-2010, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yah, i have the exact same. Chrome with the fitting on the top. Blows out the side.. I have one single hose T'd into the FPR line.. Should be enough. What i am going to do is try and make a T fitting out of the brake cylinder. I am going to run a bigger diameter hose to the BOV as well.. See if this works, if not I am going to say its the XS BOV!
Old 04-11-2010, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/tial-bov-compressor-surge-2552391/

found this, now im completely lost.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yah, Im not sure. Tomorrow when i get off work, i am going to run a new line from the Brake cylinder and if that does not fix it, i am going to try and cut the sping like they said. I'll post it and let you know.
Old 04-12-2010, 04:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

alright ill be waiting, goodluck
Old 04-12-2010, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So today I took out of the equation the boost controller and boost gauge. I had one line going from the manifold to the FPR with no breaks in the line. I ran a new hose from the BOV to the throttle body. I also took 2-3 rings out of the BOV and still the same. I talked to a friend and he said it could be leaking air from a coupler and that is or could be why the BOV is messing up because of a pin hole leak.. Is this possible?? I do not know.. I ran out of time working on it, so my plan is tomorrow go to the advanced and buy 4 new couplers, put them on with the same t clamps that I have and go from there.. I also bought a T and thicker hose incase i decide to T into the brake cyliner. I'm not sure if I rather do that or try to buy a new BOV and see what happens with that one. If it does the same, then Im stumped and will tap into that.. Confusing I know, but hopefully we can figure this out..
Old 04-12-2010, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you have any pics of how its setup? Show me some underhood shots
Old 04-12-2010, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ah damn, alright try to post some pics now of the setup
Old 04-12-2010, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My bov stopped working because of a vacuum leak off of the IM.. When youregetting on it and making boost, that extra pressure is goin into th motor.. When you let off the gas and the TB closes, the motor is no longer receiving that extra pressure and creates a vacuum on the engine side of the TB.. This vacuum is transferred through the vac line to the top half of the BOV, which is separated from the boost side by a diafragm.. This difference in pressure causes it to open and releive the extra pressure that your turbo is still creating.. You may hve already known this, but it helped me figure out where to look when I understood how it worked... Mine ended up being a rip in the rubber inside the brake booster so instead of the vacuum pulling open the BOV, it just pulled the vacuum through the rip.. Hope this helps a little, if not sorry to waste your time
Old 04-14-2010, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I can't figure out how to post pictures(Jpeg) But what i did was took off all the piping for my turbo, intercooler.. I am buying 3 new coupers and i also bought new vacuum lines. I am going to buy a new bov and get a flange for it too.. I think the air is leaking from the BOV adaper pipe, it's not the 2 bolt flange. You just screw three bolts to tighten it to the piping.. I do not like this set up. So attack666 I would bet that it's the BOV.. I am not 100% sure but i have been working on this problem for over a month and am starting over with brand new piping, couplers, clamps, and a BOV.. If this does not solve my problem then i am taking it to a garage and paying someone to look at it.. I did the complete engine build from start to bottom myself so i do know alot about honda's but this vacuum problem is beating me.. Sorry i couldn't help more, but i will get you posted!
Old 04-15-2010, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ah that sucks bro, hardluck!!

i currently took off my turbo kit to build my engine.. got lots of T's here and there i guess ill cancel those and take the hoses direct to the IM. if that didnt help then ill try to borrow a BOV from anyone and check before i go and buy another BOV and might still have the problem.

keep us updated !