Notices

Moving to the dark side, any suggestions for my B18C1?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving to the dark side, any suggestions for my B18C1?

So its pretty much come to this: I'm bored wtih my stock GS-R with intake and exhaust and want to move on to some serious power gains. Can you guys suggest a good beginner turbo kit that will bolt on to my B18C1? My engine has about 140k miles on it and don't want to push it too hard. I was looking at the Drag turbo kits, they seem pretty basic and look like they would be easy to install but how is the quality? I was also checking out full race's line of kits but they seem kind of pricey... any suggestions? Thanks!
Old 08-10-2006, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Moving to the dark side, any suggestions for my B18C1? (numotive)

http://www.turbokits.com

I'd suggest the Turbonetics FMAX kit. It's very simple, works well, and bolts right in. Comes with abolutely everything you need and a great price as well.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:55 AM

Default Re: Moving to the dark side, any suggestions for my B18C1? (QuarterMileMaster)

Ah i see that comes with a T3/T04 turbo. Do you know of any kits that come with a quicker spooling turbo, such as the GT28RS?
Old 08-10-2006, 08:04 AM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

choose kit or pieces wisely, and above all, get some management. dont rely on secondary injectors, or fmu's.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:07 AM

Default Re: Moving to the dark side, any suggestions for my B18C1? (boostedcivicsir)

Should i get a kit with a cast steel manifold, or a tubular one? Will this make a big difference?
Old 08-10-2006, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, to answer your first question, they offer a ball bearing turbo upgrade if you look to the side options. And you know what? I need to know how much money you're wanting/able to spend.... ?

And if you want the best turbo kit (IMO) out right now, get this one if you have the cash to spend. It comes with a BB turbo and you can get it without the management and just get a local tuner to set you up with neptune or chrome for alot cheaper to save some $$$$.
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1708258

And tubular would give you better performance btw.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:44 AM

Default Re: Moving to the dark side, any suggestions for my B18C1? (QuarterMileMaster)

that looks like a nice kit, but will it fit on a DC2 chasis?
Old 08-10-2006, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Before you decide on a kit, due a compression and leakdown test on your motor. With that mileage you should make sure the motor is running well before making plans, go from there.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:58 AM

Default Re: Moving to the dark side, any suggestions for my B18C1? (a1320addict)

yeah I was planning on doing that

i was going to go grab a compression tester today, but i guess for the leakdown i'll have to go to a shop.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by numotive &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">that looks like a nice kit, but will it fit on a DC2 chasis?</TD></TR></TABLE>

LoveFab Ultimate Street COMPLETE turbo system; New! « » 10:09 AM 8/1/2006 Reply Edit

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We finally have a complete turbo system ready for the market! Being in this scene for nearly four years, we have yet to officially release a "complete" turbo system for the FWD crowd.
After extensive testing(dyno numbers coming very shortly), the kit has been a huge success; just ask those at the July 10th Gingerman Raceway EF-Honda event(brake pad pics after 30 laps are posted below).
The breakdown:
Exclusive trapdoor style intercooler/charge piping/BOV mounting style allows for compact packaging, short charge piping, and excellent fitment for EG/EK/DC chassis, with Civic style radiator;
NOT AC compatible;
Track abused, straight and road course;
EXCELLENT crack record, just 1 crack in over 500 Mini-me manifolds;
Naturally warrantied IF something happens;
Three GREAT Garrett GT series turbo selections in the same package;
THE most complete bolt-in turbo system ever released!

Although I did notice that this kit isn't a/c compatible but they do have a similar manifold that is a/c compatible, you'd just have to pay a little extra for it.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:33 AM

Ah my bad! Not AC compatable though... but then again my AC doesn't work anymore anyway
Old 08-10-2006, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by numotive &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ah my bad! Not AC compatable though... but then again my AC doesn't work anymore anyway </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, like I said they could substitute their a/c compatible mani for a little extra I'm sure but since your a/c doesn't work and you don't wanna fix it, rip that crap out, save some weight and kit this awesome kit!
Old 08-10-2006, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

do lots of reading...

you can piece together a nice setup pretty cheap using the suppliers here on honda tech

welcome to the darkside.... you'll love it... and wont go back...
Old 08-10-2006, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Moving to the dark side, any suggestions for my B18C1? (Topdawgg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Topdawgg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do lots of reading...

you can piece together a nice setup pretty cheap using the suppliers here on honda tech

welcome to the darkside.... you'll love it... and wont go back... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Piecing together a kit is cheaper typically. BUT NOT IN THIS CASE. You can't beat the Lovefab kit. If you try and piece a kit together that'd even come close to what they offer, the price goes way over $4,000 (minus ems) and they are only charging $3550 (minus ems), that's easily $450 savings. And my pricing is based on the best prices found here on honda-tech. I know cuz I just got through piecing together my kit. I wish I'd had the chance to buy the lovefab kit but it wasn't out yet. Don't pass up this sweet deal they offer.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:34 PM

What exactly makes the love fab kit better than a cheaper kit? Also, will i have to do any modification to my chasis or block (other than cutting the bumper support to make the intercooler fit) in order to install this kit?

