My little brother wants to pick up a RX7! some questions for you FI guys?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 10:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the LS1 is all aluminium so it real light for a V8.. there is a guy on the forums with a FD that has a ford 347 stroker with a decent sized turbo that runs a 9.2 on his pumpgas boost setting
Old 02-08-2005, 10:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Zakar)

Now why would someone wanna install a lightweight powerful as **** engine such as the Ls1 into a race inspired, light, superb handling chassis such as the Mazda 3rd gen Rx7????

Have to be a madman....
Old 02-08-2005, 10:48 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: (Ls1 FD3s)

because, as purists. some people like the car the way it originally came. Turbo rx-7's are bitchin and to put a v8 in one is a waste of a car IMO
Old 02-08-2005, 10:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Maybe becuase the current record is a 11.80 with a 100% stock Ls1 through the cats in a 94 Fd...
and....
50/50 weight dist
28mpg
TORQUE!
6-speed
RELIABILITY

Turbo rotaries are as good as what i use my SOHC's for.... Boat Ancors!!!

Purists??? You mean ****** computer nerd pussies like all the members on Rotardclub.com
Old 02-08-2005, 10:52 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

rather have a turbo, lol.

dunno. i've never been to a rotary website, heard they bitch and whine too much
Old 02-08-2005, 10:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: My little brother wants to pick up a RX7! some questions for you FI guys? (Tad)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah, I'm pretty sure the stock turbos have a longer lifespan than the motor,
I used to frequent rx7club.com as much as I do honda-tech, and never really heard much about ppl blowing their turbos.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think it was just the secondary turbo dieing. I believe it was the same reason the MKIV TT's second turbo dies...because it doesn't get used as much. On second thougt I think it was either 100K or 125K is when people usually get their turbo rebuilt, it wasn't as low as 70K. But either way, if you get a rebuilt motor, it only makes sense to get the turbos rebuilt too.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:10 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ls1 FD3s &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Maybe becuase the current record is a 11.80 with a 100% stock Ls1 through the cats in a 94 Fd...
and....
50/50 weight dist
28mpg
TORQUE!
6-speed
RELIABILITY

Turbo rotaries are as good as what i use my SOHC's for.... Boat Ancors!!!

Purists??? You mean ****** computer nerd pussies like all the members on Rotardclub.com </TD></TR></TABLE>

I find it hard to believe you'll still get 50/50 weight dist with a completely different engine in there, even if it does weight the same, that v8 still fits entirely behind the front axle??
Old 02-08-2005, 11:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Tad)

thanks for all the info, here is the car i was looking at if any one is interested, http://www.craigslist.org/eby/car/57759420.html. the guy really didn't have much details about the re-build though. for now, i think i am going to stay away from these things, they are really cool, but right now i need more of a car that i don't need to worry about blowing up on the way to school, so i guess the search is on for an m3 or a type r
Old 02-08-2005, 11:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

fits in there better than the rotary and fits in there 1000x better than a ls1 f-body. The crankshaft sits lower than the 13b's eccentric shaft. The 13b didnt sit behind the front "axle" althought there arent any. The ls1 isnt 100% behind the front wheels axis, but it is all exposed unlike in a camaro or vette where it hides under the cowl.
Relocate the battery to the rear and thats about it. The closeness of 50/50 is better with the ls1 than the 13b, maybe only by a few pounds,,, but considering the situation, im not complaining. One of the members on v8rx7 weighed in at 2704 with PS and no real weight reductions with his LS1/fd. I think he had an R1 model, i know the touring is 2784, has sunroof and bose system which is heavy. i think the R1 weighed in at 2728.

The rotards "god" of engine swaps the 20b (3 rotor) is an outright tanker and weighs more than a Ls1 and actually does make the front end heavier over stock by a fair ammount. It also hangs another rotor housing further out towards the front of the vehicle. Might actually have torque, but those who can afford them, still blow em up the same way as any other turboed rotary. Great concept and design, but it doesnt belong in a semi daily driven vehicle. The N/a Rx8's sega genesis engine's are blowing up too!

