Notices

LsVtec Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 12:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LsVtec Turbo

Hey guys, I'm in a process of building my lsvtec turbo. My goal is to reach at least 400-500hp and still be street legal. I would love some feed backs, advice, parts recommend/prefer on how to reach my goal.
They list is what i have currently installed and running on a tempory tune.

B16a2 head
Brian crower dual valve springs plus retainer
Arp head stud
Gsr cams w/skunk2 cam gears
Elbrock victory intake
BDL Industries billet throttle(70mm)
BDL industries fuel rail
450cc RC injectors
Walbro 225 fuel pump

Block(b18a1):
Golden eagle lsvtec conversion kit
Mahle piston 9:1
Eagle rod
Gsr/Type r oil and water pump
Gsr/Type r Gate timing belt
Gsr transmission
Computer Hondata s300

*What i'm getting for the boost*
T3 60trim Turbonetic
Go-autoworks top-mount manifold
Go-autoworksintercooler cap.450-600whp
Hks bov
Tial wastegate size??
Skunk2 pro1 cams
Walbro 255 pump
1000cc injectors??
Map sensor??

These are the main parts i have currently installed and parts that i need for the boost.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: LsVtec Turbo

Your current set up is fine as for the pending list check out the BWR ram horn vs the top mount, it's is way too big and if you're going to run that at least step up to a 5858. Intercooler is fine stick with tial those HKS bov's are problematic, 44mm tial gate. those cams require you to step up your springs+retainers from your current BC ones add another $500, plus they're over kill. 255 is fine and 1000cc are needed pretty much, shouldn't be needed but hondata 4 bar would be good. As for the turbo some people like turbonetics but I've never trusted them seeing as they are so often paired with those "$800 kits"... garret or precision should be your go-to's.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

450's wont get you to 400-500 hp, re think that idea.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sirtef9
450's wont get you to 400-500 hp, re think that idea.
These 450's is only so i could drive the car for the moment until i find the right turbo set up.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B_Swapped93
Your current set up is fine as for the pending list check out the BWR ram horn vs the top mount, it's is way too big and if you're going to run that at least step up to a 5858. Intercooler is fine stick with tial those HKS bov's are problematic, 44mm tial gate. those cams require you to step up your springs+retainers from your current BC ones add another $500, plus they're over kill. 255 is fine and 1000cc are needed pretty much, shouldn't be needed but hondata 4 bar would be good. As for the turbo some people like turbonetics but I've never trusted them seeing as they are so often paired with those "$800 kits"... garret or precision should be your go-to's.
So you are saying dont get sk2 pro1 cams and my gsr cams should be fine?
Old 09-03-2015, 08:08 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Turbo and injectors are too small, cams are too big.

I'd look into the STC Predator/ S256/ GT30r for your turbo choice. You need something in the 56+lb/min range for that power level.

1000cc injectors unless you're using e85, then 1200s or larger...450s would maybe make 300whp before capping out

Omni/ Hondata 4bar map sensor
Old 09-03-2015, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Schister66
Turbo and injectors are too small, cams are too big.

I'd look into the STC Predator/ S256/ GT30r for your turbo choice. You need something in the 56+lb/min range for that power level.

1000cc injectors unless you're using e85, then 1200s or larger...450s would maybe make 300whp before capping out

Omni/ Hondata 4bar map sensor
Do you think gt35r would be too big? Lagg? Non-sleeved Ls block capable of handling?
Old 09-03-2015, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by VANGASKHAN
Do you think gt35r would be too big? Lagg? Non-sleeved Ls block capable of handling?
What are your goals/plans for the car? I have a B20vtec, so same idea as your build just more displacement. I'm running a Full Race GtX3076r
(billet wheel GT30r variant.) and make ~450whp. Response is good and spool is great, especially since my relatively high compression gives good off boost power. I would probably get more top end from a 35r variant, but I'm on stock sleeves and done with my B series anyway so never pushed it any further. In any event, I think you should consider what you plan to do with the car before choosing a turbo. Gt35r would be good for a drag toy, but
I wouldn't personally go that big on an open track/autoX or street car because of issues with lag and off boost response with your setup. I would talk to theShodan. Tell him your setup and your goals and he will point you In the right direction. Also as for WG, 44mm is a must for that power level I would say. I'm running a 38, but anything over 500/15-18psi I would suggest a larger gate.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:40 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by B20VtecVillain
I wouldn't personally go that big on an open track/autoX or street car because of issues with lag and off boost response with your setup. I would talk to theShodan. Tell him your setup and your goals and he will point you In the right direction. Also as for WG, 44mm is a must for that power level I would say. I'm running a 38, but anything over 500/15-18psi I would suggest a larger gate.
I appreciate the trust of reference. I would, however, go by the power level, given by the turbocharger, at a specific range of boost pressure levels and most importantly, the exhaust manifold type used. THAT will determine what size gate and spring are needed for your particular build.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:48 AM

I appreciate the trust of reference. I would, however, go by the power level, given by the turbocharger, at a specific range of boost pressure levels and most importantly, the exhaust manifold type used. THAT will determine what size gate and spring are needed for your particular build.

