Notices

LSD in a LS tranny, worth it or not??

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LSD in a LS tranny, worth it or not??

I have been hearing great things about the obx lsd but I'm wondering if a LSD is worth the investment in a LS tranny? I have never heard anyone having an LSD in a LS tranny and would like to hear ppl's comments about it.
Old 08-27-2004, 07:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: LSD in a LS tranny, worth it or not?? (Mr.DC2TurBo)

Im running a type r lsd in an LS trans. An LSD is a worthwhile investment no
matter how you look at it, even in a total street car. IMO an lsd in always worth
the investment. The real question here is whether or not the LS tranny is right
for your setup.
BTW, i also changed to a 4.4 final drive.
Old 08-29-2004, 07:21 AM

Default Re: LSD in a LS tranny, worth it or not?? (rioninja)

Don't get me wrong, I would love to swap out my LS to get a gsr tranny or itr with an obx lsd but money is the main issue here. I can afford either a gsr tranny with no lsd or have a LS tranny with lsd put in. Which is better? Having shorter gears from 3rd and up and still have no traction or have taller gears and traction in each gear?
Old 08-29-2004, 12:52 PM

any comments?
Old 08-29-2004, 12:59 PM

go for the type r lsd in the ls tranny.
Old 08-29-2004, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rioninja &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Im running a type r lsd in an LS trans. An LSD is a worthwhile investment no
matter how you look at it, even in a total street car. IMO an lsd in always worth
the investment. The real question here is whether or not the LS tranny is right
for your setup.
BTW, i also changed to a 4.4 final drive.</TD></TR></TABLE>

how? I tried putting a ITR lsd in my ls tranny. ring gear didnt fit, went to acura and bought a GSR ring gear. also didnt fit... went and bought a quaife. now that fit.
Old 08-29-2004, 02:06 PM

Default Re: LSD in a LS tranny, worth it or not?? (Boostage)

I used an ITR 4.4 ring gear, and ITR countershaft.

You have a hydro trans, correct?
Old 08-29-2004, 02:33 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boostage &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

how? I tried putting a ITR lsd in my ls tranny. ring gear didnt fit, went to acura and bought a GSR ring gear. also didnt fit... went and bought a quaife. now that fit.</TD></TR></TABLE>

so are u running a lsd in a LS tranny? If so, is it worth it and do you get traction in 3rd?
Old 08-29-2004, 03:04 PM

You will be infinitely more happy with a non LSD GSR trans than you will with an LS trans with LSD, your car will be a lot quicker with the GSR.
Old 08-29-2004, 03:36 PM

Default Re: LSD in a LS tranny, worth it or not?? (b16coupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b16coupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You will be infinitely more happy with a non LSD GSR trans than you will with an LS trans with LSD, your car will be a lot quicker with the GSR.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Even if I have all that pw by swaping a gsr tranny, I wont have traction and it would be useless hp
Old 08-29-2004, 03:42 PM
95GSRTT

I say go with an LS tranny with gsr final drive. Will be just as quick in 1st and 2nd, and have a tad bit longer gears in 3,4,5th for daily driving, and for traction, since that sounds like what you are worried about the most.
Old 08-29-2004, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr.DC2TurBo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

so are u running a lsd in a LS tranny? If so, is it worth it and do you get traction in 3rd?</TD></TR></TABLE>

My car is in the body shop being repainted so I havent run my setup yet. but I from what I have seen a LSD in an LS tranny is awesome. but your have to have the power to back it up. because the ratio is longer.
Old 08-29-2004, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rioninja &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I used an ITR 4.4 ring gear, and ITR countershaft.

