Notices

My first tune + dyno sheet

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2004, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first tune + dyno sheet

Here is the dyno sheet of my first tune. All the info about my motor is in my sig. It took me a few hours to get it. I tuned another car sunday. I did the tuninig at streetmotorsports. you can check them out at http://www.streetmotorsports.com or http://www.boostfed.net and ask for terry.

Old 11-09-2004, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My first tune + dyno sheet (2000civicsi)

either you have way too big of a turbo, boost leak, something mechanically funky or what....that dyno graph is weird

but peak numbers, they are pretty damn sweet,

but the power band is wack for some reason

none the less, congrats on tuning...
Old 11-09-2004, 05:56 PM

how many lbs was this at??
Old 11-09-2004, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nice numbers...especially torque with that hp
Old 11-09-2004, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (jarelee)

Old 11-09-2004, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im jealous!

nice numbers
Old 11-09-2004, 06:34 PM

Default Re: (iGfrequency)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by iGfrequency &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im jealous!

nice numbers</TD></TR></TABLE>

Jealous of what, his useless 1000 RPM powerband and what is more than likely a massive boost leak? People on here have made 300 WHP at 14 psi on a T3/TO4E on stock LS motors, with 21 psi and spool like that it's pretty clear he has a huge boost leak.
Old 11-09-2004, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (boosted92)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosted92 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Jealous of what, his useless 1000 RPM powerband and what is more than likely a massive boost leak? People on here have made 300 WHP at 14 psi on a T3/TO4E on stock LS motors, with 21 psi and spool like that it's pretty clear he has a huge boost leak.</TD></TR></TABLE>

True 21 psi does seem like wayy too much for 310whp.
Old 11-09-2004, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My first tune + dyno sheet (Mase)

Like the title states this is the first car I tuned. This is my car. Everyone has to start somewhere. I thought the graph looked good. If you experience tuners out there can tell me whats wrong with the graph I would like to know. The turbo kit on the car was from parts I had lying around my garage. I needed a turbo real quick and cheap so I got an ssautochrome turbo. I don't think I had any boost leaks because I logged all my runs in the AEM EMS and the boost held solid. I'm using the AEM EMS with an apexi boost solenoid to control the boost. IF anyone has some constructive criticism thats going to help me the next time I tune my car please let me know. Any tips, tricks and help will be greatly appreciated. I've ordered a new turbo and I'm going to retune the car when its installed.
Old 11-09-2004, 08:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what was the A/F like? how much timing were u running and at what boost level?

honestly tho the spool time on that graph looks aweful. its very strange how it hits max torque then nose dives instantly.
nice numbers but theres more too be had there probably at a lower boost level too

i hate criticizing people but u asked
Old 11-10-2004, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (99B16Si)

thank you 99b16si opinion. I dont mind constructive criticism, its welcomed. It when people post on here and start telling your **** is fucked up and they won't tell you why, or staying they could have done it better. I know it could have been done better by a professional tuner. I'm trying to learn. Everyone has to start somewhere. My A/F was 12.1, I didnt do much with the timing map(that might be the problem). I logged all of my runs in the aem. If one you professional tuners that have the aem software I can email you my map and datalogs so you can tell me what I'm doing wrong.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:17 AM

Default Re: (2000civicsi)

my question is how the hell did you manage to end up with a B18A1 for 150 bucks???

Nice numbers too congrats on your first tune
Old 11-10-2004, 08:23 AM

I think the advice everyone is trying to give you is there is something mechanically wrong, not just with your tune.

As mentioned above with that much psi and that long slow curve there is definitly something leaking or a messed up turbo. Full spool at 5800rpm is either a massive turbo or a massive boost leak. You should do a leak test on all your piping and make sure the turbo isn't damaged or anything. Also check for any other kind of restrictions etc...
Also just becuase your boost is holding flat in your logs, doesn't mean it didn't take longer then it should to get there. I have experienced this in the past since I run the boost FB aswell with my AEM

What's the details on the turbo?

Also was this on race gas?
Old 11-10-2004, 08:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Alstare)

id look clasely at your timing maps. the aem basemaps tend to be extremely aggressive with timing. on 15psi and pump gas your timing should be around 14-18 degrees give or take a bit(every car is different)
Old 11-10-2004, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2000civicsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thank you 99b16si opinion. I dont mind constructive criticism, its welcomed. It when people post on here and start telling your **** is fucked up and they won't tell you why, or staying they could have done it better. I know it could have been done better by a professional tuner. I'm trying to learn. Everyone has to start somewhere. My A/F was 12.1, I didnt do much with the timing map(that might be the problem). I logged all of my runs in the aem. If one you professional tuners that have the aem software I can email you my map and datalogs so you can tell me what I'm doing wrong. </TD></TR></TABLE>

well first of all lose the attitude if you want any help.

secondly who said your tuning is bad? no one said that. Its something most likely mechanically wrong, so thats not going against your 'tuning skills'

you havent given any information on the turbo setup, so you cant expect anyone to give you answers.
Old 11-10-2004, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Mase)

