Notices

Need Advice on Project Car

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2003, 10:03 PM
diearzte2

Default Need Advice on Project Car

Hey guys, I am new to the boards, but I have been reading for a couple weeks now. I will explain my situation. I live in MN, I am 17, so I am relatively new to the car scene, especially imports because they are just now getting big in the Twin Cities (as far as i know). Anyways, I recently bought a '99 Integra GS-R. I was completely content with it, well except for the suspension, or lack thereof. One day I was going to the local dragstrip (well, Wisconsin is the closest we have to local, so a two hour trip to get some timeslips) with a couple friends. We took an exit, not speeding, but at an unreasonable speed. My car kinda slid off the road and rolled down a hill.
A few weeks later, I got a final estimate on the damage; it was a little over 12k, so insurance totaled it out. I convinced my mom to let me buy it back, so I have a completely usable B18C1 in my garage.
A good friend of mine, who is not into cars, decided to buy a new car (a Passat or something like that) and has no need for his old one, a 97 Civic DX. I offered to buy it, so he is selling it to me at a reasonable price, so I have some money left over.
So now, I have two cars, and a couple of options. I decided I want a turbo car, so I have been trying to learn as much as possible about forced induction. I have come up with the following list of parts, and what I would like is some feedback from the guys here who know whats good/bad. Please dont flame me, 'cause I really dont need it, and I have read as far back as 8 pages of threads, but I want something about my specific situation.
I intend to drive the stock DX around while I have the integra stripped and some work done to the block. I was going to build the bottom end for boost. I found the Crower Stroker kit. It comes with a Crower Crank, Crower Rods, and JE Pistons. It bumps displacement up to 2.0 or so. Is it worth it? The price tag is 2200. Also, If I buy this, I have decided on 9:1 compression, but what do i need for rod length and the other various options? Also, what other work should I have done to the engine while it is at the machine shop? Anything to the head?

Anywho, here is the list of parts I want to buy:
Garret T3/T4 Tubo
Exhaust Manifold (Undecided on type)
Intercooler (have one locally)
Vortech 12:1 FMU
Crower Stroker Kit
Injectors (What size/Brand?)
AEM Fuel Rail and Fuel Pressure regulator
Downpipe (again, unsure of type)
Fluidyne Radiator (Is it worth it)
Hasport Motor Mount Kit
Apexi V-AFC
Apexi Boost Controller
Tial Wastegate
TurboXS BOV
Holley Fuel Pump
(While the engine is out)
Clutch (Probably Exedy)
Flywheel (What kind?)
Water Pump
Missing Link

I was also looking for advice on Ignition hardware, as I havent seen much information about the different types.

Both cars are OBD2. Does Hondata reprogram these, or should I locate a OBD1 Computer. (This is actually pretty easy, as another friend of mine had a confrontation with a deer in which he lost with his 95 GS-R, so if he lets me pull his computer....) Is the conversion worth it in terms of programming for the turbo?

Another area I am shady on is getting oil to the turbo. I know someone on these boards makes the adapter for it, but does the Greddy Oil Filter relocation kit have the same effect?

My god...this is getting to be a long post. I will just stop here. Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 08-05-2003, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Need Advice on Project Car (diearzte2)

don't stroke it. sleeve it. you can still hit close to 2.0L on an 84mm bore, and you will have cast sleeves that won't crack under excessive boost. look into bensons and rsmachine. contact earl/mike at laskeyracing.com for info on benson blocks. they are stupid pretty

leave the head alone. its the bottom end that goes wack

sleeved
proper fuel delivery/injectors
hondata/other standalone system
dyno tuned

fast, reliable car.
Old 08-06-2003, 03:24 PM
diearzte2

I already contacted Earl about the sleeves. I still should buy pistons and rods, right? Is the crank necessary, or should I leave that stock?

Does Hondata do OBDII computers? I dont think I can get the OBDI one.
Old 08-06-2003, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (diearzte2)

email me at thirteentwenty651@yahoo.com

I'm from MN and I can help you out with anything you need.

or come to http://www.miacracing.com it's a forum for local MN tech heads
Old 08-07-2003, 06:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (diearzte2)

you will need pistons with a larger bore regardless, and you should do rods while your down there anyway.

hondata does obd1, but you can simply run a p28 (obd1) with a conversion harness from Kenji, or several other members here to plug into your chassis.
hondata also sells obd1 computers with obd2 plugs. kills 2 stones in one shot, but its kinda pricey.