Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

bad bad bad situation

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2002, 04:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad bad bad situation

this is what my friend wants to know.....

"Well this is a long and complicated problem... but i do appreciate anyone willing to help out... so with that being said here goes.
5 months ago i start on my project 95 gsr... already did turbo, and wanted to run more boost... project consists of stock block je 9:1 compression pistons, eagle H rods, je rings, off the top of my head i think that is it for the block... pretty simple... head work.... i went with JG Engine Dynamics pro series II head package... stock cams stock injectors, votech fmu, stock FPR, stock ignition.... obviously most of these stock things i plan on replacing... but they should at this point be running ok.... so here are my problems...
last week i get everything in the car, and everything together 100% prime the motor, everything seems great... start it up... fires up like a champ... got a few check engine lights... but come to find out my T/A sensor was pluged into my IAC and vise versa... had to replace T/A seonsor due to too much voltage from the plug it was connected to... un-knowingly i used synthetic ( i know i know) bad idea... the car at idle runs awesome... however under throttle it takes awhile to gain rpm's.... i attempt to take the car around the block... and it doesnt want to go over 3-4 rpm... its like it isnt getting enough fuel, or too much of it... im also noticing the EGT reaching 1500-1600 at wot doing 20mph in 2nd gear... cant be good.. so im thinkin im runnin lean... however i didnt get into boost.... and before i did the motor work, i was running 10-12 psi on stock injectors... so i really dont think its from my fuel system... however i could be wrong.... i take off the valve cover to check timing.. everything is A-ok... i pull the plugs and they look good as well.... i look down into the cylinder and i see some oil on top of my pistons... no clue where it s comming from... also i had a friend put his hand over the exhaust tip and i reved it a bit and he had a black soot/water buildup on his hand.... again... im clueless... i guess i dont know where to go from here... i also noticed a cooling prob with the rad. overflowing the overflow tank... however ive never been good with getting the rad fluid **** right... so at this point im not too worried about that.. i just dont understand why the motor is running great until throttle is applied.... im sure its something stupid.. but i am stumped... i have checked every fitting, vac lines, checked for leaks... and i see nothing... i really hope someone here can help... i havnt driven the car for almost a year now... right before all this i was in the process of ITR front end conversion and it was down for about 5 1/2 months over the winter doing that... thanks guys... your help is much appreciated"
Old 10-07-2002, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Re: bad bad bad situation (Mstrpimp02)

I'm probobly not qualified to answer your question but....

it sounds like your computer is putting you in "limp home" mode.

this is when if senses things are generally wrong or dangerous and it cuts all performance to the motor regardless of input.

You might have something else hooked up wrong that doesn't effect the mechanical running of the motor but makes the computer **** itself.

check all the wires going in and out of the ecu make sure everything is right.

Good luck hope that helps
Old 10-07-2002, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: bad bad bad situation (NonovUrbizniz)

reset your ecu, see if that works....
Old 10-07-2002, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: bad bad bad situation (Ideal)

find out what ecu codes it has, I bet that has everything to do with it