Notices

My new d-series turbo set up is all done! Check it out!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new d-series turbo set up is all done! Check it out!

I just got done installing my new turbo set up! I'm so excited!

I installed everything myself with absolutely no help from friends... every one was busy for some reason

Anyways, it took me about three days because I had to fabricate all of the intercooler piping, downpipe, and dumptube myself...

I'm at 7psi right now and am going to stay here for a bit and probably turn up the boost this summer when I buy an electronic boost controller...

Anyways, here are the pics! I am open to any feedback/comments, it is a work in progress...

My oil T on the firewall... just found a small leak from the feed off the back of the block, shouldn't be too hard to fix!

DSM 450cc injectors w/ inline resistors... controlled by Uberdata....

Oil feed with oil pressure restrictor...

Custom (by me ) dump tube and ghetto screen with fleece filter (I ordered a small UNI motorcycle filter that will be here in a few days but I figure some kind of filtration is better than none )

Turbo XS RFL BOV...

Here's the set up...

60 Trim T3 .48/.60
Drag III manifold
Tial Wastegate w/ .5 bar spring
Fast-Turbo.com oil T, feed, and return line
Turbo XS RFL blow off valve
Old style JRC 5" intercooler
DSM 450cc blue top injectors
Uberdata running BBKA's "tracktune" (hope he doesn't mind! Works well by the way )
Custom downpipe with flex section and extra o2 bung for wideband use
Full synthetic oil
One step colder plugs (can't remember which ones) gapped to 0.30

The only problems I encountered during installation was an injector which was leaking badly (the clip filled up with gas! How's that for a fire hazard?!) and a small oil leak in the feed line... other than that she started right up and purred like a kitten!

Anyways, let me know what you think! Comments and criticism is all welcomed here!

Modified by EJ1 wilcox at 5:37 PM 1/4/2005
Old 01-03-2005, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

looks beautiful...
Old 01-03-2005, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: My new d-series turbo set up is all done! Check it out! (EJ1 wilcox)

good job thats really close to what id want in a d series setup: home made but not ghetto and a clean install
Old 01-03-2005, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My new d-series turbo set up is all done! Check it out! (EJ1 wilcox)

looks real nice bro...i jsut got my turbo kit for my 2001 gsr...cant wait till im boosted like you...props on the solo install
good luck with it...be safe
Old 01-03-2005, 04:18 PM

Default Re: (yangtech)

definently ditch the screen for a real filter. Looks good otherwise. dump pipe looks decent for diy.

you need to run resistors with the 440s and uberdata?
Old 01-03-2005, 04:26 PM

Default Re: (snoochtodanooch)

damn... looks good! i like how you got creative with the dumptupe. It looks warm over there in portland. what kind of exhaust are you running?

new generation of ghettoness...
Old 01-03-2005, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (evosol)

i like it minus the wastegate placement, any plans for a better turbo manifold?
Old 01-03-2005, 04:46 PM

Default Re: (slowpokesi)

Looks good, props to a fellow turbo d!
Old 01-03-2005, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Synapse Motorsports)

. I'm not a Turbo'd D fan but, That's a gnarley setup. Much Props.

Phil
Old 01-03-2005, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Were did you get the oil restrictor? And is that a -3?
Old 01-03-2005, 04:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The way I like it, clean and custom.
Old 01-03-2005, 05:11 PM
'

Very nice ****! I got a greddy 15g on myself on my civic ex 96.

so how do you like the TurboXS RFL? is that **** louddd??
Old 01-03-2005, 05:18 PM

Default Re: (l337hxr)

Damn that's clean. Did you spray the charge piping?

Also, are you still using the stock oil pressure sensor? How did you ground it?
Old 01-03-2005, 05:38 PM

Default Re: (hondaguyef)

Working on my D-series setup. Definitley like how yours came out.
Old 01-03-2005, 05:40 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: (DCivic00)

very clean setup. i love it

AND FINALLY, SOMEONE THAT DOES THEIR OIL FEED LINES PROPERLY
Old 01-03-2005, 05:56 PM

SOHC VTEC TURBO
Old 01-03-2005, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thats an awesome looking setup, great job
Old 01-03-2005, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (snoochtodanooch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by snoochtodanooch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
you need to run resistors with the 440s and uberdata?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, either inline restrictors or you can use a restrictor box... I bought the inlines at Radio Shack for like $4... and they work fine so far!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by evosol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> what kind of exhaust are you running?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have a Tanabe Racing Medalion exhaust with a "high flow cat", which is really just a resonated test pipe

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slowpokesi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i like it minus the wastegate placement, any plans for a better turbo manifold?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, eventually I will get another manifold with better wastegate placement... I just got this one used for really cheap and figured I'd give it a try... I know that the wastegate placement can cause boost spikes but I'm not too worried because I'm at low boost for now. I will get an equal length manifold when I build my engine and up the boost!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DRAGLS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Were did you get the oil restrictor? And is that a -3?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The feed line is -3 and I bought the restrictor from ATP turbo... I've heard that if these turbos see too much oil pressure the seals blow quickly so I figured I'd get a restrictor for added insurance...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by l337hxr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so how do you like the TurboXS RFL? is that **** louddd??</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's pretty darn loud! It works great and I don't mind the noise... I had to add two spacers so it would stay shut at idle, which really isn't a big deal at all...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sporkcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Did you spray the charge piping?