You have a hydro trans, correct?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes.. anyway I now have a quaife in there so it sok.
Old 08-29-2004, 04:24 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr.DC2TurBo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Even if I have all that pw by swaping a gsr tranny, I wont have traction and it would be useless hp</TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't be a girlie she-man. I'm pushing 433 WHP on pump gas out of my hatch and I drove it for a while without my quaiffe, and I pulled off some mid 12's on maybe 20% tread azenis, which is pretty impressive if you ask me. I raced a hatch with a 480 WHP LS/VTEC he still had the stock LS trans with a quaiffe, I had non-LSD GSR trans, he was on new 205/50/15 BFG DR's and did a big smokey burnout, I was on my balding azenis and I still pulled on him because the LS gearing sucks for turbo. It's only wasted horsepower if you know how to drive, and **** OBX LSD isn't going to magically make your car cut 1.6 60 foots on street tires because it's an LSD.
Old 08-29-2004, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LSD in a LS tranny, worth it or not?? (boosted92)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosted92 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Don't be a girlie she-man. I'm pushing 433 WHP on pump gas out of my hatch and I drove it for a while without my quaiffe, and I pulled off some mid 12's on maybe 20% tread azenis, which is pretty impressive if you ask me. I raced a hatch with a 480 WHP LS/VTEC he still had the stock LS trans with a quaiffe, I had non-LSD GSR trans, he was on new 205/50/15 BFG DR's and did a big smokey burnout, I was on my balding azenis and I still pulled on him because the LS gearing sucks for turbo. It's only wasted horsepower if you know how to drive, and **** OBX LSD isn't going to magically make your car cut 1.6 60 foots on street tires because it's an LSD.</TD></TR></TABLE>

your either lieing or beat a bad driver. Im gonna go with your lieing. The ls tranny is not bad for boost. you said you beat a 480whp car that has more tq than you (ls/vtec) on Brand new drag radials. vs your 20% left thread azenis. with 47less whp and maybe 80 foot lbs less. sorry but thats bs.
Old 08-29-2004, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I will be running an LS transmission on my turbo B18b. Before the clutch goes in I will be putting an LSD in. I need to use these slicks
Old 08-29-2004, 06:01 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boostage &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

My car is in the body shop being repainted so I havent run my setup yet. but I from what I have seen a LSD in an LS tranny is awesome. but your have to have the power to back it up. because the ratio is longer.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have a ls teg which I'm hoping to make around 330-350hp at 18 psi (9:5:1 ratio and t3/t4e 57 trim a/r .63), so is this enough to compensate for the longer ratio?

Old 08-29-2004, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a ls teg which I'm hoping to make around 330-350hp at 18 psi (9:5:1 ratio and t3/t4e 57 trim a/r .63), so is this enough to compensate for the longer ratio?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

U wont be disapointed.
Old 08-29-2004, 07:41 PM
95GSRTT

the gsr tranny will obviously be faster, but there is nothing wrong with the LS tranny. Personally I think the LS tranny with GSR final drive is the best overall tranny for track/daily use.
Old 08-29-2004, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LSD in a LS tranny, worth it or not?? (b16coupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b16coupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You will be infinitely more happy with a non LSD GSR trans than you will with an LS trans with LSD, your car will be a lot quicker with the GSR.</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL, sure he will!

This isn't the All-motor forum, bro. On the street, if you've done anything remotely right, LS trans with "**** gearing" attached to LS engine with "**** for power" will leave you with no traction into third. I don't see how dropping gearing further with a VTEC gearbox makes you a happy camper in the traction deptartment, versus an LSD in the LS gearbox.

Now at the track, on big fat fuggin slicks with big fat fuggin axles making big balla fat fuggin power levels, it's been proven that the VTEC boxes are faster, until you start making over 500 whp (that figure varies a bit up + down depending on vehicle weight).
Old 08-29-2004, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: LSD in a LS tranny, worth it or not?? (J. Davis)

i have a free LS tranny and an ITR LSD that im gonna stick with.
car will be ~1850lbs with me in it when its done, so i think i will be just fine.

just need to find some all motor guy with a leftover 4.4 set....
Old 08-30-2004, 05:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LSD in a LS tranny, worth it or not?? (J. Davis)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by J. Davis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

LOL, sure he will!

This isn't the All-motor forum, bro. On the street, if you've done anything remotely right, LS trans with "**** gearing" attached to LS engine with "**** for power" will leave you with no traction into third. I don't see how dropping gearing further with a VTEC gearbox makes you a happy camper in the traction deptartment, versus an LSD in the LS gearbox.

Now at the track, on big fat fuggin slicks with big fat fuggin axles making big balla fat fuggin power levels, it's been proven that the VTEC boxes are faster, until you start making over 500 whp (that figure varies a bit up + down depending on vehicle weight).</TD></TR></TABLE>

exactly
Old 08-30-2004, 05:35 PM

Sorry to interrupt this topic but need to get in touch to MR.DC2turbo. I'm interested in buying your HONDATA S200 and their no other means by me right now to get a hold of you. I'm a triall user and cannot PM or join discussion until I post enought. COuld you please get back to me at sly_mtl2001@hotmail.com. Only need to know if Harness is OBD2a or OBD2B. Thanks and sorry once again to join in another discussion