ndUrgent timing question, please help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2003, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ndUrgent timing question, please help.

Hi,

Sorry for a newbie question. I am from Europe and just got my JRSC standard kit on a GSR installed. I do not really understand the timing setting JR says to do. All people here say to retard the timing but my tuner says to advance timing which also sounds logical to me if I get more air and more fuel faster into the engine.
Also, I understood that 10 BTDC is 10 degree. Is it now retard or advance compared to stock timing? Last question, 10 degree is at 93 octane but we drive here 98 octane. What would you suggest? Please can you help at this urgent question. Thanks a lot.
Old 03-16-2003, 02:13 PM

Default Re: ndUrgent timing question, please help. (Aerodeck)

You should be retarding your timing when you go with forced induction (turbo or sc). Your tuner is wrong, your not getting air and fuel into your engine faster, it's just being forced in greater quantities. Since you are runing 98 octane i say leave your timing at 16 degrees (stock). I'm runing 14 degree's (2 degrees retarded) with 9psi of boost.
The only problem with retarding your timing using your distributor is that it retards everything (cam timing, ignition, when the injectors fire,etc..) all you really need to do is retard your ignition timing.
Try stock timing and if you hear pinging RETARD your timing until it goes away or get a BTM. You have a knock sensor that should pull timing if it needs too.
Old 03-16-2003, 10:01 PM

Default Re: ndUrgent timing question, please help. (b16ahybrid)

Thanks for your help.