Notices

most boost you can run on stock Type R motor

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2003, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default most boost you can run on stock Type R motor

I was wondering if anyone nows how much boost you can run on a stock type r motor. They have a hondata kit for it that comes with 11 lb pulley 440 injectors ecu and map. Would that be safe to run on a stock motor. If not what would i need, headgasket, internals , ect ?
Old 06-08-2003, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: most boost you can run on stock Type R motor (98typer794)

get it tune right, 11 psi on SC is fine. The key is tuning

stan
Old 06-08-2003, 08:55 PM

http://www.hondata.com/jrsc_big_boost.html

Here's the web site, they say its already tuned for the car, just plug and play. You think i still need to take it to get tuned.
Old 06-08-2003, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (98typer794)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98typer794 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">http://www.hondata.com/jrsc_big_boost.html

Here's the web site, they say its already tuned for the car, just plug and play. You think i still need to take it to get tuned.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes you do, different elevation, pressure and etc causes a different setup. You can not buy a chip or a standalone Ready to Use out of the box. Every condition produces different results, even at the same setups.

stan
Old 06-08-2003, 08:58 PM

ok, thanks for the help
Old 06-09-2003, 03:32 AM
New User

Default Re: (98typer794)

I have to disagree...the setup you buy from that site is a pretuned hondata unit, for what ever boost you will put out by those pulleys supplied with the kit. I have inquired about it. Thats the beauty of the kit. There was a large demand for kits like that to come out, because it is a burden to have to drive an untuned car to the tuner, let alone wait that much longer for someone to tune your car after you have put all the goodies on it.I wouldnt be suprised if you start seeing turbo kits supplied with pretuned hondata.
Old 06-09-2003, 03:43 AM
len
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (RedKevin79)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RedKevin79 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have to disagree...the setup you buy from that site is a pretuned hondata unit, for what ever boost you will put out by those pulleys supplied with the kit. I have inquired about it. Thats the beauty of the kit. There was a large demand for kits like that to come out, because it is a burden to have to drive an untuned car to the tuner, let alone wait that much longer for someone to tune your car after you have put all the goodies on it.I wouldnt be suprised if you start seeing turbo kits supplied with pretuned hondata.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Disagree about what. The JRSC Kit with Hondata is a system designed to run "OK." You can't write one fuel map and it work fine with every engine. You still have to get it tuned. So many different variables come into play. Look at NA motors for example. I've seen two identical cars with identical motors and parts go to the dyno and they were both tuned differently to obtain the same whp.
Old 06-09-2003, 12:57 PM

Default Re: (len)

C'mon, tuning is not some mystical art. It is based on mechanical theory. Why would two cars with the same engines be tuned differently? Do I have to re-tune my car everytime the temperature changes more than 5 degrees? What about if I want to drive in the mountains? Should I stop every few miles to re-tune for the change in elevation. I think some guys here are getting a little carried away with their tuning "worship". The reason that hondas are so reliable is their quality control. This means that all their engines are pretty much created equal. When you hear about the wide range of stock HP between cars most of it has to do with the different dynos and the different conditions at the time of the pulls. Considering the work and $$$$ that guys use to get an extra 10-15 HP I just can't believe that two identical stock hondas would have that big of a difference off the lot. What exactly are the differences between these motors that require each one to be tuned differently?