Notices

msd or stock ignition??

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 05:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default msd or stock ignition??

we dyno one of our cars with the msd and without it and we didnt see any loss or gain of hp, have anybody here seen any difference with the msd?? please share!!
Old 06-28-2007, 06:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Only differnce I've ever seen with MSD was having more issues, weather it was the coil or the actual unit causing too much spark and burning up the distributor wires causing the ignition fuse to blow!

I had no gain hp wise on the dyno with and without MSD Ignition.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (djtrini)

You dont gain any hp by using an msd ignition. It allows you better spark so your not breaking up on high HP setups. At least thats what its suppose to do. Msd ignition systems can really be a headache sometimes. Use your stock ignition setup until it starts to break up and if you must then switch. Most cars are fine with the stock setup.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:01 PM

Default Re: (hotimportcrx)

man great info you making a lot of sense there!!
Old 07-07-2007, 09:49 PM

Default Re: (allhonda)

ok this may sound very stupid but isnt or should i say dosent a MSD ignition change the way your car revs? like a vroom vroom vroom really fast when u redline? or was i just told wrong info?

god i am prolly gonna get flamed for this
Old 07-07-2007, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Aralliius)

lol vroom not, msd igntion systems are suppose to give your igntion system more spark. Like the msd blaster coil im using now on my integra it gives 42,000 instead of the stock 22,000. Its a more powerful coil.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:25 PM

Default Re: (almostboostedgsr)

if oyu dont have anything to amplified the spark the blaster coil you have is doing the same thing that the stock coil was doing. you need the msd box to change the intensity of the spark
Old 07-10-2007, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Destroying turbo ITR motors in Minneapolis, MN, U.S.A.

Run an OEM ignition setup.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. FYI, 600whp+ has been made on STOCK components.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:31 PM
ej8
Honda-Tech Member

All it does is make your car less reliable. I have seen way too many MSD related failures, and personally had a MSD coil go bad on me leaving me stranded. Even if I ever needed to upgrade I would not use MSD, other than their sparkplug wires.

The OE honda ignitions systems are VERY accurate, VERY reliable and plenty for 99% of setups
Old 07-11-2007, 04:40 AM

Default Re: (ej8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ej8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">All it does is make your car less reliable. I have seen way too many MSD related failures, and personally had a MSD coil go bad on me leaving me stranded. Even if I ever needed to upgrade I would not use MSD, other than their sparkplug wires.

The OE honda ignitions systems are VERY accurate, VERY reliable and plenty for 99% of setups </TD></TR></TABLE>

msd wires, not even!!!!!! we were having problems with one of our cars, the spark was cutting out as soon as we try to go into full boost, oh we change everything on that car looking for that problem, we looked everywhere and we are certified mechanics, then somebody said change the msd wires they crap, switch to ngk wires and problem done!!!
Old 07-11-2007, 04:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

We have sent more MSD boxes and widgets home in the trunk of the customers cars than I can remember.
I like OEM all the way , after 450 I run an extrenal coil. That's it. OEM.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:35 PM
ej8
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CRVRX)

What kind of coil? I tried using a blaster SS on my civic and it got burned up quick, piece of crap. Figured someone has to make a coil that isnt total crap
Old 07-12-2007, 11:18 PM
i ♥ snails

yeah its a hit or miss situation, maybe those msd coil's just dont have enough resistance and there straining the rest of your ignition system. I dont know a whole lot about ignition systems but my rule of thumb when it comes to motorcycles is this, if the ignition system requires a 3 ohm coil dont go below 3 ohms because it will start ruining other components, going higher usually wont hurt.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: (quicksilver1689)

I ran a msd digital 6plus on my turbo setup mainly because i wanted an ignition cut rev limiter and ignition cut two step which the digital 6plus did very well. Had no problems with it always worked fine. But if you dont need/want those features it just wasted money IMO - just complicates things and another thing to break with msd seems to do alot. But me ive never had a msd break and have been using one for 6-7 years.

liam
Old 07-13-2007, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (liam821)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by liam821 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I ran a msd digital 6plus on my turbo setup mainly because i wanted an ignition cut rev limiter and ignition cut two step which the digital 6plus did very well. Had no problems with it always worked fine. But if you dont need/want those features it just wasted money IMO - just complicates things and another thing to break with msd seems to do alot. But me ive never had a msd break and have been using one for 6-7 years.

liam</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ignition cut is now available in the stock Honduh ECU, making MSD a complete waste of money.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: (Joseph Davis)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Joseph Davis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Ignition cut is now available in the stock Honduh ECU, making MSD a complete waste of money. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Its not available with the Neptune as far as i know..which is the ecu i run. Not to mention having a little dial i can change the rpm for both rev limiter and 2 step without having to hookup a laptop is great. Its nice to be able to change per 100rpms the two step to suit different track conditions.

Either way, i love my msd and havent had a problem with it -why would i want to replace it?

liam
Old 07-13-2007, 10:27 AM

So having a blaster coil with no type of aftermarket ignition is simply a waste of money?
Old 07-13-2007, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (96vtecI4)

I hear that, Liam. The end-user should be able to adjust launch revs on the fly.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 96vtecI4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So having a blaster coil with no type of aftermarket ignition is simply a waste of money?</TD></TR></TABLE>

You need reading comprehension, no one here has said anything of the sort.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:33 PM

No trust me I don't. I just wanted to reiterate that fact.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You reiterate facts in the form of questions?

I'd say that confirms your grasp of the english language, and therefore your reading comprehension, is flawed.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:24 PM

Reiterating facts through questions is done all the time. Most educated people know that. Asking a question that everyone may be wondering about is never a bad thing for searching purposes. Relax there big guy, if you want to have a spelling bee contact your local middle school.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for identifying yourself as an idiot, because the fact you reiterated as a question was complete crap and contrary to multiple people in this thread with a lot more experience than you'll ever accrue. Now I, and others, know enough about you to simply ignore everything that comes out of your mouth.

Seriously, we can not thank you enough.

Old 07-13-2007, 08:53 PM

Thanks for the intelligent comments that continue to flow out of your mouth. Your a blessing to this board and the honda world in general. You've taught me so much about forced induction and english. I am truly blessed to have encounterd a man of your intelligence. Oh hey what does accure mean? do you mean aquire? Your english skills continue to astound me...as does your knowledge of FI.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:06 AM
ej8
Honda-Tech Member

Welcome to the world of honda-tech, people just like to bitch - more than they like to give useful information IM THE SPELLING BEE MASTERRRRRRRRRRRRR

Yes, you can use an aftermarket coil with the stock honda ignition system. I would like to know what everyone is using with good luck because I had a blaster SS fail on me. Not to say it wasn't a fluke, but the amount of complaints of MSD products failing (and not only on Honda), and my/friends experiences I just don't want their crap on my car
Old 07-14-2007, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Joseph Davis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks for identifying yourself as an idiot, because the fact you reiterated as a question was complete crap and contrary to multiple people in this thread with a lot more experience than you'll ever accrue.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 96vtecI4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Oh hey what does accure mean? do you mean aquire? </TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL

Quick Reply: msd or stock ignition??