Notices

my nitrous'd b20 build thread w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default my nitrous'd b19 build thread w/pics

So the point of this thread is to have an ongoing place for more experienced honda guys to offer advice and/or help me and hopefully in the process set out a blueprint for others wishing to do the same thing. Built a lot of fast cars but this will be my first honda build so open for any suggestions from everyone.

goal is for low 13's on nt555r drag radials all motor and 12's on a 75 shot while also getting better than 35mpg on the freeway not looking to spend a ton of money but want to spend enough to do it right. Reliability is crucial here as this is my commute car.

The Build

BOTTOM END:
b18c1 with shot peened LS rods and ARP rod bolts
balanced
P73 pistons
ARP everything
(b18c1 with LS crank is about 1.9 liters displacement so B19 haha.)

HEAD:
b16 head ported by DNR
supertech flat faced valves
supertech springs/retainers
blox hsl cams (ANYONE WITH EXPERIENCE WITH THESE ON HERE???)

bolt ons:
hytech replica header
2.5 DMH electric cutout
68mm throttle body
3 inch short ram intake
BPI velocity stack
have a p73 (itr) intake manifold - still debating if I should run something else

Fuel/ECU
650cc Fuel Injector Clinic Injectors
Walbro 255lph fuel pump
stock fuel rail/regulator
currently on chrome but debating upgrading to hondata s300

drivetrain
jdm gsr transmission with lsd - rebuilt by rebello racing
itr 3rd gear
ls fifth gear
10lb flywheel
stage 2+ full face clutch
stock axles

Nitrous:
ZEX dry nozzle kit to spray the nitrous
then plan to add fuel with the injectors either through hondata or some other method
hoping I can safely spray a 50 shot on the street and up it to 75 at the track and dump in a few gallons of C16 just for insurance, may even try a 100 shot at some point depending on how the car runs
will have it tuned somewhere locally in the bay area, probably either Redzone or Blacktraxx

STILL NEED TO DECIDE:
what type of head gasket
what type of crank pulley/balancer
if nitrous can be controlled with something cheaper than hondata

all in a 1994 eg civic hatch that's not stripped but has no sound insulation, no AC or ps, not sure how heavy, guessing 2150lbs

dropping my bottom end off at the shop next week to have hone, new rings and main/rod bearings put in then plan to move pretty quickly in pulling out my 177whp gsr cam'd ls vtec and then put in the new beast! freakin stoked, can't wait to get this thing moving!
Attached Images     

Last edited by neverstop; 11-08-2010 at 10:02 AM.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: my nitrous'd b20 build thread w/pics

some shots of the spring/retainers and the pistons
Attached Images   

Last edited by neverstop; 08-24-2010 at 03:54 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

and here is what it will be replacing and a blurry pic of the car it's going into, and a shot of my other honda (the shifter kart)
Attached Images    
Old 08-20-2010, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice project.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

shiny,do u plan on running bigger cams wen u feel like paying for it?and what bout the bbk intake mani?
Old 08-21-2010, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

haven't seen any dyno sheets of the BBK intake, you running it? I think it's probably between porting my itr, running AEBS or paying up for the Edelbrock

I probably won't run bigger cams, in a perfect world I'd have some pro2's but I don't feel like spending $600 on them, I haven't seen to many dyno sheets of these Blox HSL cams so we'll see how they do first though.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think your setup looks pretty solid as is. I dont see why you would need any other intake manifold. The itr flows pretty good for what your trying to do. s300 wouldnt be a necessity but it would definitely help
Old 08-21-2010, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks man, I think you're probably right, I may cut it open and do a light port job on it also but any other intake manifold is probably only worth a few more horsepower and so maybe not worth the cost. I can always change it later too if I want to.

is there any cheaper alternative than hondata that has the functionality of controlling the nitrous? I would much prefer to add the fuel at the injectors and just spray only the nitrous through the intake in order to maintain better fuel distribution between cylinders.

any suggestions on which direction to go with the nitrous setup?
Old 08-22-2010, 01:08 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by neverstop
thanks man, I think you're probably right, I may cut it open and do a light port job on it also but any other intake manifold is probably only worth a few more horsepower and so maybe not worth the cost. I can always change it later too if I want to.

is there any cheaper alternative than hondata that has the functionality of controlling the nitrous? I would much prefer to add the fuel at the injectors and just spray only the nitrous through the intake in order to maintain better fuel distribution between cylinders.

any suggestions on which direction to go with the nitrous setup?

