Notices

Moroso Crankcase ventilation system, anyone using this instead of pcv

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 07:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moroso Crankcase ventilation system, anyone using this instead of pcv

I just ran onto this product today in summitt, I think- it may have been jegs. Anyway, I am considering it. I have a built b18c1 and right now it's stock pcv with a breather filter on the valve cover. At first I was going to get a catch can, then someone told me to just unhook the pcv and run a line from the stock oil separater box to the ground...then I ran onto this and spoke with a N/A guy who uses it.

Basically if you dont' know what it does, and dont want to look it up... it uses exhaust to create a vaccume which sucks the pressure from your crankcase.

Does anyone use something like this and if so are there any disadvantages? thanks in advance
Old 02-03-2005, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Moroso Crankcase ventilation system, anyone using this instead of pcv (94lsboost)

I used to use these alot on domestic circle track engines.It uses exhaust velocity to create a vacuum in the engine.The valve that screws into the exhaust is a copy of the egr setup chyrsler has used for years.Its a rubber flapper valve that keeps the exhaust from running back into the engine.Problem arises from idle time when velocity is low.This burns the flapper and the exhaust pressurizes the engine.Be sure to follow the angle spec.s in the instructions when you mount the pipes in the header or down pipe.In a drag engine these work well.You need to make sure the area your pulling vacuum from is well baffled so you don't pull oil out of the engine.Belt driven vacuum pumps are the best setup going.
Glenn
Old 02-03-2005, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Moroso Crankcase ventilation system, anyone using this instead of pcv (NJIN BUILDR)

i know someone who used it on his racecar. . Del Sol

something with the way the vaccum worked made his car run like **** on decel. I think if you run a vacuum pump to it , it might help. But on decel or clutch is it wouldnt pull out the gases and try and stall out i think it was.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Moroso Crankcase ventilation system, anyone using this instead of pcv (NJIN BUILDR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NJIN BUILDR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I used to use these alot on domestic circle track engines.It uses exhaust velocity to create a vacuum in the engine.The valve that screws into the exhaust is a copy of the egr setup chyrsler has used for years.Its a rubber flapper valve that keeps the exhaust from running back into the engine.Problem arises from idle time when velocity is low.This burns the flapper and the exhaust pressurizes the engine.Be sure to follow the angle spec.s in the instructions when you mount the pipes in the header or down pipe.In a drag engine these work well.You need to make sure the area your pulling vacuum from is well baffled so you don't pull oil out of the engine.Belt driven vacuum pumps are the best setup going.
Glenn</TD></TR></TABLE>
by your definition of this system the rubber flapper is pointless. i don;t understand why it would be in the system if it doesn't act as a one way valve. usualy in this style of pcv system the rubber flapper thing is a one way valve, which is pushed closed at idle by exhaust pressure but is pulled open by the exhaust and pushed open by the crankcase pressure at the same time under a moderate to high load
Old 02-03-2005, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Moroso Crankcase ventilation system, anyone using this instead of pcv (b16hybridsol)

It works until they are not being cooled by the crankcase air.At idle rpm there is not enough crankcase air passing thru them and they get burned up by the exhaust temp.Then there is no one way valve left.
Glenn
Old 02-03-2005, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

makes sense, any solutions for this besides a vaccum pump?