Cool motor i guess, but it doesnt belong in my engine bay...
Old 02-08-2005, 11:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Rx7's are hella sick...but maintainence will be a bitch.....my friends Turbo Rx7 broke down every couple of weeks...

Old 02-09-2005, 01:09 AM

Umm...I'd rather be Rotory than 'd on!

Rocks, you can PM me, I am in So. Cal. and very willing to help a fellow Rotor Head with his car...
Old 02-09-2005, 05:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SidewaysStar)

You mean Rotard head right?
Old 02-09-2005, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how about swapping a 1jz into it? Its a cheap swap.. Did the 2nd gen rx7 motors have the same problems as the 3rd gens? Would a built 3rd gen motor still have some of these inconsistencies?
Old 02-09-2005, 07:58 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (chidoks)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chidoks &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how about swapping a 1jz into it? Its a cheap swap.. Did the 2nd gen rx7 motors have the same problems as the 3rd gens? Would a built 3rd gen motor still have some of these inconsistencies?</TD></TR></TABLE>

well theres only 3 moving pieces in a rotary engine,
whereas theres countless ammounts of moving parts in a piston engine..

so basically when subjected to a turbo, imo, there just really isn't as much
that you can do to the motor to make it bullet proof as you can to a piston engine.

the 2nd and 3rd gen, but have a similar ammount of problems,
but 3rdgens are more expensive.

honestly though, if you FIX the weak links in the FD powerplant,
shotty cooling and fueling(yeah.. 2 good things to build cheaply on a tempermental
highpowered turbo powerplant right??? HAH!!!) you should be pretty good..
Old 02-11-2005, 02:15 AM
They Call Me Banned

Default Re: My little brother wants to pick up a RX7! some questions for you FI guys? (Rocks)

Well heres my 2 cents..

Comming from an RX-7 owner, these cars will give you head aches..seriously..they will..and if you ever decide to get into the rotary game..you should have some extra cash stashed up in the bank for, "just in case" porposes or if anything happens to go wrong and buying nice parts ..

Tips for picking rx7s..just cause the price is great doesnt mean the car is..never..(well in my poinion) buy a high millage rotary car..anything past 70xxx miles on its clock i would avoid unless you have a rebuild in its very near future..

Maintenance is requird..non of that i'll do it next time stuff(these are not honda motors)..i changed my oil and did my regular maintenance every 20xxx miles just to be safe..and checked everything every week..(plugs, wires, compression, etc.) just for safety mesures..oh and you know on those ocassions you happen to not warm your car up completely..i suggest you do..warm the car up fully and after a drive(a light drive, hard drive any drive) cool it down it will help your motor live longer and not bake the oil in the turbo..

well enough about me bitching about things that you would have to do and problems..if you treat that rx7 right it will treat you right..you should treat a rotary engine like a baby..tend to its needs, if somethings unusual check it out and bring it to a doctor(rotary mechanic) and if you keep up with all that..you will have one of the best race bred cars on earth..the handling is beautiful, the power is great(if motor is done right) its just a really really nice car.. oh and some other tips abotu rx7s..turbo rx7 need a full 3 inch and weight is a killer key factor of an rx7..lose as much of it as you can on your car withour going over board..and letting it fart through a full 3 inch DP and exhaust will do wonders for it. good luck..

dont knwo if i just rambled on about crap cause im very very very sleepy..if you have any questions either PM me or find me in teh ALL MOTOR forum hahaha..later
Old 02-11-2005, 02:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My little brother wants to pick up a RX7! some questions for you FI guys? (They Call Me Bizzare)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by They Call Me Bizzare &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">..and letting it fart through a full 3 inch DP and exhaust will do wonders for it. good luck.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That reminds me...you have to be very careful when modding an RX-7. It's not like other turbo cars where ou can put on an aftermarket intake, intercooler, DP, midpipe, and 3" exhaust without doing any fuel tuning.

