Notices

which LSD???

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 11:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default which LSD???

i've heard much debate on how a factory LSD compares to an aftermarket one like Quaife...

what do you guys recommend (esp for turbo applications)?

the LSD would be for a JDM gsr. factory LSD or Quaife???
Old 03-22-2004, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: which LSD??? (pgpunkguy)

Well, I am personally using the Kaaz LSD. After I did the reccommended break-in, and put about 1000 miles on it, there is ZERO chatter noise and love the change! Say goodbye to torque steer and hello to being able to put the power down with both wheels....a huge world of difference on twisty roads!

The difference with the Kaaz and Quaife is the Kaaz is a clutch type and Quaife is a gear type. The Quaife can apply toque by a proportion, so the wheel that less traction, it can apply 5 times the torque to the one that does get traction (assuming a 5:1 ratio). The only problem is that if one tire has zero traction, you can't move. The clutch type just locks up both wheels.

Old 03-22-2004, 12:27 PM

Default Re: which LSD??? (Marauder)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Marauder &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">...the Kaaz is a clutch type...</TD></TR></TABLE>

don't you find that the clutch type LSD is too aggressive? (esp for daily driving?)

i know that i drove my friend's JDM type-r with a clutch-type LSD and it was ridiculous to take turns even going normal speeds.

oh, one thing i should mention is that me (and my type-r friend) don't have power steering!!! lol so i think i'm gonna stay clear from the clutch style diffs...

but back to my original question... how would you compare the STOCK LSD to an AFTERMARKET one (like quaife)
Old 03-22-2004, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The LSD has only made turns better. I can put down more power while turning without spinning the right front, like I used to. Other than that, there is no difficultly with turning. Think its just the lack of power steering, the LSD does not affect the difficultly of turning.

I have no experience with factory LSD untis.
Old 03-22-2004, 02:14 PM

Default Re: which LSD??? (Marauder)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Marauder &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">...Think its just the lack of power steering...</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah it's DEFINATELY the lack of power steering.
because with an clutch type diff, your left arm will get a heavy workout from taking turns.

going into turns isn't so bad, it's coming out of turns that the lsd wants to straighten out as fast as possible... and without power steering you have to fight it to come out of the turn smoothly.
Old 03-22-2004, 02:15 PM

anybody have experience with factory LSD's?
Old 03-22-2004, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quaiffe
Old 03-22-2004, 02:20 PM

Default Re: which LSD??? (SpoolnG2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SpoolnG2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Quaiffe </TD></TR></TABLE>

do you have one?
Old 03-22-2004, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pgpunkguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">because with an clutch type diff, your left arm will get a heavy workout from taking turns.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I actually find it way easier to turn.....I have to fight more g-forces since I can take them faster!
Old 03-22-2004, 03:15 PM

I have Quaiffe in my H22, it's nice! I paid extra when I bought my swap. I would suggest the factory Honda Quaiffe LSD
Old 03-23-2004, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, I have one.
Old 03-23-2004, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: which LSD??? (SpoolnG2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SpoolnG2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yes, I have one.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hmmm...you have one....you reccommend one....why not tell us how you like it! Or can you only give short answers?
Old 03-23-2004, 11:22 AM

Default Re: which LSD??? (slim9300)

The LSD is sweet, when I hit corners hard and one of the wheels starts to lose traction, I just get on it some more and it's like launching out of the corner as both wheels hook up. On launches it's ok, but that's because I have MAD wheel hop even with the DTR Traction Bar. But if I bought some drag slicks or radials it would be OK. I promise you that if you buy the factory LSD you won't be unsatisified, you will be faster in the corners and quicker off the line. How can you lose?
Old 03-23-2004, 07:03 PM

i'm thinking it'd be cheaper if i get the factory lsd, than buying an aftermarket one. so far, nobody has given any significant reason why an aftermarket diff would be THAT much better than a factory one.

slim and spooln, do you guys have power steering with your lsd setup? if not, do you find it at all difficult to turn the wheel with the lsd?
Old 03-23-2004, 07:48 PM

I think the biggest thing is going to be the amount of power the aftermarkit can take over the factory lsd. If your not going to be putting down a lot of power then the factory would be alright. One cool thing about a Quaiffe is the life time warranty.
Old 03-23-2004, 09:15 PM

Default Re: which LSD??? (15psi of fun)

My factory LSD is Quaife.

