Notices

Is my turbo blown????

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2002, 10:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my turbo blown????

I was ripping it at 6psi, and using the "select" button on my greddy profec B, switched to the high boost button (9psi)..after I selected, it went down to 4psi, my turbo will no longer go past 4psi, I turned the boost controller off...same ****. I checked the vaccum lines for leaks, everything looks ok. My car has been smoking somewhat out the exhaust, white smoke, more at idle than usual...compression was fine--Also, the BOV wont blow off right...so I thought that It would be the vaccums, but they look perfect. Any help appriciated..
could the damn turbo be blown.

thanks

[Modified by BoostedSi, 7:07 AM 6/12/2002]
Old 06-12-2002, 12:29 AM
New User

Default Re: Is my turbo blown???? (BoostedSi)

ANy suggestions?????????
Old 06-12-2002, 12:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is my turbo blown???? (IntegD)

How can i tell if its the turbo that is blown??? I dont see y my BOV wouldnt be blowing off rite if the turbo was blown, It sounds like it blows off like it does when the vacuum line isnt hooked up.

JUST got my car running rite after rebuilds...now ran into another problem today...HELP...Please, anyone.
Old 06-12-2002, 06:42 AM
New User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Is my turbo blown???? (BoostedSi)

if your turbo were "blown" and was leaking oil, you would have dark black/blue smoke, not white smoke. White smoke is a sign of coolant making its way into the combustion chamber and may involve either a leaky headgasket or worse yet, a cracked sleeve.

If you can't boost past 4psi, and your lines are all ok, I would pull the inlet off your turbo and check the shaft for excessive movement. Start your car and see that the shaft spins freely with oil moving through there.

If thats ok, shut the engine and check your plugs and compression. Check your oil and coolant and make sure they look ok.

If thats all ok, start your car, pull your radiator cap and look for bubbling coming up through to the top (may need to add coolant to top off the radiator to see it). if it bubbles, you may have a blown headgasket which would answer the white smoke problem.

If all is ok, run your wastegate without the controller (what is your stock wastegate pressure at?). See if you can boost to max pressure of your spring. If so, then your problem may be your boost controller solenoid or your wastegate not closing all the way allowing gas to escape and route past your turbo. I assume something else is the problem though with all the white smoke you describe!

thats a start.

[Modified by GruvyTune, 10:45 AM 6/12/2002]
Old 06-12-2002, 07:21 AM

Default Re: Is my turbo blown???? (GruvyTune)

is the lowest setting on your wg 4psi?
Old 06-12-2002, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is my turbo blown???? (GruvyTune)

sounds like a boost leak to me. Check all your IC piping and vacume hoses.
Old 06-12-2002, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is my turbo blown???? (TypeC)

yup, was a boost leak. The rubber piece that connects the intake piping and the intercooler piping had a slit in it.

I'm thinking the white smoke may be because i'm running to rich at idle? I"m running 440s with the afc hack, cant get the fuel pressure down with my b&m regulator with my walbro intank(45psi). plus i dont have a cat...just straight 3" of piping back from the downpipe.

Thanks again for all help...