Notices

moving to cali!!! what do i need to change for emissions?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default moving to cali!!! what do i need to change for emissions?!?!

im planing to move from mi to cali, to cold up here. im sure my car wont pass emissions donw in cali, what do i need to change to have chance at passing?? there are no emissions here in mi. here is my set-up:

93 eg 4dr ex

ls-vtec
stock b16 head
stock dual springs
itr cams

stock block bore 20 over
arp studs
je pistons
tuner toys rods
itr oil pump

bullseye 60-1
cast manifold
tial 38mm wg
3" all the way back
vibrant muffler (black)

p28 crome tuned
walbro 255
dsm 450s
msd 6al
b&m fpr

thanks!!
Old 01-15-2009, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: moving to cali!!! what do i need to change for emissions?!?!

I live in CA, sorry but your car will never pass...
Old 01-15-2009, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Pull the motor and sell the shell or throw in a stock single cam before you move. Buy another EG here in cali that will pass smog and then drop in your motor. From what I've heard its too much of a hassle to register an out of state car in cali.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

frankenstein motors=fail. not that they're gonna crack ur engine apart so if u can make it look like a full LS then that will be fine.

if u want an easy way to pass emissions pull the turbo then slap it back on after the smog check. go to a scrap yard and find old parts from salvaged hondas/teggys to replace what you need to for the test then just keep them in your garage for 2 years until its time to do it again.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its not too hard registering an out of state car u just need to make it pass smog.
make sure your LS motor is 1: NOT a JDM and 2: made either the same year as your EG or made after it. (ex: you can have a 95 motor in a 95 or below shell. but you cant have a 95 motor in a 2000 shell)
Old 01-15-2009, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll have to go back to stock exhaust manifold, etc.

Fact of the matter is most of those refs nowadays know what a VTEC head looks like, they've seen enough of them. It won't pass as an LS with it on there. You're going to have a helluva time.

You'll need a P75 ECU to even attempt to pass an LS block at the ref.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by allhonda
im planing to move from mi to cali, to cold up here. im sure my car wont pass emissions donw in cali, what do i need to change to have chance at passing?? there are no emissions here in mi. here is my set-up:

93 eg 4dr ex

ls-vtec
stock b16 head
stock dual springs
itr cams

stock block bore 20 over
arp studs
je pistons
tuner toys rods
itr oil pump

bullseye 60-1
cast manifold
tial 38mm wg
3" all the way back
vibrant muffler (black)

p28 crome tuned
walbro 255
dsm 450s
msd 6al
b&m fpr

thanks!!
Even if you did pass emissions it won't pass visual inspection. Once they see the turbo on there its automatic fail. You'd be better off trying to get an illegal smog, if you have any connections. GL
Old 01-15-2009, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just keep your car registered in MI. have your family buy your plates for you . i know i do it for my cousin who lives in virginia. its not as tough as cali but they still have emissions and inspections. ive done it for him for 4 years and he hasnt had any issues thus far
Old 01-15-2009, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i dont think a ref checks the ECU at all. never checked mine. make sure ur running OBD1
Old 01-15-2009, 01:33 PM
HT White Ops

Originally Posted by xander1100
i dont think a ref checks the ECU at all. never checked mine. make sure ur running OBD1
You bet your sweet buns they check the ECU.

Also, to the young mad who said "make sure its not a JDM motor", thats incorrect. A JDM motor will pass state ref as long as a few changes are made. ECU and intake manifold to name a few. I would just leave the car registered in MI. Otherwise, get an illegal smog.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

got a hook up for an illegal smog by any chance? lol

u actually get ur ECU checked? wow they didnt even check mine. i mean a state ref might but a normal smog check station? as long as you have all your EO stickers and u pass emmissions and ur gas cap is good its a done deal with them.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

damn cali BLOWS, glad i live in the south.............
Old 01-15-2009, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I love indiana.. No stupid emissions. u can run around open header and open DP if u want. cops dont care if u dont have a cat. its a lovely way to go.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:34 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by RedneckRicer
just keep your car registered in MI. have your family buy your plates for you . i know i do it for my cousin who lives in virginia. its not as tough as cali but they still have emissions and inspections. ive done it for him for 4 years and he hasnt had any issues thus far
ABSOLUTELY. I lived in cali for over 4 years, and kept my car registered in MI, full turbo kit and all. My family renewed my tabs and sent them to me in the mail. You can even go through the Michigan DIRECT MAIL UNIT, and have them sent to you that way. As long as your license and registration are still in MI, you can tell them you're down there for the summer (if pulled over) and that you have no intent to stay. No worries about smog or anything else. Otherwise it is complete hell.

You DO need to tell your insurance company that you'll be in cali for a bit, so that if there are any claims there won't be any issues.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Dont think there would be any issue with the Insurance company if you have to file a claim. you should be covered nationwide through your insurance. unless its a smaller local company.

