Notices

My expriences with SFP & Hondata

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 04:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (dasher)

Well I was just going by what he told me. But now that you said that you offered to give him your information it’s different. But dude I would have still called before I would have gone. But the way you were treated has no explanation but they did not want to tune your car. Iam sure they could have done something for you but they didn’t.
Old 05-24-2005, 05:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (92h22alude)

Damn Dasher, I'm having almost the same problem with CFT!!!!! I had to resched my original appt for a few days later. I came in on the specified date and they forgot to resched the hondata tuner.

I took my car there cause Mase went to Europe to tune some cars and I didn't want to wait like a month till I could get an appointment with him and Titan, well.....Darin is just kinda hard to get a hold of. Then sometimes, you can walk right in and he'll dyno your car, its kinda of a hit or miss thing with him.

Anyway....so on 5/13/05 CFT tuned my car, my tps kept fuking up so they couldn't rev past 6500 and they had to keep letting off cause the tps would throw the afr all over the place. It was late friday so they said fix the tps and come back on Tuesday, hondata tuner would be there. I came, he was not there, then wed was track day so no one was there. I still have not been able to go back to finish the tune.

Now I noticed the other day that my hondata is blinking which means he didn't burn the chip right or installed it wrong. So that means I'm running off the stock ecu and they were like "yea you can beat up on it all you want, just if the check engine comes one, get off the throttle"

I haven't beat up on it, mayble 1-2lbs of boost, I'll be pissed if something is wrong on my freshly built motor.

<<<<<<<wishes he would have just waited for mase too!!!!!
Old 05-24-2005, 05:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (mike1114)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike1114 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Damn Dasher, I'm having almost the same problem with CFT!!!!! I had to resched my original appt for a few days later. I came in on the specified date and they forgot to resched the hondata tuner.

I took my car there cause Mase went to Europe to tune some cars and I didn't want to wait like a month till I could get an appointment with him and Titan, well.....Darin is just kinda hard to get a hold of. Then sometimes, you can walk right in and he'll dyno your car, its kinda of a hit or miss thing with him.

Anyway....so on 5/13/05 CFT tuned my car, my tps kept fuking up so they couldn't rev past 6500 and they had to keep letting off cause the tps would throw the afr all over the place. It was late friday so they said fix the tps and come back on Tuesday, hondata tuner would be there. I came, he was not there, then wed was track day so no one was there. I still have not been able to go back to finish the tune.

Now I noticed the other day that my hondata is blinking which means he didn't burn the chip right or installed it wrong. So that means I'm running off the stock ecu and they were like "yea you can beat up on it all you want, just if the check engine comes one, get off the throttle"

I haven't beat up on it, mayble 1-2lbs of boost, I'll be pissed if something is wrong on my freshly built motor.

&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;wishes he would have just waited for mase too!!!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Damn, sorry to hear.

With the tuner at CFT I hear all sorts of different information. One of my buddies had his rx7 tuned on microtech and the tune was horrible. They have been grenading some cars lately but then again the owners have also been pushing their setups to the limits also. I also here good things about him however.

The ironic thing is that 2 days ago I get an email from Darin apologizing on not getting my email because his hotmail account is giving him problems. Its just as you explained it. Sometimes you can walk in Titan and see him and sometimes its impossible to get a hold of him. He charges 170/ hr(on the dyno) but is a great tuner nevertheless. His new email address he gave to me is ---

darin@highboost.com if you need a tune in central Florida

Modified by dasher at 9:33 AM 5/24/2005
Old 05-24-2005, 05:29 AM

Default Re: (mike1114)

******************What about the 350z on 7 psi that snapped a rod dave? or the white hatch sitting outside ...the owner of which is a good guy who had frank blow his motor a matter of months ago . We dont make this stuff up man...ohh I have your car on tape from the track friday. at least the run that was directly behind josh. If you need the video let him know he has it *********************

well ive read the whole thing and i personally know whats going on......

the 350 rev limiter was raised per customer request and against frank smith's recommendation.......any motor revved past the oem rev limiter is running a risk....epecially a v6...... not a tunning issue....the motor is either revved or not.....not the tuners fault....

