Notices

My boosted ls/vtec valve destruction, tell me what you think, pics inside.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My boosted ls/vtec valve destruction, tell me what you think, pics inside.

Whats up guys, well to make a long story short I got to run my new 84mm build twice before one of my stainless valves broke and caused this damage. The valve broke right at the keepers, the head of it is still in the retainer. Here is a shot of the piston and chamber of No.3 cyl (culprit)

So with further evaluation No.4 cylinder looked awful because apparently pieces of the valve guide went through the intake manifold into this cylinder. When I set the head down there were little chunks of metal stuck to it that simply fell off when I touched it.

Looks like No.2 got a few pieces as well.

And No.1 I guess escaped the carnage, the piston looked beautiful and here is a shot of the chamber.

Let me know what you guys think about all of this lovely stuff. No.2, 3, and 4 cyl's all have a couple tiny scratches in the cylinders but nothing a quick bead hone couldn't smooth over. Since I only have about 2 hours on this build I am thinking of trying to smooth the spots on the pistons and head for a fix, what are the downs to that? That is my biggest concern. I will then re ring it and try to get at least 1/2 a season in, lol. Opinions and suggestions please.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My boosted ls/vtec valve destruction, tell me what you think, pics inside. (Ntense90crxsi)

man that sucks but my pistons were way worse, you had too much rpm huh?..I'd do what you say and smooth out some of the damage and run with it for the season..honestly it doesn't look to bad
Old 01-04-2007, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My boosted ls/vtec valve destruction, tell me what you think, pics inside. (Redwidow)

Actually that is what burns my ***, I was just breaking this thing in and ran it up to about 6 or 7k a few times on 14psi. I plan on reving this thing to about 9k when its all said and done but now I am iffy about these valves. I am wondering if I should just get one and fix it or get all new ones. So you have ran worse looking pistons before without any probs?
Old 01-04-2007, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My boosted ls/vtec valve destruction, tell me what you think, pics inside. (Ntense90crxsi)

Also that valve was a pain to get out and the guide looked pretty bad, what are the chances of not being able to put a new guide in?
Old 01-04-2007, 08:47 PM

random break? I dunno....I have always used stock valves; the one time I didn't, this happened.

GL.....
Old 01-04-2007, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My boosted ls/vtec valve destruction, tell me what you think, pics inside. (Tuesday Club)

Pretty bad when you downgrade to stainless steel valves from stock, lol.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what brand valves?
Old 01-04-2007, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah what brand ?? and chances are it should not be a huge problem to replace the guide , but by the looks of the steam that guide is fucked
Old 01-04-2007, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dunkd)

I bought them from the machine shop that was doing the head, I will find out. The company had factory or stainless so of course I opted for those. I guess I should of stuck with stockers.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:37 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (Ntense90crxsi)

what kind of pistons are those?
Old 01-04-2007, 09:47 PM
Global Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ntense90crxsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I bought them from the machine shop that was doing the head, I will find out. The company had factory or stainless so of course I opted for those. I guess I should of stuck with stockers. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I wouldn't reccomend stock valves revving to 9,000 rpms.. also most likely your gonna need a new guide.. Goodluck
Old 01-04-2007, 09:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Jimmy)

IMHO, you got off pretty easy. Not very often you see a valve drop/fail and not completely trash the head.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (leed)

There weisco's
Old 01-05-2007, 06:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (Jimmy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jimmy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I wouldn't reccomend stock valves revving to 9,000 rpms.. also most likely your gonna need a new guide.. Goodluck </TD></TR></TABLE>

Why not? The valves will work just fine up there accompanied by a good set of springs.

That valve might have broke from excessive spring pressure. What springs are you using with those valves?
Old 01-05-2007, 08:15 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ntense90crxsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There weisco's</TD></TR></TABLE>

he said he put wiseco valves in your engine? maybe pistons, but correct me if im wrong wiseco doesnt make valves.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (zeimbo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zeimbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what kind of pistons are those?</TD></TR></TABLE>

That is who I was answering and yes they have high rate springs, I believe the springs are HP's???? Those also came from the machine shop.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So should I just get one valve and give this company a 2nd chance or not?
Old 01-05-2007, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i feel your pain man... i had a ferrea valve drop on me, seperated where the head met the stem, never will use aftermarket valves again.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turbotime)

I think just for the sake of no time on this build I will just get one valve, fix the guide and roll with it for now. I am just hoping the cylinders smooth over ok. I found a couple good deals on gsr heads but then I will have to do another intake manifold.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a obd1 gsr intake manifold if you need, pm me
Old 01-05-2007, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thats cool, I would have to change my brand new charge piping as well though, lol. Why can't I just bolt up my type r mani and be done, damn the gsr heads to hell!!! They just had to be different, lol.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well eric i guess thats pretty craptastic but also i guess it could have been alot worse. It just sucks all the bad luck and down time the past 2 years. I'd be kinda weiry about using the same valves too. Not saying the brand is **** because god knows "in toby we trust" but it would suck if you somehow got a defective "set" and had to go through this again. It might seem like a waste and a lil to cautious but i'd change them all. Thats just me though.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:12 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbotime &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i feel your pain man... i had a ferrea valve drop on me, seperated where the head met the stem, never will use aftermarket valves again.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Tell me about it... My B16 just went kaboom a few days ago after a few hours of use . To think that I was going to boost it ... Well, time to apply for another loan .
Old 01-07-2007, 10:10 PM

Default Re: (JDMister_EF9)

Haha,Im doing everything throught Credit

Question,so im sure that there are many that have
"Aftermarket" Valves and have had no problem,but after going through
this thread i see many say stick to stock!
So is this pretty common to happen with non stock valves??
I have a B16 and im gathering all the parts i need to boost and was looking
at Ferrera Valves!
Do you guys think i should stick with the stock Valves??
I dont plan on hitting 9k rpms!
Old 01-07-2007, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (JWjDM)

if you get a gsr head. just get an aftermarket intake manifold. it will basicly sit in the same spot as the current one

Quick Reply: My boosted ls/vtec valve destruction, tell me what you think, pics inside.