Notices

Motor Goes To RICH Then LEAN

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor Goes To RICH Then LEAN

well this just started last weds, i was coming from getting my slicks mounted and getting ready for Pomona, i leave the tire place, im in first gear not even boosting but kinda high in revs, but anyways, i come to a stop light and i hear something, i hear my exhaust a bit louder than usual, so i turn down my radio and i listen "why is my exhaust louder?" then u feel my car having a rough idle, then i look at my wide band and its PEGGED RICH 10.0, so im like wat the hell is going on here.So i get it home and its still pegged rich like its stuck, then i try wiggling **** around like map,tps, etc,etc. Then it goes back to normal idle and normal A/F which should be around 14-15, so im thinking damn that was weird, so i slap my slicks on to try them out, do a couple burn outs and was in boost, then it happends again, starts bogging and idling rough, look at the gauge again and its pegged at rich. I get out of the car and i look at the exhaust and its just puffing out black smoke (soot), i pop the hood and wiggle the map around and it seems that it went back to normal again, so i thinking ****, the map is going bad, but no codes, so it stays normal till i get to pomona.

So at pomona i do a first pass which was ****, clutch slipped, then get back to the pits and its does it again, pegged rich 10.0 and sometimes it would be so rich that it wouldnt even give a reading. So i had some ppl try to help me out, i put a different map sensor on the throttle body, no go, brand new O2 Sensor, no go, changed out the whole throttle body with a tps on it, still no go, then i just drove back the hotel. So the next day i drive back to the track and its still doing it 10.0 pegged. Then i get CEL, i get to the track and check them, 3 codes, TPS,IAT,and Fuel Supply, i know the fuel supply is from running too rich and ******* the O2 up, the IAT i checked that and it looked fine, we checked the calibration on the tps and it was good, then i found these wires that were just hanging there that i had wired into another sensor for BAR, but they had come loose and were touching each other or grounding out, so i put some tape on then so they wouldnt touch, but mind u they have been like that for a while and no problems. Then i start the car, seems ok 14-15 idle a/f i go into boost seems ok, but its still slowly going down to 12.0 but doesnt drop past 12.0, but it has NEVER gone below 14-15. So im thinking its ok now, i leave Pomona and it starts doing it again, 10.0 PEgged, so i get pissed its not fixed. Then all of a sudden im driving and i cant keep a steady pace driving, 65mph at like 3500, and its straight LEAN, and i mean lean where there is no reading, only way i can keep it out of being lean is getting on the gas, but i just speed up, then try to keep it at a steady pace, LEAN. I can feel the car like chugging like its struggling to keep going while its lean. I get home i check the plugs, PURE WHITE, i check compression of the motor make sure i didnt melt anything, Comp test still good. Now im totally lost, if u can please try to help me, very frusterating.

I have a couple of ideas why it might be messing up...

1. Injectors are staying open (RICH), BUT then why would it go LEAN.

2. The IACV (Idle Air Control Valve) the lil plunger inside and the screens, sticking closed, tricking the ECU that the motor is still cold (throwing a **** load of fuel inside)

Very sorry for it being very long, i just dont have anymore ideas here.

car is tuned on hondata

TIA
Old 10-23-2006, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Motor Goes To RICH Then LEAN (SPNFEDEH)

dang alot of views here
Old 10-23-2006, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had once, where my downpipe was falling off. Basicaly what happend was fresh air was getting into my downpipe, to my o2 sensor. So that was saying lean, so my computer was throwing a **** ton of fuel at it, and my wideband was going rich as can be, like lower then 10. It happened to me as i was heading to the dyno, and they dyno's wideband logged me below 10 the whole time. NOt good for h.p.

I just thought maybe, since you were like my ehxuast got louder.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Motor Goes To RICH Then LEAN (coneheadsracing)

it got louder from the muffler, now the car was doing some other bull **** now, idling low and having a pulsating idle, almost wanting to die. just stays pig rich, but then it will go back to normal idle and a/f by its self. i dont understand, ready to give up on this car, its just some weird **** all together, it was PERFECTLY fine on the way to the tire shop and on the way home thats when it happend, it almost seems like its the TB, but we put on a new TB and it still did it, normal idle then starts going down to 10.0, very odd and wierd how it goes down to pig rich then sometimes it will go back to normal by its self, then slowly starts going rich again
Old 10-23-2006, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 10-23-2006, 11:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 10-24-2006, 12:44 AM
NooB

MAYBE BAD FUEL PUMP.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Motor Goes To RICH Then LEAN (IT'S ME DAVID)

fuel pump primes just perfect, now that i keep thinking about it, seems like the partial throttle tune went to **** for some reason, when im boost it its fine up top, but partial is just **** for some reason, but there has to be something wrong for it to do that, could a fried ecu cause that? wat would u look for on the ecu thats fried? just chard discoloration?
Old 10-24-2006, 10:42 AM

