Notices

My demise, a nice set of melted pistons, and a trashed block.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My demise, a nice set of melted pistons, and a trashed block.

Car started pushin coolant last week, so I figured I lifted the head and/or popped a headgasket. Did some testing, and decided to pull the head off, got the head off, looked at the gasket, it was fine. Looked over at the car, and instantly thought, OH expletive, cracked sleeve or fucked pistons. It ended up bein trashed pistons. Was usin cp's and and thanks to the tuner, I now have a nice set of melted cp's, all 4 of em, lol. O well, it happens. I've gotten much wiser this time around. It was my first time out on a boosted honda, so now my 350whp sohc civic is down for the count with the slugs removed. I've decided to part out, and am doin a gsr swap, and boostin it for the time being. Till I can build it up. Just thought i'd share the story with ya guys.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: My demise, a nice set of melted pistons, and a trashed block. (singleslammer)

****, it couldn't have been the pistons, CP ftw. It *had* to have been the t00ner's fault, right? /sarcasm

I'd say do a quick 76mm bore and slap oversized vitaras in there, then run 300whp til you get the gizzer.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: My demise, a nice set of melted pistons, and a trashed block. (singleslammer)

pics?
Old 09-01-2007, 11:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My demise, a nice set of melted pistons, and a trashed block. (SOHC_MShue)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC_MShue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">pics?</TD></TR></TABLE>

He's gonna get them tomorrow.

Sorry dude, I was really hoping it was the headgasket for your sake.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:32 PM

Default Re: My demise, a nice set of melted pistons, and a trashed block. (SovXietday)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SovXietday &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">He's gonna get them tomorrow.

Sorry dude, I was really hoping it was the headgasket for your sake. </TD></TR></TABLE>You and me both man, oh well, can't dwell on it too long, it happens. I had to decide, a buddy called me and said he heard bout it, has a gsr swap sittin around, sell it to me cheap, to get me back out on the road, gonna toss some boost toward it, and see what happens, I got ahold of one of the best tuners in the country, so, I think we got it under control this time.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:58 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HiProfile &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">****, it couldn't have been the pistons, CP ftw. It *had* to have been the t00ner's fault, right? /sarcasm

I'd say do a quick 76mm bore and slap oversized vitaras in there, then run 300whp til you get the gizzer.</TD></TR></TABLE>Thought about it, but that thing got hot enough long enough, and many enough times to melt pistons, so the cylinders are prolly fucked. Have an extra block, but am kinda shaken up by the whole thing, it just sucks, relyin on someone to put a tune on your car, that you drive everyday, and now, im faced with this problem. It kinda makes ya wanna give up, I don't want to, but what do you do about this ya know? Not exactly a good problem to be faced with, but, i'm sure i'll figure somethin out, thanks for the advice man.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Why was it getting hot? You probably did blow a headgasket, then started running hot, kept beating on it, with previous tune, and then trashed pistons. If you don't like trusting someone then learn to tune yourself. It's not hard, and wide bands are cheap nowadays.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:13 AM

Nope, headgasket was perfectly fine, wasn't blown out in one spot, wasn't sunk, blown, nothin. It was detonation induced pre-ignition, prolly caused by too aggressive full boost timing.
Old 09-02-2007, 03:59 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Default Re: (singleslammer)

it has to be hot as hell to melt 4 forged pistons.
Old 09-02-2007, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you're positive it was the tuner's fault post your fuel and ignition maps. Did you have a wideband in the car? I'm very curious to see what melted four pistons. What fuel injectors were you running? What fuel pump?
Old 09-02-2007, 09:49 PM

I am positive that it was the tuner, my fuel and ignition maps are on my buddy's laptop, I will post them, we been lookin at them and the full boost timing was way too aggressive. Ever since the day on the dyno the car has been actin extremely wierd, I was seein detonation on the plugs, but he wouldn't listen. I am just some dumbass kid who doesn't know what he's talkin about, but I know I won't step foot in that place again.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:52 PM

Default Re: (boostedcivicsir)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by alpha &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you're positive it was the tuner's fault post your fuel and ignition maps. Did you have a wideband in the car? I'm very curious to see what melted four pistons. What fuel injectors were you running? What fuel pump?</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostedcivicsir &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it has to be hot as hell to melt 4 forged pistons.</TD></TR></TABLE>Yes, I had a wideband in the car, and the afr's were gettin a little scary for me. I was hittin around 12.0:1 or a little higher at times on high boost. Way too lean, but eh, what do I know.