The most basic rule of thumb is if you do more then two mods that alters the intake or exhaust flow then you need to either upgrade to a standalone or get a preburned ECU that adds more fuel. Intake mods increase airflow to the motor while exhaust mods cause the turbos to spool faster and boost higher which also increases airflow (turbo is sucking in more air). The exhaust mods can be controlled a little by going with a MBC system like Hallman, and also by porting out the WG orifice.

The RX-7 has a speed-density system which is different from the Supra or DSM's MAF system. While you are increasing the amount of airflow your rotary is getting, the fuel values are staying the same. Initially you will make power, because you are running slightly lean. But as the mods start to stack up you lean out too much and BOOM you blow the motor. An RX-7 is similar to your average turbo Honda, when you increase airflow by raising the boost you have to adjust fuel because the car wont automatically adjust it.

For people modding their RX-7's this is usually how they blow up their motors. The Apexi PFC is a good option, and if you're an RX-7 owner the $1300 price tag should not even faze you. Chipped ECU's like Pettitt or M2 (for those that live in CA) you can get used chipped ECU's for $300-$400 which would hold you over until you can get a full standalone. So at least you can still mod the car, only problem is you'll be running way rich. But in an FD this is definately a lot better then running too lean.
Old 02-11-2005, 07:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

another thing about the rx7 that i've noticed while working on them is the heat underneath the hood, check to make sure your cooling system is up to par, and visually inspect all the hoses and wiring in the engine bay, since it gets very hot under there, check to see if they have cracks anywhere
Old 02-11-2005, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been good to my FD and my FD has been good to me.

Sonny
Old 02-11-2005, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Sonny)

I'm looking into building an rx-7 for road racing and circuit racing. Is it a good idea? Its not going to be a daily driver or anything
Old 02-11-2005, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (chidoks)

http://www.rx7club.com buddy.

All the info on how many motors people go through yearly, how some blow up on the dyno with their new single setup on a BASELINE run.... To how they overheat, crack radiators, the vac hoses which sisko and ebert give 2 thumbs up, the shitty twin turbo system when it acts up. youl hear great things like "Eh my boost pattern is 10-2-7,,,, now WTF is wrong" Check out the site, its great!

Basically what Bizzare said is 100% true, they are very tempermental and with EVERY NEW MOD ADDED TO IT, IT NEEDS A RETUNE. Sounds like fun right?

It takes a VERY special person to love those engines and buy them one after the other... I call those people Rotards.

For a fun thread/poll search for " how many engines have you gone through?" or "what number engine are you currently on? " In the 3rd gen forums on rx7club.com I am 100% serious, those are valid threads with polls. lmao Some are on their 6th, 7th and 8th engine!
Old 02-11-2005, 07:37 PM
They Call Me Banned

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ls1 FD3s &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">http://www.rx7club.com buddy.

All the info on how many motors people go through yearly, how some blow up on the dyno with their new single setup on a BASELINE run.... To how they overheat, crack radiators, the vac hoses which sisko and ebert give 2 thumbs up, the shitty twin turbo system when it acts up. youl hear great things like "Eh my boost pattern is 10-2-7,,,, now WTF is wrong" Check out the site, its great!

Basically what Bizzare said is 100% true, they are very tempermental and with EVERY NEW MOD ADDED TO IT, IT NEEDS A RETUNE. Sounds like fun right?

It takes a VERY special person to love those engines and buy them one after the other... I call those people Rotards.

For a fun thread/poll search for " how many engines have you gone through?" or "what number engine are you currently on? " In the 3rd gen forums on rx7club.com I am 100% serious, those are valid threads with polls. lmao Some are on their 6th, 7th and 8th engine! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Rotard? umm thanks..haha i guess..on my first TurboII i went through atleast 4 engines within a year period..i just couldnt get enough of em id modd teh **** out of them and they would be fast..and when yoiu start going fast..everyone one knows you break stuff..not to mention motors..i mean if your LS1 went out on you..wouldnt you pick up aother? i love LS1's too..my lady has an 01 SS and i had one too..but i dont love them more than a wankel..im drunk..soooooooo peace

Despite what anyone may tell you about rotarys, how bad they are, how unriliable they are, etc. They are beautiful cars
Old 02-11-2005, 07:39 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ls1 FD3s &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">http://www.rx7club.com buddy.

