Notices

National Speed S2000 Time Attack Build Progress

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 07:36 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default National Speed S2000 Time Attack Build Progress

My name is Ben Salasko, I am the Tuner at National Speed a new shop located in Wilmington, NC. I will be updating this thread with the build progress of my personal car; a MY00 S2000 that I am building for Time Attack. Hope you guys enjoy the pictures, if you want any specific pictures let me know I will be happy to take them... Please note I have done all the fabrication and body work on this car, I am not a body guy or professional fabricator if you stopped by our shop for some custom fab'd parts you could expect better... anyway ill try to leave all the boring stuff at the bottom

This intake manifold was designed and simulated using a cad program for peak power at 9500rpms with secondary tuning at 7300 and 5500. The plenum features raised velocity stacks for a lower delta p at the runner entrance and a large plenum for power over response. The throttle body is a modified Q45 (90mm)

The turbo is a GTK-650 with a .84 A/R tangential divided housing. The collector in the picture is from burns stainless the runners will be 2"

The exhaust is 3" off the turbo expanding to 4" where the wastegates enter the flow. The muffler is a Vibrant 4" in 4" out.

also in this picture an unfinished chassis brace.

The intercooler is a precision turbo, hands down the biggest core you can fit without some frame modification.

The battery was relocated directly behind the passenger seat and replaced with a odyssey. Twin walbros are powered directly off the battery through independent relays controlled by the motec to save wear on the pumps and to keep the fpr from being overun at idle.

Everything is controlled with a MoTeC M800, hands down the best investment of the project.

Brake ducts were added to the front bumper and welded to the back of the dust shield. They are made from fiberglass molded to the shape of the face factory duct

Still coming:

custom headers
d2 suspension
d2 brakes
apr wing
twin turbonetics evo wastegates
turbonetics godzilla bov
wheels, tires, etc

probably a ton of other stuff I'm forgetting
Old 05-06-2008, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: National Speed S2000 Time Attack Build Progress (Ben-NSI)

how much boooost?
very nice.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:56 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: National Speed S2000 Time Attack Build Progress

We'll see i plan on running a 100% factory block including head gasket and making around 500whp until i get my competition motor built. Once thats built i will be intentionally blowing up my factory block to see how much it can take...
Old 05-06-2008, 10:03 AM
Banned

Looks great will be looking for updates
Old 05-06-2008, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice project. Looks like no corners were cut on the setup.

That beast is going to be wicked fast.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

a man that takes **** into his own hands keep this updated and if you ever run at like vir or something i would love to come watch
Old 05-06-2008, 01:04 PM
i ♥ snails

yeah a very sick build with lots of quality. Quick question are s2000 pistons or rods forged from the factory? I have heard both yes and no. just wanted to clairify for my self.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:26 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (quicksilver1689)

Yes they are... and i will be at VIR in a month or so with the car (i hope) I'll be sure to let you know when im going.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like no corners were cut on the setup

??

did you notice the wastegates

??

hope they were in the pic just for scale
Old 05-06-2008, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (B18CXr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18CXr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Looks like no corners were cut on the setup

??

??

hope they were in the pic just for scale</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hahah. Turbonetics FTL.

Nice setup man. What software did you use for your intake design?
Old 05-06-2008, 07:53 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Solid works and fluent... wastegates were just sitting there...
Old 05-07-2008, 01:55 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: (Ben-NSI)

the stock diff will hate you...
TurboDave kept breaking stock diffs at 600whp, ended up putting an r200 in it
Old 05-07-2008, 04:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (wantboost)

I like everything, my only issues is the intake manifold with the velocity stacks sitting about the radius or a little further out than that, I think thats going to cause some issues with a lot of dead space behind the stacks. IMO I'd move them slightly closer to the ports (shorten the stacks a little bit), you'd still have a favorable delta p without having a lot of dead space, and allow more space for air to fill and be sucked into the ports.

Can't wait to see the numbers!