Just stick to hondata I'm on chrome and would rather stick to hondata its worth the money I think!
Old 08-22-2010, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

any particular reason why? I was leaning towards using hondata but even a used ecu with s300 is like $500!
Old 08-22-2010, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone have any idea how the hell to get this unorthodoxy crank pully off? I bought the special honda tool but it doesn't fit?
Attached Images  
Old 08-22-2010, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by neverstop
anyone have any idea how the hell to get this unorthodoxy crank pully off? I bought the special honda tool but it doesn't fit?
no luck with air tools? i have been able to remove a few pulleys with no tool but i did take the transmission off and i wedged a crow bar to stop the flywheel from turning
Old 08-22-2010, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

got to impact it out if the motor is on a stand
Old 08-22-2010, 11:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Or... Last try is to put a wood block between a block and crankshaft, so crankshaft dosen`t move or spin.. Than use a big pipe, socket and ratchet to loose a bolt..
Old 08-23-2010, 12:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by OpusGarage
Or... Last try is to put a wood block between a block and crankshaft, so crankshaft dosen`t move or spin.. Than use a big pipe, socket and ratchet to loose a bolt..
that just sounds like a bad idea
Old 08-23-2010, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I say last idea.. I don`t see your idea..

Anyway, that how you Americans use this method on V-8s..
Old 08-24-2010, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks guys, I hit it with the impact tools and no luck, also tried using a crowbar on the flywheel and this *ucker is on their tight! I think the only option is to wedge something in there like a block of wood and put some pressure on it. I'm getting the entire bottom end rebuild anyway and if I really am putting so much stress on it I feel I may break something in the bottom end I'll just stop and have the machine shop take it off (so if something breaks then it's their fault!)

also, update on the nitrous situation:

So I decided direct port is more money/work than is necessary for what I'm doing plus I got a really really good deal on a zex dry kit, so I am going to get the ZEX dry kit on Monday and then just add the fuel at the injectors. So I'll be just spraying the nitrous through the intake, and since it's designed to flow air it should flow the nitrous gas in relatively even mix across the cylinders, then adding fuel with the injectors through hondata is the way to go it seems. I'm only going to spray a 75 shot or so, so I think this is probably the best/cheapest/simple way to accomplish my goals.

I'm thinking I may even install the nitrous kit on my gsr cam'd ls vtec and take it out to the track with a 50 shot at some point in the next few weeks before I yank it out.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

here is a better pic of the car when I first bought it too, I've since tinted the windows and some other small stuff but this is pretty close to how it looks.
Attached Images  
Old 08-24-2010, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

here is the dyno sheet from my old ls vtec just for comparison when I dyno my new motor too. Decent power for gsr cams, won't win any records but fun setup for now.

here are the details of the setup
https://honda-tech.com/forums/all-motor-naturally-aspirated-44/my-ls-vtec-dyno-sheet-2783197/

since then I put a stock muffler on there with DMH ecutout and feels like I picked up 2-4whp everywhere through the cutout vs. the magnaflow exhaust setup.
Attached Images  

Last edited by neverstop; 11-23-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you can't do 12's on motor with that setup, you need to practice driving and get a better setup as far as wheels/suspension goes.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i was thinking the same thing,that setup should be good for mid 12's fairly easy with a good driver.you should dip into the 11's on tha dope!!!
clean car,also if nothing else has worked find some one with a good gas torch and heat the pulley up alot but keep it moving not to warp anything then hit it with the impact.it may take a few times but she.ll come off!!! good luck sounds like hella fun
Old 08-24-2010, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hahaha....

I know man but I didn't want to put some goal like "11's or bust!" and then curse myself! I'll keep my goals pretty easy and then see how it goes.

I race shifter karts, have open tracked my ls1 camaro, autox'd porsches, etc but never really did drag racing seriously so we'll see how I do.

Also, I'm only going to be running on drag radials with no plans for slicks yet, probably just nt555r tires, since I don't want to have to build up the axles/tranny/etc and want to be able to rip on it on the street so I'm sure that will hurt my times. To be honest I"m really aiming at mph instead of et.

I'll definitely be taking the car as it sits to the track in the next few weeks too so that will be fun. If I can do 14.3 then I'll be happy considering i'll be on old street tires, open diff, and ls tranny. Hopefully it will get me some seat time though at least.

as far as suspension, I'm running on some bull ish right now, just generic springs that are way too stiff and some tokiko blues. Plan to upgrade to some ground controls and konis at some point but not sure when.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can run slicks on stock trans/axles (assuming you have a good clutch), lol. Just don't go dumping the clutch all ***** nilly. Read up on pre-loading and launching FWD on slicks.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks man, I'll check it out, I need new front tires anyway though and I think I'm going to buy the nitto drag radials and see how it goes. I may do slicks later but I'm sure I'll make at least a few trips to the track on the street drag radials first. should be interesting as it has been many many years since i did anything like drag racing. I will really be pushing the limits of this clutch I think too, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

anyone have any thoughts on how reliable the stock ZEX dry nitrous kit is? is it really going to be better to add fuel using the hondata?? still have a lot to learn here on the honda nitrous game so appreciate ya'll help
Old 08-24-2010, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've seen a few guys burn up their motors with Zex messing up (not operator error). I'd stick to good 'ol NOS or Nitrous Express.

Can't say I have any first hand experience with it, though.

Quick Reply: my nitrous'd b20 build thread w/pics