Mega Squirt Standalone

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mega Squirt Standalone

I searched but only found a few posts on it a year ago. Anyone tried, ran, use, used this system? My friend runs it in his cars and is pretty good at tuning with it and made me a deal that if i ran it, he would install my entire turbo system for free including the LSD
Old 11-07-2006, 06:51 AM

Default Re: Mega Squirt Standalone (Speed94)

No need for it in a Honda-- there are so many easier and more adjustable systems out there. Crome, Uberdata, Hondata all use the stock Honda ECU and sensors. Or you can get the AEM which just replaces the ECU.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mega Squirt Standalone (ccivic)

yes, but what if I was concerned with cost? I know of the others out there...I was actually just going to go Neptune, but the chance at saving 1500 just to use Mega Squirt is a hard thing to pass up...unless it doesnt make sense. If Mega Squirt does the same things as all the others and does it just as well...why not use it. Im just looking for people that have had experiences with it
Old 11-07-2006, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mega Squirt Standalone (rota92)

Thanks...just sent him a PM. I might just be the guinnea pig for Mega Squirt on boosted honda/acura's lol
Old 11-07-2006, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

don't you have to wire megasquirt to all the sensors that you want it to monitor? Similar to motec?

That is why most of us go hondata/crome/uberdata/AEM, cause it goes through the factory wiring/sensors.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:53 AM

Default Re: Mega Squirt Standalone (mike1114)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike1114 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">don't you have to wire megasquirt to all the sensors that you want it to monitor? Similar to motec?

That is why most of us go hondata/crome/uberdata/AEM, cause it goes through the factory wiring/sensors.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, you need to run them on mostly GM sensors. But you can program the megasquirt to run on whatever sensor you want, kinda like AEM.

There just isn't a need for it on a honda. It is mostly used for cars that were converted from a carb setup to fuel injection or adding boost to something with out after market support.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mega Squirt Standalone (mike1114)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike1114 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">don't you have to wire megasquirt to all the sensors that you want it to monitor? Similar to motec?

That is why most of us go hondata/crome/uberdata/AEM, cause it goes through the factory wiring/sensors.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You can run a jumper harness for it. Just like an obdII to obdI deal.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mega Squirt Standalone (splitime)

Thats what I was going to do
Old 11-07-2006, 08:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run Megasquirt on my Kia. For non-Honda/Acura cars, it is an excellent choice, because it can control most everything in a modern car, including COP and DIS ignitions.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:00 AM

Default Re: Mega Squirt Standalone (beepy)

Neptune only costs around $600 for a full tune.. not 1500.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Speed94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yes, but what if I was concerned with cost? I know of the others out there...I was actually just going to go Neptune, but the chance at saving 1500 just to use Mega Squirt is a hard thing to pass up...unless it doesnt make sense. If Mega Squirt does the same things as all the others and does it just as well...why not use it. Im just looking for people that have had experiences with it </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 11-07-2006, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mega Squirt Standalone (ccivic)

I probably should have mentioned I was paying 750 for the turbo install which my friend was going to do for free with the mega squirt....which would have totalled around 1500 after tax
Old 11-07-2006, 12:15 PM

Turbo install = free w/ 12hours of work with the help of a friend at most.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go for it. The basic MegaSquirt'n'Spark is very easy to set up for a car with a dizzy. However, more work is needed to make it work with knock sensors, boost control, DIS, idle control, even the main and fuel pump relays. Basically the MS was created to convert carburated cars to EFI, not really EFI to EFI.

My MS has an entire extra daughterboard that runs all of that stuff. You also give up some things. The MS is not OBD, doesn't work with electronic auto transmissions, doesn't care about A/C or ABS controls, and is batch-fire vice sequential. But if you want to do it, go for it. I just suggest that you take the time to build a conversion harness instead of just splicing wires, so that you can go back to the OEM ECU when you have to for emmissions, etc.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mega Squirt Standalone (beepy)

are you running boost? how long did it tke you to get it right?
Old 11-07-2006, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mega Squirt Standalone (93turbo16)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93turbo16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There just isn't a need for it on a honda. It is mostly used for cars that were converted from a carb setup to fuel injection or adding boost to something with out after market support. </TD></TR></TABLE>

There is no need for megasquirt on hondas. Hondas have a lot of options. Do not get me wrong, MS is great, but you can buy a chipped ECU and pay for tuning (crome, Neptune) for what you will buy MS for.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Re: Mega Squirt Standalone (Turbogixxer)

I run Megasquirt on my setup.

The only difficulty to MS on a Honda(or any setup) is the fact that you start from scratch. It has just as much, probably more options than any other system I've seen. MS is huge in other "tuner communities" (especially Volvo). My tuner is a Volvo/Nissan guy that convinced me to go with it. We'll be resetting it up on my new setup hopefully Friday. The only real qirk that I noticed was the fuel enrichment at idle being a bitch, but other than that it gets the from me.
Also, I went from Turboedit to Megasquirt.

since converting I've also sold 2 other Honda owners on it. One just had his installed on his 97 Civic about 2 weeks ago, running smoothly on a 15G kit (my old turbo kit).
Old 11-07-2006, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mega Squirt Standalone (Autoworks)

why make life harder... run crome, etc. leave megasquirt to who it was designed for... bmw's and mustangs
Old 11-08-2006, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im leaning towards not getting a chipped ECU for the fact that I have to re-flash when I change the boost or anything else
Old 11-08-2006, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mega Squirt Standalone (DragWerks)

or hondata i suppose....just looking at options in terms of what they all can do and price
Old 11-08-2006, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Dont get me wrong guys...its not that I dont have the money to do it either which way, but why pay more for something when something else works just as good
Old 11-08-2006, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Speed94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im leaning towards not getting a chipped ECU for the fact that I have to re-flash when I change the boost or anything else</TD></TR></TABLE>

All chipped ECU means is it is ready for Crome/hondata/Uberdata/Neptune

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Speed94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Dont get me wrong guys...its not that I dont have the money to do it either which way, but why pay more for something when something else works just as good</TD></TR></TABLE>

You will be paying more for MS.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turbogixxer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You will be paying more for MS. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Might want to look into that more. The great thing about MS... is its cheap.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mega Squirt Standalone (splitime)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by splitime &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Might want to look into that more. The great thing about MS... is its cheap.</TD></TR></TABLE>

hehe, I tune a lot of them. Last time I check it was $165 for all the parts for the base system. $100 = chipped ECU.

You have to build a harness for MS too. Plus trigger wheel, EDIS if you do not want to use the stock sensors.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turbogixxer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You will be paying more for MS. </TD></TR></TABLE>

MegaSquirt is $250 complete unassembled... other versions are $150.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MidShipCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

MegaSquirt is $250 complete unassembled... other versions are $150.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turbogixxer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">$100 = chipped ECU. </TD></TR></TABLE>

You are not factoring in what you need to run it too.

Quick Reply: Mega Squirt Standalone