Notices

My Setup....need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Setup....need some advice

Alright...i am in the middle of rebuilding my motor. I am trying to build a reliable motor with some good power. I was kind of forced into doing major motor work as my b16 block just blew. I want to use good/strong parts to try to ensure that this **** doesn't happen again. I am on a budget, so certain things are going to have to stay stock for now until i can get some more cash after i pay off all of this work. If something HAS to be changed obviosly i will change it...but for the things that i can get away with for now....they are staying the same....onto the setup:

93 civic h/b cx
(looking for 96-00 2dr coupe in future to put motor in)

99 b16 head:
Crower valve springs and retainers
Ferrea valves, valve seals, valve locks
gsr cams
cam gears

Stock intake manifold for now

98 GSR block:
Sleeved by Golden Eagle 84mm
Wiseco pistons 9:1
Eagle Rods

Aem cam gears
Aem Fuel rail
Inline pro turbo manifold (want to change down the line)
Greddy BOV
Spearco intercooler (kinda small but i am willing to take the power loss untill i can afford something bigger)
Tial Wastegate
p28 ecu
hondata s200
780cc precision injectors
Greddy catback
Walbro 255
ARP head studs
99-00 si transmission

Thats what i got so far
As for the turbo.... i am probably going to go with the gt3076
i dont really see myself passing 450-500hp...i have never driven/been in a car with that much power. And it just seems unreasonable for a daily driver.

I want about 300-400hp.

Things i am thinking about getting in the near future to have when build is ready
Turbo timer
Quaffe LSD
full race traction bar
gsr cams
...i kno there is more...can't remember

Question about the transmission....Is the Si tranny ok? Should i get the lsd for it?
I have been doing a lot of research on this...and i can't make up my mind. I dont know if i should try and get a GSR tranny and LSD it...or if i should just get the LSD for the Si tranny. This is probably my biggest question so far for my setup. And i can't seem to find a good answer.

i know there are other things that i was thinking of getting but i can't remember at the moment

What do you guys think of it? I know for the most part i am on the right track to having a solid car with good parts. Is there anything i am going to need? Anything i should get to help ensure reliability? Again certain things i know could be better (intercooler...stock intake manifold...etc) but these things can wait...as far as i know..but is there anything i am missing that should be a necessity? sorry for so many questions but i am trying to make sure everything is right...and i know you guys are the experts...
Any and all help will be much appreciated
Thanks again

Last edited by Ultimat777; 11-23-2008 at 10:41 PM.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My Setup....need some advice (Ultimat777)

DEFF get an lsd I have a 454whp civic i drive on the street and the lsd helps alot. As far as the tranny some people will say go with the SI some people will say so with the GSR it's kinda personall prefference in my eyes. You said you were on a budget so I would use which ever one was easer/cheaper for you to get eather way get the LSD. The Crower springs and retainers are very good but the stock valves I wouldent leave there are some good aftermarket ones that arent really expensive. The intake mani is ok to leave now down the road i'de upgrade. For your HP goals you wont need anything bigger than a t3/t04e. It will be a lot cheaper and spool faster and do the job and more. Your setup sounds pretty good there are somethings i would change tho but not bad.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My Setup....need some advice (b16bri)

Yea...i definetly feel like the lsd is going to be a necessity. And yes, i am on a budget...but i want to do it right the first time...and not have to take **** apart again. The motor is out of the car and apart now...so i feel like i should take care of the main **** now...(tranny, head, block)

i am probably going to keep the Si tranny and order the quaife lsd.

I actually haven't sent out the block yet....but i am in the process of finding a box and ****. It will be gone by the end of the week. I am going with the 84mm bore...would it be safer to go with a smaller bore and just boost higher? I know that 84mm is the max...but also still safe. I dont want to go too big...and i know if i ever have a problem...its going to have to be bored bigger, and that worries me. What do you think of that?

How are the supertech valves...i was actually thinking about getting them also before putting everything back together.

I know the turbo is kinda overkill...but it is a sick turbo...ball bearing...and quality. As far as spooling faster...i dont really mind the lag. I am going to be street driven 100% of the time, and i want it to be very streetable.
454whp is a lot...how is it on the road? When it rains are you still able to drive?

you say you would do things differently...what do you got?

thanks again.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:42 PM

Default Re: My Setup....need some advice (b16bri)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b16bri &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">DEFF get an lsd I have a 454whp civic i drive on the street and the lsd helps alot. As far as the tranny some people will say go with the SI some people will say so with the GSR it's kinda personall prefference in my eyes. You said you were on a budget so I would use which ever one was easer/cheaper for you to get eather way get the LSD. The Crower springs and retainers are very good but the stock valves I wouldent leave there are some good aftermarket ones that arent really expensive. The intake mani is ok to leave now down the road i'de upgrade. For your HP goals you wont need anything bigger than a t3/t04e. It will be a lot cheaper and spool faster and do the job and more. Your setup sounds pretty good there are somethings i would change tho but not bad.</TD></TR></TABLE>

the only t3/t04e that could support his power goals would be a t3/t04e 57 trim, and the gt3076r spools faster than that.

i would use an oem overbored gasket by Golden Eagle instead of the cometic.

I'd just rock the SI tranny because you got it. If you dont already have the fuel rail it is not necessary for you. We've had excellent success with the supertech valvetrain.

an 83mm bore wouldnt be a bad idea incase for any reason you have any issues it gives you more room.