Also, are you still using the stock oil pressure sensor? How did you ground it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I sprayed the charge piping, downpipe, and dumptube with high-temp (1500 deg) aluminum paint... it came out pretty nice but I can tell the paint on the dumptube isn't going to hold up to the temps... I tried to clean the pipes as much as I could before I painted them, but who knows...

The stock oil pressure sensor is hooked up to the T but I didn't ground it... I've heard that it doesn't work if it's not grounded but I'm not worried because I have my electronic oil pressure gauge, I'll just keep an eye on that.

Thanks for all the positive feedback! I have been planning this setup for a while now and it's really nice to have it on my car!

I'm going to be buying a digital video camera soon and I'll make some videos when I do!

Old 01-03-2005, 06:47 PM

Default Re: (EJ1 wilcox)

Nice job dude that kit looks pretty sweet!

I don't mind you using my maps at all, it should be a pretty good place to start tuning from, just make sure you get your car on a dyno or have somebody slap a wideband on it so you know what's really going on with your engine before you go crazy on the boost.

I am curious what tune of mine you are running though? My lastest tune is for uberdata 1.66 and I had it tuned up to 12psi on my car. I actually backed the timing down 2 degrees in the last 3 boost columns recently because I slightly blew my head gasket runing 12psi. My wastegate wasn't holding 12psi though and it was actually spiking to like 14-15psi, so I think if I would had had a tial and held a solid 12psi I would have been fine, but I backed the timing down and the boost down to 10psi just to be safe until I get a better wastegate.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:55 PM

very nice looking, im jealous!

any plans to hook the crank case vent up to the turbo air intake or just gunna keep venting to atmosphere?
Old 01-03-2005, 07:02 PM

Default Re: (beerbongskickass)

That's one of the cleanest homemade kits I've seen. The charge pipes look real nice. I say the manifold and dumptube are way above normal for a do it yourselfer. Don't change anything, just rock it.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (stealthmode62)

set up looks real nice , good start
Old 01-03-2005, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How does the turbo spool on that setup? I am debating on getting either a T3 or T3/T4 with similar ARs and was wondering when you are seeing full boost and it is being maintained up until redline?

Thanks!

Chris
Old 01-03-2005, 07:32 PM

Default Re: (crxrocks)

I have a t3 60 trim .60/.48 on a stock d16z6 and I get full boost a little before 4,000 rpms and it rips hard to redline... I love it.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (beerbongskickass)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beerbongskickass &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I don't mind you using my maps at all, it should be a pretty good place to start tuning from, just make sure you get your car on a dyno or have somebody slap a wideband on it so you know what's really going on with your engine before you go crazy on the boost.

I am curious what tune of mine you are running though? My lastest tune is for uberdata 1.66 and I had it tuned up to 12psi on my car. I actually backed the timing down 2 degrees in the last 3 boost columns recently because I slightly blew my head gasket runing 12psi. My wastegate wasn't holding 12psi though and it was actually spiking to like 14-15psi, so I think if I would had had a tial and held a solid 12psi I would have been fine, but I backed the timing down and the boost down to 10psi just to be safe until I get a better wastegate.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks! I'm glad you don't mind, I'm sure you are aware of how **** and secretive some people are about their .bin files.... I am using the Uberdata 1.66 tune you did a while ago, I think it was called "12psitune" or something like that...

I am just using it as a base for now. I am going to tune my car soon anyways. I am either going to make an appointment at TorqueFreaks or try to find someone in the Portland area who has a wideband and would be willing to help me street tune it!

I'll definately be around this summer at the Woodburn Drags and maybe even PIR. I'd like to meet you and the rest of the HMT guys if you come! I couldn't have done this without all the stuff I learned from that site!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IvanB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
any plans to hook the crank case vent up to the turbo air intake or just gunna keep venting to atmosphere?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I haven't really decided yet... I've heard different stories about whether or not I need a catch can with only 7psi. I will probably end up buying a cheap catch can off eBay or something just to be safe.

Quick Reply: My new d-series turbo set up is all done! Check it out!