Notices

my dilemma, thread only for well known Hondawhores!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2001, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my dilemma, thread only for well known Hondawhores!

I have a problem. I want to boost more and there for I must lower the compression. The easiest way is to go with a thicker head gasket. This is where my problems will start. I think once the head is lift (which is major work) I can do a rebuilt on my engine (rods, pistons, valves.....) because all things I can do at once. Well.... this is my dilemma. What should I do?

The differnt stages which I have in mind:

stage 1: ENDYN 8psi stepper pulley and donīt care about the 11:1 CR

stage 2: ENDYN 8psi stepper pulley, raising redline to +/- 9200rpm

stage 3: boost 10-12psi (maybe 14psi) lower compression pistons (should fit into the stock bore??), rods, valve springs, retainers.......

Question 1: Since the intake air get realy hot do you recommend a water injection on a daily driven car?

Question 2: 8psi good on an engine with 11:1 CR?

Question 3: When raising the redline from stock 8400rpm to about 9200rpm do I need stronger valve springs, valves and retainers? Please, fill me in what parts are realy necessary and why? (I want to learn something)

Question(s) 4: !The kick *** tuning! Boosting up to 14psi with the JRSC - what to do to prevent blower and engine damage? What brand rods and pistons? I donīt want to bore out the cylinder walls to make aftermarkt pistons fit. IMO lower compression pistons should fit into the stock bore size, correct? CR down to 10:1 or 9.5:1?

I know I need rods, pistons, valves + springs, retainers....what engine internals else? Do I need bigger injectors, stronger fuel pump and a standalone ECU like Hondata?

last dyno numbers: 234 crank hp (193.5 whp) I added 53 hp from stock.

My project depends on the costs, so I would realy like, when you can show me the prices for the cheaper steps and the all out step 3.

Thanks to everyone, who had good answers and comments to all my questions

BTW: Iīve heard rumors about an intercooler developed by Jackson Recing, perhaps available early next year! That would put the water injection out of mind!
Old 08-03-2001, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: my dilemma, thread only for well known Hondawhores! (austrian ITR)

The thing about raising the boost on a JRSC is that as you go higher you will get less gains per pound of boost. The additional heat keeps robbing more of the power you are trying to generate. Add to this fact that if you lower compression you will LOSE power. The reason why lowering compression is normally done on high boost applications is that the additional boost more than makes up for the lowered compression.

I personally think you would be wiser to get some headwork done, keep stock compression, and up the boost to 10 psi. I don't know how available engine management is in Austria, or how expensive it would be to import it if you had to, but that would be a very nice investment as well.
Old 08-03-2001, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: my dilemma, thread only for well known Hondawhores! (austrian ITR)

There are a couple of jrsc'd ITR's running 8psi with the stepper pulley and they only have upgraded injectors and water injection cooling. I'm not a fan of water injection for daily driving b/c water adds extra stress to your engine, and it's a pain keeping the water tank full.

A less dramatic alternative is the CRV crank pulley. It would yield maybe 6.5-7 psi of boost on the ITR, which your engine could probably handle without water injection.

Have you considered keeping stock boost and only raising your rev limiter? My dyno charts show that there's more power to be had if I raise my redline. You will need to upgrade your valve springs and retainers so that your valves don't float. This is the next engine mod that I would pursue next.