Nice choice on the TN GTK650
Old 05-07-2008, 05:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Blown90hatcH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Blown90hatcH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Hahah. Turbonetics FTL.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 05-07-2008, 05:23 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (chimmike)

There are a couple reasons for the stack being there... The stacks would not fit much lower without being cut on the sides or touching the plenum wall which would eliminate the advantage of using them. The additional 1" that is sticking up in the plenum was needed to bring my 2nd harmonic down to an attainable RPM. The idea behind the raised stacks is to have air available from every angle, if the bellmouths are mounted at or near the bottom of the manifold they can only pull from above the runner entrance, the bellmouths allow air to be pulled from every direciton without causing turbulance so you want dead space under the bellmouth as well. The idea of a plenum is to have "dead space"... maybe in an ideal world the plenum would be a slightly different shape and about a 1/4 - 1/2" higher on the runners but there is only so much available space and i think the difference would be minimal if there was one at all. Besides in a couple months ill have an even better reason for them being as high as they are
Old 05-07-2008, 05:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Any reason you didn't go with better dampers?
Old 05-07-2008, 06:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B18CXr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18CXr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Looks like no corners were cut on the setup

??

??

hope they were in the pic just for scale</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, I didn't notice those. Lol.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ben-NSI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There are a couple reasons for the stack being there... The stacks would not fit much lower without being cut on the sides or touching the plenum wall which would eliminate the advantage of using them. The additional 1" that is sticking up in the plenum was needed to bring my 2nd harmonic down to an attainable RPM. The idea behind the raised stacks is to have air available from every angle, if the bellmouths are mounted at or near the bottom of the manifold they can only pull from above the runner entrance, the bellmouths allow air to be pulled from every direciton without causing turbulance so you want dead space under the bellmouth as well. The idea of a plenum is to have "dead space"... maybe in an ideal world the plenum would be a slightly different shape and about a 1/4 - 1/2" higher on the runners but there is only so much available space and i think the difference would be minimal if there was one at all. Besides in a couple months ill have an even better reason for them being as high as they are </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks
Old 05-07-2008, 06:55 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (Dartanian)

Our shop started carrying D2's and i was totally against using them, they look cheap (crome plated hardware) and i doubted their quality because of the price but after riding in a car with them i thought they were pretty impressive. The first opportunity we had to install them on one of our cars that would see some significant track time we did, i took that car to VIR and was very impressed with the shocks but still not sure about them, VIR is a pretty smooth course and not an extreme test of dampers. About a month later i took the same car to Sebring.... for anyone thats been to Sebring it IS a test of your shocks, its by far the worse condition track surface i have ever been on and the shocks did great. When i first went out at Sebring they were way to stiff but after taking a few clicks out the car handled great. These are hands down the best shock i have used under 1500 dollars (and they are WAY under 1500).

Im not going to bullshit anyone and say they are the best shock out there. I would much rather have a shock with independent adjustment of high and low speed rebound and compression, but i wouldn't buy a shock that cost less than 4k to replace these. I probably will eventually replace them with a set of Ohlins or Motons but i can't think of any other shock i would replace these with. I am VERY impressed (actually shocked) by the quality of these shocks. I have heard some bad things about them but i recently noticed while working on a car with an older set of D2's that they have changed their design and internal workings, their older design had no "clicks" of adjustment they just had an arrow and some markings. There is now actually 32 "clicks" of adjustment and my assumption is they made some other improvements at the same time.

Long story short these shocks will not be my biggest hurdle in making this car a respectable track car in the short term. They were very cheap and work very well so i can put money in other areas of the suspension that i feel are more important. In a year or so you might see a more expensive set of shocks on the car. Keep in mind this is not an unlimited budget build, it looks baller but i am making everything myself... materials are "cheap" its just time consuming.

Modified by Ben-NSI at 10:24 AM 5/7/2008
Old 05-08-2008, 12:49 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I'm looking forward to seeing this car progress... It's already come a long way since the first time I saw it.

And whats with the grainy/pixilated pictures?
Old 05-08-2008, 02:44 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (Carolina Fried Rice)

whatever it was your camera
Old 05-08-2008, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

u gonna be going to the track in jacksonville nc?
Old 05-08-2008, 06:39 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (B18aCRiX)

I will eventually i want to get a couple road course weekends in before i go to the 1/4. My guess is my diff can't hold the launch and i wont bother going untill i have some drag rims & tires. I'm really rushing to finish this car up for VIR at the end of the month but theres a lot left to do. hopefully with in a month or so of that weekend i will have it fully setup for drag and road course events.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks like a beast.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ben-NSI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">custom headers</TD></TR></TABLE>

Do you plan to put more than one header on there?

About time someone built a decent FI time attack Honda. That's what they're made for afterall. Nice build .

Quick Reply: National Speed S2000 Time Attack Build Progress