Modified by numotive at 2:04 PM 8/10/2006
Old 08-10-2006, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by numotive
What exactly makes the love fab kit better than a cheaper kit? Also, will i have to do any modification to my chasis or block (other than cutting the bumper support to make the intercooler fit) in order to install this kit?

Modified by numotive at 1:47 PM 8/10/2006
Ok, I'll start with the manifold. The typical cheaper turbo kit will come with a cast iron manifold. These are the lowest form of a turbo manifold with the least amount of performance/flow and prone to crack over just a couple years time sometimes. The manifold that comes with the lovefab kit is what's called a short tubular manifold. This manifold is basically the best type you can get for a street driven vehicle and even preferred by alot of all out racers. The reason is first it's extremely well made with a lifetime warranty (not that you'll need it) because these manifolds are top quality. Also they are of a tubular design which utilizes a merge collector which makes much more efficient use of the exhaust gases to increase flow and spool your turbo up a good amount faster over other types. Also you also have the benefit of equal length runners which will give you optimal power gains over other manifolds and still mantain a streetable setup. That's just the benefits of the manifold it comes with. Now, the charge piping and downpipe that it comes with is also made by the same great company, lovefab. This means that the quaility of these parts as well is unmatched and will never fail you. Also, you get the best of everything there is. You get a tial 38mm wastegate which is far supperior to any turbonetics or other brand wastegate you might have and has been proven time and time again on the street and the drag strip. You also receive the Tial 50mm bov which anybody on honda-tech will tell you is the best performing, highest quality, most dependable bov on the market today. You get a nice sized intercooler that will be good up to pretty much any power goal you'll have (especially using a stock block). The turbo choice is amazing all by itself. The turbos they offer easily go for $1100-1300 by themselves. These turbos are extremely durable and will spool extremely fast due to their ball bearing centers. With the choice of the three you can choose a turbo that will best suit your power goals and perform for you like no other giving you a grin on your face as you get slammed into your seat with a practically lag free turbo setup. As well, these turbos all have good hp ratings which will give you some room to up the boost when you're ready to build your motor. Any other turbo kit I've seen that offers a real ball bearing turbo (not just a replacement center section) costs well over $6,000 and this one is no where near the cost and way better. You also recieve a set of RC 750cc injectors. RC injectors are used by people all over and as dependable of an injector as they come and being 750cc you'll be able to go as high as around 400+ hp with them so again, these would leave you plenty of room to up the boost/power when you're ready. Also, they give you an AEM fuel pressure regulator to fine tune your fuel pressure to get the optimal performance of your fuel system with the also supplied Walbro 255 lph fuel pump which is also a top quality part that will never let you down and used by many professional racers. Like I've said, this kit will give you the power you want and will also be capable of producing even more power when you are ready for it. If the savings alone and the amazing parts these guys are supplying doesn't convince you, the piece of mind that this kit came from a company with unsurpassed customer service and satisfaction matched by no other should leave you with no other choice but to get the lovefab turbo kit.

As far as fitment goes, I know for a fact that Lovefab would not sell a turbo kit that'd require you to hack up your car. Their might be minimal trimming involved, if that, but certainly nothing even worth mentioning except for the bumper support for the intercooler.

And just for the record, I have no affiliation with Lovefab. I just know a good kit when I see one and would like anybody I come across to have the opportunity to have the best turbo kit on the market. Period.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:50 PM

Thanks for the input... from what you've said that sounds like a pretty awesome kit. I really want to do this right the first time and it sounds like getting that kit would be the right way to go.