I apologize if my post sounded like I have an atitude. I didnt mean to come off that way. We did a leak down on the motor before we went on the dyno. The results were &gt;1% across the board. The turbo set up is precision 880cc injectors,aem fuel rail, b&m fuel pressure regulator, aem c2di with 01 honda 954 coil sticks, aem 30-1010, hks ssqv, custom intercooler, 38mm tial wastegate, 3" downpipe with 3" race ready installed(it was open when I was on the dyno), greddy evo 2 catback exhaust system, apexi boost soleniod(aem controlling the boost), ssautochrome turbo(i needed something quick and fast so I could race @ import VS domestic. I already have a new turbo on the way). the spec's of the turbo are T3/T4 .50/.63 stage III wheel. We also checked for boost leaks and we did not find any. Let me you if you guys need any more info to help me find the problem
Old 11-10-2004, 11:27 AM

Check for boost leaks again. Go over all the vacuum lines to make sure they're hooked up correctly. Check your boost settings in the AEM. Check for exhaust leaks. A T3/TO4E 50 trim with a .63 A/R exhaust and a stage 3 turbine should NOT be spooling that late. That's what my power curve looked like with a PT67!
Old 11-10-2004, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (boosted92)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosted92 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Check for boost leaks again. Go over all the vacuum lines to make sure they're hooked up correctly. Check your boost settings in the AEM. Check for exhaust leaks. A T3/TO4E 50 trim with a .63 A/R exhaust and a stage 3 turbine should NOT be spooling that late. That's what my power curve looked like with a PT67!</TD></TR></TABLE>

True, but you might have missed the fact that it is an SSAC turbo. Which like you probably know, are notorious for blowing in the first week. If you dont have any leaks in your charge piping id put money on it that the turbo is the culprit
Old 11-10-2004, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Boltz)

After doing further research today I came to the conclusion that its my boost settings in the aem. I went back and look at my map today and saw that I have boost feedback enabled(for the people that dont know it exactly like closed loop o2 feedback) the entire time I was tuning. There are a few tables that greatly effect how fast the turbo spools up. I never step these tables up. They were left that the settings that was int he base cal. Until today I didnt realize that boost feedback was enabled. I think thats the reason my graph looks so linear. I'm going do some research and ask a few questions on the aem website to confirm this. Thanks for all the inputs and criticism. After I get my new turbo I will go back on the dyno.
Old 11-10-2004, 01:04 PM

21 psi!!! damn. i was wondering how u got that sick torque but now i know.
Old 11-10-2004, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice job on the numbers (though I'm sure you could do even better at lower boost)

Are you running the '90-91 cams or 92+?
Old 11-10-2004, 03:57 PM

Default Re: (VTC_CiViC)

i take it you bought the ss autochrome "T70" off of ebay ....that could be also be one of your problems in not being able to make boost??
Old 11-10-2004, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (maveric)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by maveric &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i take it you bought the ss autochrome "T70" off of ebay ....that could be also be one of your problems in not being able to make boost??</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol, thats funny you say that. The T70 is the best turbo they sell (ssauto). Its a ballbearing turbo they get from XS, and xs gets garrett to make them for them so they say. But on to my point. All the T3 and T3/4's ive read about or my friends have owned have done the same as what you see in the dyno plot. My friends GSR turbo with the T304e , 57 trim ssauto, wouldnt hit full boost until 5-6k. It only took 300 miles before the seals went.

I personaly just because i like to experiment baught the "t70" (really not a T70 but a 70A/R, 64.5 trim and 84a/r hot side. and refer to the Super 70 because of the compressor 70a/r) well anyways, I baught this turbo to see how it would do on my 2.0 b20. For the price, size, and it being ballbearing i thought it wouldnt hurt to invest in it because if i liked it I could use it on my Built LS that will be going in. Well after 3,500 miles I have no shaft play, dry as whistle (no leaks), fins spin freely while idleing and spool up time is full boost at 4krpms from a stop. At a roll it is at full boost pretty much instantly w/ out any lag. I managed a 12.7 @ 110 on 20 inch MT's with no traction in 1st on 8psi. Not too bad for the car w/ me in it weighing in at 2360lbs. (2.03 60ft)

so yeah, i just had to clear the name of that real quick. didnt mean to highjack a thread. just making a point so rummers arnt started. a few guys from this board know me and have ridden in the car and have changed their minds about the turbo also. This is a good turbo just ask, SOHC MShue, BruceHungLo, TurboSmart, Cimburke23. But you dont have to take my word for it. Do as you like

Good luck man, something does seem wrong there. when you get the new turbo let us know how it does.
Old 11-11-2004, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

in defence of 2000civicSI, i was there during the whole thing from the build up of the motor to the dyno and the problem was the turbo.there was a small kink in the oil return line and the seals blew out of the center section so oil was puddleing up inside of the turbine housing restricting how fast it could create boost.And on top of that the turbo was a big piece of ****. I wish he would of ran a better unit but you dont know unless you try!And for the record, it was all on 93 octane!
Old 11-11-2004, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

How much boost was this at?

Quick Reply: My first tune + dyno sheet