But i would report your modifications.. receipts ect to your insurance company and get some accessory insurance on it.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:59 PM

Well, at the same time, his insurance rate is based upon the statistical information of his residence. If he has relocated and is there more than several months (before policy renewal) and something happens, it could be grounds for a denial in any claims that he may have, receipts or no receipts. After his 6 month policy expires, it is best to let them know. Have a Honda while living in California, is like living in the Lion's Den with the lioness in there with you; She might not bite ya now, but there will be a time where she gets hungry and will look right in your direction as a matter of convenience of a meal.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RedneckRicer
Dont think there would be any issue with the Insurance company if you have to file a claim. you should be covered nationwide through your insurance. unless its a smaller local company.

But i would report your modifications.. receipts ect to your insurance company and get some accessory insurance on it.
I'm not so sure on that one. Michigan has a no-fault law for insurance.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/ci...02_25083_7.pdf

I'm not sure how that works in Cali because Cali determines fault in accidents.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Cali's a bad place to live if u like modifying ur street car!
Old 01-15-2009, 04:10 PM

thanks to everyone for your ideas and coments!!!! im actually a license mechanic here in mi and also have a couple of builds on my belt, however i ask the question because i have no idea how things roll in cali, like i siad from the bigining im sure that my set-up will never pass emission anywhere, but let me ask you guys:

if i get the right exhaust and all the emission components that i need and get and ls head and put it on there, will internal mods affect the smog resolt?

is it possible to make 300hp using all street legal certify parts?

this are the kind things that im trying to find out about, i also though about keeping my registration and insurence here in mi but im planning to go to school over there and i need to be a cali resident, so i have to transfer everything. i also have other questions about suspension, body, lights, and things like that but i dont want to get flame by posting in the wrong forum. i would like to make power and stay legal if is posible!!
Old 01-15-2009, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

legal hondas and going fast don't really go together very well. just get some smog "help" and call it a day. Either that, or sell your swap and put back in the sohc.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:01 AM

so you guys are trying to tell me that theres nobody here thats making power with a fully street legal build??? i guess we need a first!!!!
Old 01-16-2009, 06:58 AM

hahhahah nope. no on here thats fully street legal that is fast

why? because changing the ecu. injectors. cat will all be illegal

you're stuck with a bone stock motor ( plus forged internals they cant trace that)

with stock fuel, upgrades and maybe at best what greddy will give you. which is already a power ceiling of what the motors are fully capable of.

if you put on a blow off valve, you're in violation
fuel pressure regulator violation
blue hoses /silicone hoses violation
upgraded downpipe any variation from a 100% street legal turbo kit. VIOLATION

we pay off smog stations here when we get state ref tickets ( state appointed smog station that looks over the car 100% top to bottom)
we pay the bail so we don't have to go.

In cali, we have PLENTY of fast cars roaming the streets, we just don't give 2 ***** bout smog or the authority and modifications
Old 01-16-2009, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by allhonda
thanks to everyone for your ideas and coments!!!! im actually a license mechanic here in mi and also have a couple of builds on my belt, however i ask the question because i have no idea how things roll in cali, like i siad from the bigining im sure that my set-up will never pass emission anywhere, but let me ask you guys:

if i get the right exhaust and all the emission components that i need and get and ls head and put it on there, will internal mods affect the smog resolt?

is it possible to make 300hp using all street legal certify parts?

this are the kind things that im trying to find out about, i also though about keeping my registration and insurence here in mi but im planning to go to school over there and i need to be a cali resident, so i have to transfer everything. i also have other questions about suspension, body, lights, and things like that but i dont want to get flame by posting in the wrong forum. i would like to make power and stay legal if is posible!!
I understand where you're coming from, but you can simply establish your residency by your new address in california. I do not know where you got the idea that you had to TRANSFER everything. I've lived there for years, and you can still establish two residences, and still be a CITIZEN of the state of michigan. You're making this much more complicated than it really is.

Students only have to worry about residency for the state of california if attempting to get free tuition at the state school (usually). There are many students who go to school in other states and are not true "residents" of the state of the school they are attending.

Street legal for california and over 300whp is VERY difficult, even to pass smog. I don't believe you understand the full gravity of how C.A.R.B and Smog legality work in that state. they look at EVERYTHING, and many aftermarket companies have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars to fit into their requirements; this usually means a loss of power.

I'm simply stating that you may need to work Smarter, than harder at this approach, because in all honesty, going through all of that work, to try and pass smog (which won't happen) every 2 years is just not worth the headache. Obviously you are more than qualified to do it, that's up to you to pursue, but as a Citizen of the state of michigan, and a former Resident of the state of california, I will simply say, its been tried, and has failed.

GL.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:54 AM

well i cant tell you about cali, i never went to school in cali, but here in mi if you are an out of state students you have to pay almost double per credict. now if cali is not like that amen for that. and yes!! the way things are right now, if you want to go to school and better yourself you have to take all the money you can find so ill be shutting for does pell grams and stuff!!!
now the part about passing smog i understand ill keep doing research on that and see what i can find, i think honda tuning did a build that would pass smog i need to find the mag though.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:01 AM

Tuition adjustments are base upon the school. Most publicly state run institutions run higher tuition fees regardless. It wouldn't matter if it were California, or any other state. Again, your residency would be based upon the fact that you pay taxes in that state, not having everything transferred. Good luck on your search, hope you think its worth it. I've done it, it wasn't.

Quick Reply: moving to cali!!! what do i need to change for emissions?!?!