My car is pretty much stock, other than a tranny swap i did (put a brand new usdm j4d-lsd type-r tranny in), clutch (action 2ks), toda flywheel, and a magnaflow 2.5inch catback exhaust. I'm assuming i should probably swap out my catback for a 3 inch when i go turbo? Other than that I'm pretty much leaving my engine stock for now.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the 2.5 catback is fine... but if u want big power, go with a full 3 inch DP and exhaust
Old 08-10-2006, 05:20 PM

Default Re: (Topdawgg)

Whoops, its actually 2.25", not 2.5"... from what i heard 3 inch is better for turbo? Also, I can pretty much kiss passing smog good bye once i install this kit, right? I live in california...
Old 08-10-2006, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (numotive)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by numotive &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Whoops, its actually 2.25", not 2.5"... from what i heard 3 inch is better for turbo? Also, I can pretty much kiss passing smog good bye once i install this kit, right? I live in california... </TD></TR></TABLE>

2.25 is a little small, it'll work but you'll always benefit (more power/quicker spool)with larger exhaust when it comes to forced induction. If you want to save some $$$$ you can get an e-cutout from DMH. It's basically a valve that opens by a switch that will open the exhaust up right after the downpipe which gives you basically an on/off open downpipe. Some people don't like them but I love the thing and I know several other people that have had theirs for years and no problems. As far as passing smog, I don't think so... But thankfully, I live in Texas.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by numotive &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks for the input... from what you've said that sounds like a pretty awesome kit. I really want to do this right the first time and it sounds like getting that kit would be the right way to go.

My car is pretty much stock, other than a tranny swap i did (put a brand new usdm j4d-lsd type-r tranny in), clutch (action 2ks), toda flywheel, and a magnaflow 2.5inch catback exhaust. I'm assuming i should probably swap out my catback for a 3 inch when i go turbo? Other than that I'm pretty much leaving my engine stock for now.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Trust me, you will not regret getting the lovefab kit. I promise, the quality, price, and completeness is flat out unbeatable. Very nice choice on the tranny by the way, that will make the turbo kit that much more fun. And you'll definately get good use out of that LSD with the awesome power you're going to be delivering with this kit. I also have an action clutch except mine is a 2md. Like I said before, I'd recommend getting the kit without the AEM EMS and getting a local to tune you on Neptune, Hondata, or Crome. WITH A GOOD TUNE you can safely and easily make 300-350 whp on your stock motor. There are tons of guys down here in Houston doing so. A friend of mine has been running 350 whp on his stock GSR (pump gas) for 2.5 years now and not a single problem. Get a good tune and you'll be able to do the same.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:02 PM

Sounds good. Why is it so much more expensive to get the AEM EMS and fuel management from him? Its like over 2 grand more to get the fuel management...

If I get the kit without the engine/fuel management, what else am I going to need to get? Someone on here was trying to sell me a phearable chip... would i need something like that?

I actually have an extra ecu laying around somewhere around here, its a OBD-I p72 chip with an OBD-II to OBD-I conversion harness. My car is an OBD-II (1999 gs-r). I don't know if i could get any use out of it or not... what do you think?
Old 08-10-2006, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by numotive &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sounds good. Why is it so much more expensive to get the AEM EMS and fuel management from him? Its like over 2 grand more to get the fuel management...

If I get the kit without the engine/fuel management, what else am I going to need to get? Someone on here was trying to sell me a phearable chip... would i need something like that?

I actually have an extra ecu laying around somewhere around here, its a OBD-I p72 chip with an OBD-II to OBD-I conversion harness. My car is an OBD-II (1999 gs-r). I don't know if i could get any use out of it or not... what do you think?</TD></TR></TABLE>

AEM EMS is expensive everywhere. That's AEM standard pricing for you, and it also is a little more because they make a base map for you which nobody does. Although the AEM EMS isn't very user friendly and is more used for people that don't have the benefit of all the tuning programs like Honda does (Toyota/Nissan etc...) I highly suggest passing on the AEM EMS. Also forget about that phearable chip. You have a obd 1 p72 and an obd conversion harness which is absolutely perfect for what you need to do. The obd 1 p72 is supported by all the popular tuning softwares such as Hondata, Neptune, and Crome. All you'll have to do is contact a local tuner in your area (search the tuner directory found in the forced induction forum) and they will be able to take care of your tuning needs so you can get your street beast going.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:25 PM

Very nice, I knew that chip would come in handy one of these days...

So... I noticed that it said "Without fuel management, electronics $3550.00". Does this mean that its not going to come with the Walbro fuelpump or AEM FPR or boost control solenoid? What exactly is excluded at the cheaper price?
Old 08-10-2006, 08:40 PM

Also, in your opinion, which turbo do you think would be the best to go with?

Thanks alot for all the help, i really appreciate it!

Quick Reply: Moving to the dark side, any suggestions for my B18C1?