Trust me, it was hot, hot enough to boil coolant at times.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hmm..dont wanna sound like an ******* but if you claim the car was acting weird and if you claim it has been hot many times...why keep driving it? Or why not try to get it retuned or something man? I feel bad for your loss, but you kinda put this one on your self if you saw these signs and kept going.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TehGhett0P1mp)

I'd at least post up who the Tuner was... when you post up the maps.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Damn that sucks... glad your making a come back though.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Depending upon the load point (transition, 1lb - 8lbs) 12.5:1 - 12:1 usually isn't lean enough to melt four pistons unless something else is wrong. That's why I am interested in the fuel and ignition timing maps. And maybe hearing the tuner's side. There is always three sides to every story. Post up the maps and maybe send the injectors out to get tested
Old 09-03-2007, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (alpha)

How much fuel was in the gas tank is also an issue. Fuel starvation kills boosted motors... It's like leaning out all your injectors at once...
Old 09-03-2007, 06:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

12.5:1 will not melt pistons unless it's running like that at big power for a while. Then again, is the a/f meter accurate? With so many crappy a/f meters on the market now days, you never really know...
Old 09-03-2007, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what was your total timing? even if your timing was agressive, it would just lift your head under full boost and then almost immediately overheat. sounds like you drove around on it with it overheating or the motor was incorrectly assembled.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mike93eh2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike93eh2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what was your total timing? even if your timing was agressive, it would just lift your head under full boost and then almost immediately overheat. sounds like you drove around on it with it overheating or the motor was incorrectly assembled.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Too much timing will melt pistons, beat up rod bearings, kill headgaskets, etc.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tony1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tony1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Too much timing will melt pistons, beat up rod bearings, kill headgaskets, etc. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yea but i think there is more to it than just too much timing.. he's not telling us something. i mean come on all 4 CP pistons melted..

post the maps
Old 09-03-2007, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mike93eh2)

Too much timing will do it in a heartbeat...
Old 09-03-2007, 11:58 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike93eh2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what was your total timing? even if your timing was agressive, it would just lift your head under full boost and then almost immediately overheat. sounds like you drove around on it with it overheating or the motor was incorrectly assembled.</TD></TR></TABLE>The head did NOT lift, the studs were torqued to 75 ft. lbs, and thats what they were torqued to when I took the head off, I checked everything. The headgasket was fine, it was a fel-pro permatorque mls. I was gettin in between 12.0 and 13.0 afr's under full load at 15psi. It has been that way since I drove it off that day on the dyno. They have been torched since that day, I guarantee it. Here is the whole story.

I had it street tuned by a guy who is very reputable around my area. It ran great, plugs looked very good, a little rich, but better safe than sorry. Then one day out of the blue it started getting this horrible miss. I checked everything, headstuds, plug gap, timing, retarded 1.5* per psi, all that. Everything was fine. So, it gave me a reason to get it to the dyno, pay the money and have a safe tune, or so I thought. The injectors were tested again at RC, and came back fine, they are 550's. While it was on the dyno, he couldn't figure out why the timing was jumpin around so bad. The very same problem I couldn't figure out, stumped the tuner also. 4 hours into it, we found out what it was, the screw fell out of the rotor button. He had taken a ton of timing out of it hoping to clear it up. It got better, but would still miss under full load with high boost. He started adding timing, would make a pull, then add more timing. He made 15 pulls on the dyno, tell me that somethin isn't wrong with that. I've had the maps looked at by the guy who street tuned it, he was supposed to dyno tune it also, but was out of town that week, so I had no other option. Full boost timing is way, way too aggressive. I won't give out the name of the shop, I don't work that way. The guy who put the street tune on it has talked to them, but nothing will come of it. I will post up the maps, they are on my girlfriends laptop, and she's at school almost everyday. I even have some vids of how bad it was missing because it was lean misfire. I will post up the maps, then tell me it wasn't tune related. Just trust me, once you see them, you'll understand, the one piston that wasn't totally melted was starting to burn right through the top of it. There wasn't enough gas and the timing was too aggressive on the tune.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:05 PM

By the way, it was tuned on 93 octane, and never ran low on gas, walbro 255 pump, rc550's, nothing is bad on the fuel side, except for what the computer tells it to do.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

13:1 afr in boost isn't going to cause a lean misfire. That could have just been ignition related.

Quick Reply: My demise, a nice set of melted pistons, and a trashed block.