and as per my car @@@@ WHITE HATCH@@@@ IT DIDNT BLOW.....the rod bushing for the wristpin was for some reason slightly sanded to ease the wristpin in......eventualy the wristpin/rod bushing tapered forcing the piston to want to push towards one side..................and rub agaist the wall.......its not a tunning issue and so happens to be in cyl 4..... the least likely to ever break.......

to show FRANK SMITH"S CUSTOMER SERVICE...... i got free labor free BME pistons/rings/pins/locks/head gasket........ all i had to pay was machine shop........ and a free re-tune on top of it all.....................even though it wasnt his fault........

as for dasher........i understand what happened to you and i would have been more upset.....im like 10 minutes away and i get upset when frank takes a few hours to get on it....................... i say you call tem and speak to frank he just got back in from dominican republic........

305-233-8520
Old 05-24-2005, 05:43 AM

Default Re: (miamidamian)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by miamidamian &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">..the rod bushing for the wrist-pin was for some reason slightly sanded to ease the wrist-pin in......eventualy the wrist-pin/rod bushing tapered forcing the piston to want to push towards one side..................and rub agaist the wall.......its not a tunning issue and so happens to be in cyl 4..... the least likely to ever break.......
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yikes, what kind of engine builder sands down a rod bushing to squeeze in a wrist-pin?

I'm glad I built my engine myself and triple checked all my tolerances with micrometers and my dial bore gauge.
Old 05-24-2005, 06:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (D@nnY)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by D@nnY &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

What about the 350z on 7 psi that snapped a rod dave? or the white hatch sitting outside ...the owner of which is a good guy who had frank blow his motor a matter of months ago . We dont make this stuff up man...ohh I have your car on tape from the track friday. at least the run that was directly behind josh. If you need the video let him know he has it </TD></TR></TABLE>

if u havent noticed every boosted 350z breaks rods.....
Old 05-24-2005, 06:15 AM

Default Re: (Gravy)

im gonna just subscribe to this one. Yes just about every 350z/g35 breaks a rod when boosted
Old 05-24-2005, 06:48 AM
B A N N E D

Default Re: Hondata dealer/tuner support is dead / SFP (dasher)

dasher.....sfp sucks ***** bro hit up (turbogixxer) on honda-tech i hear he is the man i will soon find out....sfp took 160 dollers of mine after they put a fucked up map in my car and wouldnt refund me my money ever since them i got nothing good to say about frank or that ***** at the desk phil
Old 05-24-2005, 06:58 AM

Default Re: Hondata dealer/tuner support is dead / SFP (brandond)

he editied

Modified by Phil@gotwheels at 8:19 AM 5/24/2005
Old 05-24-2005, 07:06 AM
B A N N E D

Default Re: Hondata dealer/tuner support is dead / SFP (Phil@gotwheels)

no frank and sfp sucks all together bad business and organization but phil is ok hes jsut the middle man....but i guess he doesnt work there anymore....good for u
Old 05-24-2005, 09:06 AM

Default Re: Hondata dealer/tuner support is dead / SFP (brandond)

Even though I am no longer employed there I apologize for the events that took place.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:13 AM

Default Re: (Gravy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Gravy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if u havent noticed every boosted 350z breaks rods.....</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not every 350Z, but quite a few of them. Most have been due to detonation due to a POOR TUNE and not pulling any or enough timing. Never seen one blow because it was reved too high. The only way I know of to even get the rev limiter changed is with a reflash performed by Altered Atmosphere or Technosquare. There is also speculation that part of the problem with some blown engines is an unshielded crank angle sensor that is getting bad readings and causing timing problems.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (King Tut33)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by King Tut33 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Not every 350Z, but quite a few of them. Most have been due to detonation due to a POOR TUNE and not pulling any or enough timing. Never seen one blow because it was reved too high. The only way I know of to even get the rev limiter changed is with a reflash performed by Altered Atmosphere or Technosquare. There is also speculation that part of the problem with some blown engines is an unshielded crank angle sensor that is getting bad readings and causing timing problems.</TD></TR></TABLE>

BS

I read up pleanty on VQ's before I bought the T/A, seems like 3 out of 5 of them are snapping rods or poping motors when boosted, mind you this is representative of all VQ's accross North America.. so don't even try passing that BS off here.