As for drivability, there is no reason you cant have a very streetable car with your power goals. rain or shine. heck i had my 574whp gt30r powered civic in a blizzard before, not that i condone it but it got the job done.

I would consider getting 880cc injectors or larger, with a sleeved block and a 30r i could easily see you wanting more power down the line, it always happens.

overall the build looks great. good luck with everything.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My Setup....need some advice (mike@synapse motorsport)

i didn't think that you could get 550+ out of the 30r? What size is the turbo.??
I think it probably is a good idea to go with the golden eagle gasket...seeing as they are the ones doing all the work on the block. Good idea...thanks

probably going to pick up a set of either the supertech valves or the omnipower...whichever i can find cheaper...and through them in with the crower springs and retainers and some gsr cams. This should allow me to rev at least to 9k (dont plan on taking it past that).

As for the bigger injectors...wont the 780cc be enough for now? Down the line when i get the new intercooler, intake manifold, and other ****....i was thinking i would get the bigger injectors then.

I am also thinking of putting the ls final drive in the si tranny....i wish i could have the gsr trans...but its just too much now. I feel like the the si tranny is just gonna fly through gears(faster than i would like)....i dont know what i should do

One more question...when i get the car tuned....right now i have a manual boost controller. So if i wanna just drive around town and not have rediculous power...i can have a low boost setting... how does that work??? he tunes it to 2 different settings? how do i have a low and high boost safely?

Old 05-19-2008, 05:13 AM

Default Re: My Setup....need some advice (Ultimat777)

u can have it all on one map. the map is tuned at each boost level and rpm. so when you run more boost it already reads from a different section of the map that should have been properly tuned. so if you are tuned up to 15psi lets say. you can run anything below, up to, and including 15psi, without any changes.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My Setup....need some advice (mike@synapse motorsport)

oooo, i get it now. Never really understood that...but its clear now. thanks for that.

As for the tranny i am still going crazy trying to find out what i should do. I am most likely sticking with the Si tranny because 1. i have it and 2. i just ordered the wavetrac lsd for it.

With the b16 tranny...i want to lower my 5th gear revs.
Do i need to change both the 5th gear and the final drive...or just one or the other? i am a little confused by this...maybe someone can clear that up for me? And would it be best to go with an aftermarket gear/fd or just get one out of a transmission? I have been looking for gears and final drives but i can't really find anything anywhere.

Synapse... you have been really helpful up to this point and i really appreciate it. I was lookin on your site and i see you sell turbos. I want to pick up one of the gt3076's (i think the 35r might be too much?? you tell me) but i really dont know much about the housing sizing and the discharge and v-band. So i was wondering if maybe you can help me pick out the best option for my car.
Also...with my power goals and everything else...am i going to be good with the 38mm wastegate for now? or i do i have to upgrade?

thanks again in advance

From all the research i have done so far...i feel like this would give the best results for a turbo'd motor with b16 trans....what do you think of that? It is not in my budget right now....but maybe eventually down the line it could be. Any good?!!!
ls 1st and 2nd gear b16 3rd and 4th, and ls 5th with ls final drive.

Modified by Ultimat777 at 10:31 AM 5/20/2008

Modified by Ultimat777 at 10:49 AM 5/20/2008
Old 05-20-2008, 10:52 AM

pm sent
Old 05-21-2008, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mike@synapse motorsport)

Since making this thread i have ordered:
Wavetrac LSD
Greddy turbo timer
Greddy profec b spec 2
Ferrea valves, guides, valve locks and seals

turbo will be ordered very soon...just trying to make sure everything is gonna work well together

Whats the deal with catch cans? Would you guys recommend them?

I am still considering ls 5th gear..what parts am i going to need to do this swap?

Would it be necessary for me to get a new oil pan? or is stock good

Anything else i might be missing for reliabilty/security? Thanks again guys you have been great

Modified by Ultimat777 at 11:00 PM 6/16/2008
Old 06-16-2008, 10:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Ultimat777)

I feel like i should change out the stock intake manifold....but i dont know if i should go with somehting that has a higher powerband or somthing that is better off on the low end...What is better for street use? Would i be able to use the stock b16 IM? or should i just change it out?
After doing so much research i am starting to get a little concerned about traction issues...i want to have a quick car, but i want to be able to put down the power. What is better for traction, a car with a lot of power down low, or up high? Quick spool or a laggier spool?

Old 06-17-2008, 12:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

jg edelbrock is very good
Old 06-17-2008, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (quik sol)

how much power is the stock one good until?
Old 06-17-2008, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Ultimat777)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ultimat777 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how much power is the stock one good until?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats kind of hards to answer. Different setups will make different power. Its not like the bottom end of a block where things are gonna start breaking at certain Hp numbers. The stock manifold will make your HP goals but an upgrade wll free up Hp allowing you to run less boost and make the same Hp. It is better to increase VE and make Hp instead of generating it by boost. It will create less stress on the internals.

Better for traction would be an engine that produces power in the upper Rpm range but even then when your trying to put down 400hp traction is always gonna be an issue. Staged boost control works good!

Catchcan Setup... Yes Yes Yes why not its an easy hp increase on top of it relieving stress on the engine. Pressure inside you engine creates a thing called "pumping loss" this basically boils down to your rotating assembly having to work against the pressure build up in your block. Releasing this pressure decreases your engines pumping loss in other words makes it easier for the work created to push your pistons down.

Oil pan you can upgrade or modify the stock one.