Notices

Major engine probs....

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2002, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major engine probs....

Well this is a long and complicated problem... but i do appreciate anyone willing to help out... so with that being said here goes.

5 months ago i start on my project 95 gsr... already did turbo, and wanted to run more boost... project consists of stock block je 9:1 compression pistons, eagle H rods, je rings, off the top of my head i think that is it for the block... pretty simple... head work.... i went with JG Engine Dynamics pro series II head package... stock cams stock injectors, votech fmu, stock FPR, stock ignition.... obviously most of these stock things i plan on replacing... but they should at this point be running ok.... so here are my problems...
last week i get everything in the car, and everything together 100% prime the motor, everything seems great... start it up... fires up like a champ... got a few check engine lights... but come to find out my T/A sensor was pluged into my IAC and vise versa... had to replace T/A seonsor due to too much voltage from the plug it was connected to... un-knowingly i used synthetic ( i know i know) bad idea... the car at idle runs awesome... however under throttle it takes awhile to gain rpm's.... i attempt to take the car around the block... and it doesnt want to go over 3-4 rpm... its like it isnt getting enough fuel, or too much of it... im also noticing the EGT reaching 1500-1600 at wot doing 20mph in 2nd gear... cant be good.. so im thinkin im runnin lean... however i didnt get into boost.... and before i did the motor work, i was running 10-12 psi on stock injectors... so i really dont think its from my fuel system... however i could be wrong.... i take off the valve cover to check timing.. everything is A-ok... i pull the plugs and they look good as well.... i look down into the cylinder and i see some oil on top of my pistons... no clue where it s comming from... also i had a friend put his hand over the exhaust tip and i reved it a bit and he had a black soot/water buildup on his hand.... again... im clueless... i guess i dont know where to go from here... i also noticed a cooling prob with the rad. overflowing the overflow tank... however ive never been good with getting the rad fluid **** right... so at this point im not too worried about that.. i just dont understand why the motor is running great until throttle is applied.... im sure its something stupid.. but i am stumped... i have checked every fitting, vac lines, checked for leaks... and i see nothing... i really hope someone here can help... i havnt driven the car for almost a year now... right before all this i was in the process of ITR front end conversion and it was down for about 5 1/2 months over the winter doing that... thanks guys... your help is much appreciated