And I don't have power steering and turning isn't any worse then any other non P/S car. I believe that clutch pack LSD is the only type that makes turning more difficult.
Old 03-23-2004, 09:26 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slim9300 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My factory LSD is Quaife.</TD></TR></TABLE>

are you sure, i dont think honda installed Quaife lsd's at the factory.

i would go with quaife for the simple fact that they have alifetime waranty and they dont need to be rebuilt.

Landon
Old 03-23-2004, 09:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: which LSD??? (boosted_dc2)

a little bit o/t and newb related.
But would a factory lsd (such as the one found in itr, and jdm trannies) bolt up to a bseries trans, such as the LS trans? And if so, wouldnt this be a cheaper alternative than the quaife? (although i do realize, the quaife would probably take a pounding alot better)
Old 03-23-2004, 10:54 PM

Default Re: which LSD??? (boosted_dc2)

Maybe I will look it up, but I am almost positive that factory Honda LSD is Quaife style. I am pretty sure that Quaife is actually a type of LSD (ie. a method of creating limited slip) and that there are other brands that may make a stronger types of Quaife LSD. Dammit, actually I think that both would be considered Torsen LSD's. Damn, I am kinda confused, maybe they use the same Torsen concept and Quaife is just a name.
Old 03-24-2004, 05:45 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slim9300 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Maybe I will look it up, but I am almost positive that factory Honda LSD is Quaife style. I am pretty sure that Quaife is actually a type of LSD (ie. a method of creating limited slip) and that there are other brands that may make a stronger types of Quaife LSD. Dammit, actually I think that both would be considered Torsen LSD's. Damn, I am kinda confused, maybe they use the same Torsen concept and Quaife is just a name. </TD></TR></TABLE>
The Quaife Differential is a torque-biasing gear differential. Honda NEVER used a quaife in any of its cars. The honda LSD is a clutch type LSD.
both are good. but the quaife never needs a rebuild, has a FULL lifetime warrinty even under racing codetions. and I have personaly seen several honda LSD come apart and destroy transmissons under high power applications

just my take on it
Old 03-24-2004, 07:21 AM

Default Re: which LSD??? (EK2NR)

here's a little write-up my friend sent me through email: (mind the spelling )

about lsd, there are 3 types, mechanical(helical, gears), clutch, and viscious cupling. most factory honda lsd uses mechanical which has no maintainance. the clutch type like my jdmR has to be maintain like changing oil and replacing the clutch. KASS LSD are clutch, they are better for road racing when one wheel comes off the ground and landing hard which could brake a mechanical LSD. Quaife is a mechanica LSD which is better for drag racing, but is still good for track race because it is alot stronger than stock lsd and they also have life time warrenty even when use for race. the clutch type are more aggressive on preload then the mechanical. my crx had mechanical lsd and it wasn't that bad. clutch type can be set at different hardness level.
Old 03-24-2004, 07:22 AM

btw, his crx was an si with a b16a swap and t3/t4b drag gen3 turbo. i think i have pics of it somewhere...
Old 03-24-2004, 09:16 AM

Default Re: which LSD??? (EK2NR)

Here you go, this will help you out with the types of LSD's and how they work.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential.htm
Old 03-24-2004, 09:28 AM

yeah, that howstuffworks site is pretty sick.

do you think the factory LSD is good enough for turbo apps???
with all that added torque, i'm wondering if the factory LSD is good enough...

as for pics of my friend's crx, it's the one to the right of my civic in my avatar... lol
...actually i don't have those pics of my computer at the moment...
Old 03-24-2004, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im sure this is a stupid question.....what the price difference on the quaffie and kazz lsd's

Quick Reply: which LSD???