Notices

MoTec M4 ECU / MoTec engine harness product review

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (tepid1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tepid1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It was stated on the first page in the initial write up....

About $1k.</TD></TR></TABLE>

damn this motec isn't cheap then. I can get the ecu for a good price. but it doesn't come with a harness.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (integlspwr2k)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by integlspwr2k &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

damn this motec isn't cheap then. I can get the ecu for a good price. but it doesn't come with a harness. </TD></TR></TABLE>

that is where the motec stuff adds up -- yes you can make your own harness and possibly save a few dollars but F that, i would rather spend the extra money on the out of the box plug and play harness than spend my valuable time piecing a harness together

and when people consider the price of the M4 box one of the most overlooked extra costs is the advanced data logging and lambda option which can add $750+ to the price

the full motec m4 plug and play honda system with options unlocked will run you north of $3k

you get what you pay for in my opinion but, we have used the M4 for the last 4 years in my car and have nothing but positive comments regarding it -- but to be fair we have many friends and colleagues running much simpler engine management systems with great success as well

one of the things I really enjoy about having the motec system is that when all the **** hits the fan with the engine/car 99% of the time you can figure that it isn't the engine management systems fault which makes trouble shooting that much easier
Old 09-28-2007, 08:39 PM
New User

Default Re: (Innes)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Innes &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

that is where the motec stuff adds up -- yes you can make your own harness and possibly save a few dollars but F that, i would rather spend the extra money on the out of the box plug and play harness than spend my valuable time piecing a harness together

and when people consider the price of the M4 box one of the most overlooked extra costs is the advanced data logging and lambda option which can add $750+ to the price

the full motec m4 plug and play honda system with options unlocked will run you north of $3k

you get what you pay for in my opinion but, we have used the M4 for the last 4 years in my car and have nothing but positive comments regarding it -- but to be fair we have many friends and colleagues running much simpler engine management systems with great success as well

one of the things I really enjoy about having the motec system is that when all the **** hits the fan with the engine/car 99% of the time you can figure that it isn't the engine management systems fault which makes trouble shooting that much easier</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 09-29-2007, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (integlspwr2k)

http://www.t1raceparts.com/MoT...s.htm
Old 09-29-2007, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tony1)

Does anyone know if Motec makes an engine harness like the one posted for K series engines?
Old 09-29-2007, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ButterBall)

We can have a harness made for any application. Price will vary a little depending on which motec ecu you're using (K series needs the M400 for variable cam control) and what options you want on the harness. An M400 K series harness would probably start around $1600 or so.
Old 09-29-2007, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tony1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> http://www.t1raceparts.com/MoT...s.htm</TD></TR></TABLE>

this option is not soo bad..
Old 09-29-2007, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (underpressure02)

hands down the motec is a top notch system but the question you have to ask yourself is how much of the system r u actually going to use??????yea the base system is around $1500-2000 but the sensors ,harness,download plugs,etc are super dough wich aint a bad thing if you are going to use it if not you basically spent alot of money for no reason! id be willing to bet that the base 2000 dollar system would wined up costing you 5grand if you where to buy all the optional sensors ,wireing,and unlocking the codes that are already in the box.but hey for that price they will also send a certified motec tuner(skippy ) to come tune your car for ya .short story = dont let the 2000 sticker fool ya you will pay big money for a motec!! but it is without a doubt 1 of the best the question is do you need it ,imo unless your making damn near 4 digit h.p their are pruven system out their for a 1/4 of the money that work fine
Old 09-29-2007, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (h22 civic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by h22 civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hands down the motec is a top notch system but the question you have to ask yourself is how much of the system r u actually going to use??????yea the base system is around $1500-2000 but the sensors ,harness,download plugs,etc are super dough wich aint a bad thing if you are going to use it if not you basically spent alot of money for no reason! id be willing to bet that the base 2000 dollar system would wined up costing you 5grand if you where to buy all the optional sensors ,wireing,and unlocking the codes that are already in the box.but hey for that price they will also send a certified motec tuner(skippy ) to come tune your car for ya .short story = dont let the 2000 sticker fool ya you will pay big money for a motec!! but it is without a doubt 1 of the best the question is do you need it ,imo unless your making damn near 4 digit h.p their are pruven system out their for a 1/4 of the money that work fine </TD></TR></TABLE>

You have no idea what you're talking about man. lol..
Old 09-30-2007, 03:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OK. lol.... right.

I had to buy one sensor. The AEM/GM IAT sensor. That's it.

I bought the advanced tuning option as well. I did not get the Lambda option for reasons that I will not go into now.... I opted to get the Prologger wideband setup instead. It's the better way to go. Trust me.

I would love to show prices because you all are waaaayyyyyy off, but Tony gave me a pretty good deal and I don't know if he would want me to advertise that.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tepid1)

And you only bought the GM AIT because it's a quicker responding sensor, not because the Motec has to have it, it will work with the oem honda temp sensor.

