Notices

methanol injection using AIC?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2003, 12:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default methanol injection using AIC?

I've been thinking about running methanol injection in my street car. I've been trying to come up with a precise way to inject it into the motor based on rpm and boost levels.

I want to run a seperate fuel system up front with a 3 gallon fuel cell for methanol. Run a -10 fuel rail with 1600cc injector. Would the weldon 2035 pump nessasary for this application or could I get away with a smaller pump. Use something like a greddy rebic 4 to control the amount of fuel being injected into the motor. I'm looking to make 500whp on pump fuel and a large portion of methanol.

I want to inject the meth only when I'm in boost to limit oil contamination and retain good fuel economy.

Justin
Old 12-17-2003, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: methanol injection using AIC? (olsonjus)

Since you are probably using some type of programmable engine management, you'll have complete control over the fuel trim tables. With this in mind, you can use a "dumb" meth system and compensate the fuel tables accordingly. "Dumb" meaning the meth starts spraying at a contant rate at a certain boost/load level and never varies.

You can get by with a much cheaper setup that what you are proposing- check out the meth kit @ http://www.derekdevises.com. With this kit you put a nozzle in the piping after the IC and it sprays. Your proposed setup is superior because it ensures good distrubution of meth in each cylinder, but running another set of injectors and another rail might be overkill. In any case, I would definitely go with something smaller than 1600cc injectors.

Meth is by far the best method to get huge numbers on "pump gas." It is a magical thing since it has no drawbacks- you can boost to race gas levels and get the cooling effect of meth on the EGTs and intake temps.
I'll be using meth and should have some updates on the dereksdevises setup within a couple months. My main difference vs. most setups is that I have the Endyn IM which does a great job ensuring an equal distribution of air flow to each cylinder.

Ben
Old 12-17-2003, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: methanol injection using AIC? (Bnjmn)

Yeah, I thought it over last night and realized I'm not going to need such a heavy duty fuel system. I'm thinking I can get away with injectors ~82lb/hr and have no problems. I already have the fuel rail, and the injectors aren't too much money. I'll probably use a smaller pump then the weldon.

How much meth do I need to be injecting on top of the pump fuel? If I little goes a long way, I could use cheaper fuel pumps and injectors.

Justin
Old 12-17-2003, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

email derek, he will let you know the rates that his kit injects @. I know that it is calibrated for a good sized single turbo on a Supra engine, so it is already overkill on a Honda.
Old 12-17-2003, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it takes about 2x as much meth as pump gas for the same power. if you have enough fuel (gas) to make the power but just want to use the methanol to lower the intake temps and for its anti knock proprites then using a single nozzle would work best. stoich for methanol is about 7:1, not 14.7:1 like gas.
Old 12-17-2003, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: methanol injection using AIC? (JDogg)

The only thing you have to worry about with a single nozzle is good distribution among cylinders. If using a single nozzle I'd meausre EGTs @ each cylinder to make sure that each is getting a relatively equal amounts of meth. BTW- this is obvious- but a relatively higher EGT will indicate that that cylinder isn't getting enough meth.

Ben
Old 12-17-2003, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the only time you ahve to worry about that is if you are using the methanol for fuel. the way we use it there is only enough injected to properly cool the charge and prevent knock, not add fuel.
Old 12-18-2003, 06:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The way "who" uses it? You can't add meth without having it be used as fuel. Meth is a fuel no matter how you use it.
You still need an even distribution so you know that all cylinders are benefitting and whatever advanced timing/boost isn't going to lead to problems because one cylinder is running hotter or is seeing a lower effective octane.
Old 12-18-2003, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The way "who" uses it? You can't add meth without having it be used as fuel. Meth is a fuel no matter how you use it.
You still need an even distribution so you know that all cylinders are benefitting and whatever advanced timing/boost isn't going to lead to problems because one cylinder is running hotter or is seeing a lower effective octane.

Ben
Old 12-18-2003, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, that is why I cam up with the AIC idea. I think even distribution is critical to making reliable big power numbers on pump w/ meth. Maybe I could get away with 4 300cc injectors and a small pump pushing 75psi???

I was looking around and found
http://www.034efi.com
They have a AIC that sounds perfect for what I need and its only $300.
Old 12-22-2003, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That sounds pretty reasonable- 300cc should be fine though you may have trouble finding meth compatible injectors that small. You'll also need to make sure the fuel rail isn't made out of aluminum.
I don't think you'll need that much pressure, but who knows. You'll probably have to search a little bit to find a pump as well that won't get corroded by meth.
Good luck though and post your results. I'll have some numbers on my setup (derekdevises/Endyn IM) hopefully in Feb or March.

Ben