For a fun thread/poll search for " how many engines have you gone through?" or "what number engine are you currently on? " In the 3rd gen forums on rx7club.com I am 100% serious, those are valid threads with polls. lmao Some are on their 6th, 7th and 8th engine! </TD></TR></TABLE>

dude, you're right, all that bad stuff happens,
but you know what, you're waayyy to stubborn and far to the other side of the spectrum

yeah that stuff happens, but its not like it all happens all the time,
and to everyone. There are plenty of people that have had their fd's for a long
time without too much hassle.

personally I love the rotary engine, and the way it sounds and feels.
and I love the stock twinturbo setup, it's pretty cool the way it works,
tiny turbo for low end, then the big one takes over up top.

v8's bore me, thus I wouldn't want to put one in any car..
but thats just me, and the way I feel about things.
Old 02-11-2005, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and I love the stock twinturbo setup, it's pretty cool the way it works,
tiny turbo for low end, then the big one takes over up top.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You've owned a FD and you dont even know what kind the turbo specs are? hehehe, j/k when I first did my research on FD's I made the mistake of thinking that the sequential setup had a small primary and larger secondary. That's a common misconception...the twins are actually identical in size with the seconday turbo having a few minor differences. But both of the turbos are Hitachi HT-12's which are identical.

just a lil FYI
Old 02-11-2005, 10:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BlueShadow)

As stubborn/ignant as i may sound towards the rotary, i actually know them VERY well. I could probably build one successfully, and i almost did rebuilt my 3rd one, which would have been reborn into the 4th. Instead, I made the descision to go Ls1, for all the money i have into my ls1/FD project, shiiiit, i could easily have a mid 400rwhp single turbo 2 rotor. And been well on my way to my 6th engine i was single turbo when i put the kabosh on the rotary setup. 3mm seals, cryoed, street ported (sounded mean at idle ) garret GT 66, 3in all the way, SMIC, apexi power FC, yada yada. I liked the rotary, sounded like i was firing up a f-16 fighter jet,,, and when i turned it off, it sounded as if i was turning the f-16 off. **** was pimp, ran very smooth, boost hit HARD AS **** at 3300, wasnt too controllable at all around corners. http://www.rearendwhipsout.com the trans is geared very tall. 80mph in 5th was like 2700rpm AKA bogging the engine. gas mileage SUCKED, somewhere around 12-15 thanks to my wild street port and garden hose style injectors. I can tune a turbo rotary and maintain them, i choose not to.

Honestly, i cant find one con about the ls1 swap. not A 100% LEGITAMATE con, not: " o you killed the car's soul" not "oh boost is better" not " the only moving parts are an Eccentric shaft and 2 rotors" not " **** dumbmestics" dont hate cuz they own 98% of the show. leaving 1000+rwhp supras making up the rest.

The car WILL still maintain 50/50 weight dist, get better gas mileage, lets face it the ls1 is more reliable stock or modified, hello Mr torque, 300rwhp stock, 1/4 miles times stock are low 12s with a shitty driver/no traction. Theres prolly some more, but ive covered many, many times already in other posts.

I do have respect for both. maybe one day when im rich (laughter) il build a single turbo 2 rotor FD again just for the pure whackyness of mixing two cycle oil in the gas. (you remove the oil injection **** when you go single ) Ya know, it doesnt smell like my snowmobile anymore at least, and it sounds like a mean **** camming its *** off.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:14 PM

Default Re: My little brother wants to pick up a RX7! some questions for you FI guys? (m R g S r)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by m R g S r &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I like the ls1 motor in em. Turbo/sc/spray, you easily have a 9 second car. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Any car with a LS1 in them will be liked..I've pondered crossing to the dark side and buy a Camaro Z28 just for that dam motor, now that's a sacrifice!

Rx'7s are the ****, I'm looking for my cousin's vid of his siete shooting flames while sideways...I fell in love with turbos the day I drove that car...

Quick Reply: My little brother wants to pick up a RX7! some questions for you FI guys?