You can download Motec's catalog from their site, and there's pricing on my site. An M4 Pro (all options enabled) is around $2600. You can buy an unterminated harness for $380 or you can buy a pre made harness for less than $1k. That's it, there's nothing else that is required. lol, and no, they don't fly somebody out to tune it for you.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tony1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">And you only bought the GM AIT because it's a quicker responding sensor, not because the Motec has to have it, it will work with the oem honda temp sensor.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Correct.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tony1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You have no idea what you're talking about man. lol..</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol ..your a funny guy when i talk it is from experience not from here say and with that being said when i seen this post litterally 3 hours earlier i was at a motec dealer (kay dee rotary in pensilvania east coast ) looking to buy a motec for a rx7 and everything i posted above is exactly what skip the tuner for motec and dealer told me so please enlighten me on what i said above that you are saying is not true ?and yes they said they will come to the shop and assist in tuning but their might be a waiting period !! p.s i know you could use the factory sensors but motec will recomend the motec sensors for accuracy wich i seen yesterday on a dyno run made a noticeable diference
Old 09-30-2007, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well what ecu were you inquiring about? What sensors are you talking about? Be more specific. Nothing is hidden, all the pricing is in Motec's catalog.

I'm a Motec dealer, i'm pretty familiar with how this stuff works.

If your motec dealer is going to assist you in installation or tuning, then that's totally on them, Motec does not send somebody out or require their dealers to include tuning with the systems.

Motec has a box specifically for the RX7, the M2R i believe (it's a new box) and it's cheaper than an M4.
Old 09-30-2007, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

he didnt mention a specific box for the rx7 we where talking bout the m4 with ALL options as you stated above all options from 2 egt per cylinder to the abs brake controll sensors ,traction controll ,suspension, etc he said it would take 2 days to tune the car with the guy from motec wich i just confirmed again works for motec as a tuner and when the dealer called him yesterday he was tunning some open wheel cars and i know they said his name was skip IDK ...but what ever ,so how much did you say you could get this system for?

Modified by h22 civic at 8:05 PM 9/30/2007

Modified by h22 civic at 8:07 PM 9/30/2007
Old 10-01-2007, 05:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There is only 2 options for the M4, advanced tuning/logging and the lambda option. It is around $750 to have both enabled.

The M4 has 2 digital inputs, 1 aux voltage input, and 1 aux temp input. You couldn't do 2 egt's, abs sensors, suspension travel, etc if you wanted to.

I don't know of any dealer that flys people out from motec to tune, that's part of being a motec dealer, the ability to setup and tune their systems.

Either way, the installation and tuning is going to be expensive if you're going to pay somebody to wire it, it's a big job, but nothing any different from wiring a haltech or any other system that you have to build a harness for.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:03 AM
New User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tony1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There is only 2 options for the M4, advanced tuning/logging and the lambda option. It is around $750 to have both enabled.

The M4 has 2 digital inputs, 1 aux voltage input, and 1 aux temp input. You couldn't do 2 egt's, abs sensors, suspension travel, etc if you wanted to.

I don't know of any dealer that flys people out from motec to tune, that's part of being a motec dealer, the ability to setup and tune their systems.

Either way, the installation and tuning is going to be expensive if you're going to pay somebody to wire it, it's a big job, but nothing any different from wiring a haltech or any other system that you have to build a harness for. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Nero!? lol

Old 10-01-2007, 12:00 PM

Default Re: (Boostfed.com)

he tunes your motec and blesses your turbo

Old 10-01-2007, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How does this motec thing compare to the apexi afc units tony?
Old 10-01-2007, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PrecisionH23a)

It's way better than the old skool SAFC units, but it's right on par with the new Apexi neo units. lol
Old 10-01-2007, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tony1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There is only 2 options for the M4, advanced tuning/logging and the lambda option. It is around $750 to have both enabled.

Either way, the installation and tuning is going to be expensive if you're going to pay somebody to wire it, it's a big job, but nothing any different from wiring a haltech or any other system that you have to build a harness for. </TD></TR></TABLE>

maybe he was talking about a diferent box and i just wasnt paying attention and i know he said the guy skip used to work for him and now works for motec as a tuner ...but anyway what is the price on the box (for the rx7its a 93 r1)and what i described above with all options and motec sensors with harness.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's not quite as simple as a harness and motec sensors for your project. If you're serious about this, email me and give me some detailed information about what you'd like in your system and we can figure out what's best for you and what it costs. "motec sensors" is not specific enough. I need a full list of specific sensors you're interested in, or at least a list of what you'd like to be logged and i can recommend sensors for the application.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Innes)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Innes &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">he tunes your motec and blesses your turbo

</TD></TR></TABLE>

he buys dinner too!!
Old 10-01-2007, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i thought motec came with one really big sensor that did everything? man im disappointed now.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:13 PM

Default Re: (Turbo-charged)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turbo-charged &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i thought motec came with one really big sensor that did everything? man im disappointed now.</TD></TR></TABLE>

rofl -- yeah it is a super sensor -- you just plug it into the bottom of your intake manifold and it Y's to a bung in your exhaust manifold and you are all set to go

that sensor runs $1799 so that is a bit of a turnoff to most folks

Quick Reply: MoTec M4 ECU / MoTec engine harness product review