I wouldn't use a Topmount manifold for this particular purpose. It is not necessary, and will actually hurt the type of behaviour you're trying to achieve whichever smaller turbo you decide.

The following products are not necessary:
-Top Mount Exhaust Manifold
-Pro 1 camshafts

I would not consider also using
-BDL series Throttle body
-4 bar MAP - (a simple 3 bar map sensor will do fine)
Old 09-03-2015, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What are your goals/plans for the car? I have a B20vtec, so same idea as your build just more displacement. I'm running a Full Race GtX3076r
(billet wheel GT30r variant.) and make ~450whp. Response is good and spool is great, especially since my relatively high compression gives good off boost power. I would probably get more top end from a 35r variant, but I'm on stock sleeves and done with my B series anyway so never pushed it any further. In any event, I think you should consider what you plan to do with the car before choosing a turbo. Gt35r would be good for a drag toy, but
Thanks for the advice and reference. My plan is to make at least 400-500hp, i would want a turbo that has quick response and mid spool. A turbo that would give me the hp that i want and not put too much stress on the turbo nor the motor. I will be building it for street compatible(daily driven)
Old 09-03-2015, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan

I wouldn't use a Topmount manifold for this particular purpose. It is not necessary, and will actually hurt the type of behaviour you're trying to achieve whichever smaller turbo you decide.

The following products are not necessary:
-Top Mount Exhaust Manifold
-Pro 1 camshafts

I would not consider also using
-BDL series Throttle body
-4 bar MAP - (a simple 3 bar map sensor will do fine)

Thanks for the advice. I will be doing some arrangement and unchecking.
What turbo exhaust manifold do you recommend?
If not BDL TB, what should i run?
Old 09-03-2015, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Stock
Old 09-03-2015, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
Stock
Exactly. Stock for the throttle body.

As for the exhaust manifold, choices will vary with preference, but you want to work with something that doesn't use such a large diameter runner for just exhaust VOLUME. You want to keep exhaust VELOCITY high as well, for many people here will use the term " Better FLOW very loosely. For your goals you want both more efficient exhaust volume AND velocity, but a top mount is definitely not the way to go for what you're asking.

I have my personal preferences, (some here really may disagree with),however, you must understand that actual components all depend upon budget, what amenities you're trying to keep, radiator size and type, as well as intercooler.

So, with that, take a look here at the FAQs and read about exhaust manifold choice. (which manifold works best for me?)
Old 09-03-2015, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just get a mini ram, you maybe could run a tubular log as i have seen some nuts numbers pushed on it, but the ramhorn will be better and mini ram the best.
The 60 trim will work fine, but you really should decide - do you want closer to 400whp or closer to 5, as this will affect turbo choice and spool. Hell I've seen 57 and even 50 trims push 4-450 (with meth on the 50)
Those will both spool fast, and you could do even better with ball bearing
Old 09-04-2015, 03:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Geis
Just get a mini ram, you maybe could run a tubular log as i have seen some nuts numbers pushed on it, but the ramhorn will be better and mini ram the best.
The 60 trim will work fine, but you really should decide - do you want closer to 400whp or closer to 5, as this will affect turbo choice and spool. Hell I've seen 57 and even 50 trims push 4-450 (with meth on the 50)
Those will both spool fast, and you could do even better with ball bearing
Ram horn/57 trim-60 trim would be the area I would be in if I were looking for your goals. I am in the exact same area, and have the same type of setup (Full Race gtx3076/FullRace ProStreet manifold/kit)
I'm making ~450 at fairly modest boost levels and my setup is AC compatible. This was my goal with the build, and I feel luckily to have had proper input and advice to help me make the right choice the FIRST time and save myself much money and headaches. You are doing the right thing by seeking tips, and I think your setup will prosper for that as well. Throwing random parts together is never the way to go, and a properly thought out and matched efficient setup will almost always make great power AND live a healthy live. I still have people shocked to this day about how well my build works, and it's not because it's super fancy it's just because everything compliments everything else. Good luck with the build bro!