Old 05-24-2005, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by King Tut33 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Altered Atmosphere .</TD></TR></TABLE>

what ever happend to AA?, i havent seen or heard anything from them in awhile.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:30 AM

Default Re: (VTC_CiViC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VTC_CiViC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

BS

I read up pleanty on VQ's before I bought the T/A, seems like 3 out of 5 of them are snapping rods or poping motors when boosted, mind you this is representative of all VQ's accross North America.. so don't even try passing that BS off here.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I didn't deny it hasn't happened. You are the one talking BS saying 3 out of 5. Where are you reading that? You talking about original Greddy users who used the blue box but couldn't hook up the ignition harness cause it would burn up coils and so thus pulled NO TIMING. Things have changed, educate yourself. I'm not going to say the VQ35DE is a great motor for boost. I don't even feel there is a reliable form of boost out there right now which is why I will not be boosting my 350Z, but don't come on here saying every 3 out of 5 350Zs blow their engines on boost.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:31 AM

Default Re: (Dturbocivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dturbocivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

what ever happend to AA?, i havent seen or heard anything from them in awhile. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I didn't know anything happened to them. They are very active on MY350Z.com and I recently purchased their intake manifold spacer from a huge 60+ person group buy.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree, 3 out of 5 is a bit ridiculous. Detonation is what is breaking rods, so it all comes down to the tune.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:38 AM

Default Re: (tony1)

most people who boost there Z know the risks of boosting a high comp motor lets leave it at that.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:43 AM

Default Re: (dasher)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dasher &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Its good to know, but a little too late unfortunately. You can't expect a first time customer to be familiar with all their inter-office politics.

It is quite possible that this is all of Paul's fault and not Franks. Frank is ultimately responsible however because he is the one who should train or fire his employees if they do not meet his expectations and from the sound of it, this isn't an isolated case of Paul exhibiting horrible customer care.

Hopefully Frank will wise-up and fire Paul if he is the one responsible for dragging his business into the ground. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i understand you dont know the people there but comon sense tells me "if i booked with the owner/tuner n hes not here....maybe i should talk to him n not this queer looking kid at the front desk"

call frank see what he says
Old 05-24-2005, 11:35 AM
B A N N E D

Default Re: (civicflnum1)

pauls a dick lets leave it at that...no manners....or personality and he only told u want u wanted to hear...horrible business im never going back there again....
Old 05-24-2005, 11:52 AM

Default Re: (brandond)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by brandond &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">pauls a dick lets leave it at that...no manners....or personality and he only told u want u wanted to hear...horrible business im never going back there again....</TD></TR></TABLE>

tehehehe i love when people call paul a dick cause its sooooo true. to the thread starter.....call frank n bitch n see what u get
Old 05-24-2005, 12:15 PM

Default Re: Hondata dealer/tuner support is dead / SFP (Phil@gotwheels)

i wish frank would understand that loosing phil over paul wasnt the right choice....i use to hate sfp but phil turned it around and now that hes gone i see it going back to the way it use to be.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:40 PM

str8 up the WORST THIN FRANK EVERR DID was GET RID OF PHIL...........that guy PAUL is a str8 up ******* ******** with an attitude like he has his head up his ****** *** ALL THE TIME.....YES Phil was making SFP name come back again and helping them get back on the map but then FRANK made an IDIOT's decision and got rid of the good guy over the ********** that swings off his ***** yet has no manners nor customer service experience.........

good luck at ur new place PHIL im sure Frnk regrets everything right now s im typing.....
Old 05-24-2005, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well phil tried really hard to get the sfp name clean..........
Old 05-24-2005, 02:31 PM

Default Re: (nos51)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nos51 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well phil tried really hard to get the sfp name clean..........</TD></TR></TABLE>

I honestly don't know any of the guys from SFP, but from what I have "heard" and seen is that Phil did try very hard to clean the shop up and give it a better name than what it had, but there is just so much that someone can do to try and fix a shop/business reputation. Once a business gets a bad wrap for whatever reason it is really hard to get customer's back, and just when you think you're getting back on the right track something else happens, and you're back to square one. It is unforunate for Frank and SFP because they lost probably the best thing that they had going for them and that was Phil. Without good customer service a shop will never last. But that's Frank's problem and his own mistake. Good luck to Dasher and Phil in the future.

Quick Reply: My expriences with SFP & Hondata