Sounds like a bad FPR.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Motor Goes To RICH Then LEAN (ccivic)

What are you tuned with? Disable the o2 sensor and see if it fixes it. I know you tried a new o2, but you might have some bad wiring or something like that.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Motor Goes To RICH Then LEAN (coneheadsracing)

its on hondata, if i cant figure it out, i guess imma have to tell the tuner to meet me at the dyno, lets just say if i was at the track and i had him hook up the lap top to it, would it should wats making it cause that issue?
Old 10-24-2006, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ecu looks fine
Old 10-24-2006, 01:44 PM

What FPR are you using? Try a different one. My brother's car experienced an extremely similar problem when his FPR failed. Slapped a new one on and it was perfect. Was completely spontaneous, as well.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Motor Goes To RICH Then LEAN (ccivic)

using stock FPR
Old 10-24-2006, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

could a bad cap and rotor cause this? that i kinda highly doubt
Old 10-25-2006, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 10-25-2006, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

SAME exact thing i'm going through right now. Sometimes it's rich, sometimes it goes lean. So when you throttle it does it bogg pretty bad? I tried everything to try and fix my problem, checked all sensors, wiring etc.etc. and still have the same problem. I'm running hondata as well, s300 and that's the only thing i didn't check... i'm waiting until the end of the week to test it on another guys car. But bump it up, so we both can get some more ideas
Old 10-25-2006, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Motor Goes To RICH Then LEAN (theinfamouskonrad)

car doesnt actually bog when i give it gas, but its bogging when its idling, im assuming cause so much fuel, just going to end up taking it back to my tuner tomorrow and have him hook up the lap top, so hopefully we can see where the problem is coming from, do u guys think a tune car go bad? cause it just seems like the partial throttle tune just went to ****, but goes back to normal by its self, WTF!
Old 10-25-2006, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea that would be your best bet. Keep me updated i'd like to hear what actually the problem was... if it's the hondata or not. Btw are you using the s300 or the s200?
Old 10-25-2006, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Motor Goes To RICH Then LEAN (theinfamouskonrad)

using the s200, yea i will keep you posted, hopefully it can be fixed, i wanna run at fontana in Nov
Old 10-25-2006, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How did you check the IAT sensor? Also have the A/F's changed at all at full load? Maybe gone from mid 11's to low 10's or something? The sensor that was just bare and touching each other could have been the EVAP Purge Solenoid.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

are you running stock narrowband or wideband with narrowband output to ECU as in closed loop? try putting it back to open loop! if you are using wideband that is feeding a narrow band output to your ecu your wideband tolerance have gone bad i guess! if thats what you are using do a wideband calibration

fuel pressure is stable at idle?
check your grounds are snug and do make conductive contact with the chassis
using stock or aftermarket MAP sensor? did u check the vacum line going to it?

if he map went wacko you can see it on real time datalogging that the ecu is selecting far appart cells

keep checking...i know it sucks and hope you find the problem

Modified by IntegraTypeR at 9:11 AM 10/26/2006
Old 10-25-2006, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Motor Goes To RICH Then LEAN (TurboLSVtecTeg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurboLSVtecTeg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How did you check the IAT sensor? Also have the A/F's changed at all at full load? Maybe gone from mid 11's to low 10's or something? The sensor that was just bare and touching each other could have been the EVAP Purge Solenoid.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

i just took the IAT out and looked at it to see if it was burnt or anything, seems like during boost the A/F seems ok, and the bare wires were to the EVAP.Just looks like Partial throttle is wacko.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IntegraTypeR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">are you running stock narrowband or wideband with narrowband output to ECU as in closed loop? try putting it back to open loop! if you are using wideband that is feeding a narrow band output to your ecu your wideband tolerance have gone bad i guess! if thats what you are using do a wideband calibration

fuel pressure is stable at idle?
check your grounds are snug and do make conductive contact with the chassis
using stock or aftermarket MAP sensor? did u check the vacum line going to it?

if he map went wacko you can see it on real time datalogging that the ecu is selecting far appart cells

keep checking...i know it sucks and hope you find the problem

Modified by IntegraTypeR at 9:11 AM 10/26/2006</TD></TR></TABLE>

im using a AEM wideband, with its own senor, not connected to the ecu, so i still have the o2 sensor activated to the computer, i havent checked the grounds yet, i will check that tomorrow, and im still using a stock map sensor, im thinking maybe the grounds did come loose, i did put brand new aftermarket mounts in, maybe they rattled loose somewhere, but would that really cause that to go wacked out?
Old 10-25-2006, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its possible, but all i know from my experience that disconnected/bad grounds make the car rough at idle and thats at partial map!

check the alternator,starter,thermostat and valve cover grounds using a multimeter or something that would be quick to check
Old 10-27-2006, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well nothing really happend with the tuner, but he told me to change out the IAT and see if it clears up, if not then we go back to the dyno and work out watever is happening on it

Quick Reply: Motor Goes To RICH Then LEAN