Notices

LS rods, direct drop in to d16

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 06:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS rods, direct drop in to d16

Since I am going to be pulling the head this weekend and replacing the blown rings, I got thinking about dropping LS rods in because I thought I remember them being a direct drop in. I know that the block would have to be notched, but does anyone know if LS rods in a d16y7 are "plug and play".
Old 03-11-2004, 07:02 AM
GSRswapandslow.

the LS rods take a lot of macheiene work to "drop in"

you'd end up spending just as much money, it not a little more, than going with some nice eagles.
Old 03-11-2004, 08:56 AM

what kind of machine work?
Old 03-11-2004, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Pfieffdog)

LS rods do require machine work for a D16 engine.

1. yoiu must bush the wristpin to except the 19m mpin of a d16 piston

2. you must thin down the rods where it goes around the crank. (to let it fit between the weights of the crank.

3.once rebushed for a small wrist pin, yo uhave to use a floating wristpin design ie: aftermarket. the press fit of stock pistons wont fly.

if i had to do it again i would buy eagles. I didn;t have to notch my block but would have without second thoughts. I did save some money, not much thought. My rods now will hold the 250 *TOPS* if i can get the much HP, so i guess a penny saved is a penny earned you make the call.

now for the pic.
Old 03-11-2004, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turbo sol)

I have a suspicion that the 96-98 GX piston, PDN's, are a PM7 unit with a 21mm wristpin. No funky machining stock pistons for floating pins, or rebushing the small end. Just mill the LS big end atouch and go.

This doesn't help the turbo guys much, but it makes fitting a "stock" piston into a ZC with LS rod for high CR or mild boost use very easy. It also makes for a nice high CR high RPM D16 rod.

Keep in mind, I haven't ever touched a PDN piston. I do plan to, I touch every ZC locally.
Old 03-11-2004, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (J. Davis)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by J. Davis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a suspicion that the 96-98 GX piston, PDN's, are a PM7 unit with a 21mm wristpin. No funky machining stock pistons for floating pins, or rebushing the small end. Just mill the LS big end atouch and go.

This doesn't help the turbo guys much, but it makes fitting a "stock" piston into a ZC with LS rod for high CR or mild boost use very easy. It also makes for a nice high CR high RPM D16 rod.

Keep in mind, I haven't ever touched a PDN piston. I do plan to, I touch every ZC locally. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Very interesting setup, so 96-98 GX rod, are 137 mm long, with 21 mm wrist pin ??
I will do some search about this cause I want to use bigger OEM Honda rod into my setup, my choice was LS up to date, but you just seem to bring a new solution in this thing.

good info
Kranked
Old 03-11-2004, 12:29 PM

Default Re: (kranked91dx)

too bad your factory rods dont look like This (cut/paste into new browswer window to view)

http://www.imagestation.com/pi...g.jpg

bolts are 10MM stock and torque to 25 ft/lbs (bigger than 3/8) (25/64th inch)

Modified by lazerus at 6:15 PM 3/11/2004
Old 03-11-2004, 04:54 PM

you know D16 rods are a drop in for the D16 engine...
Old 03-11-2004, 04:55 PM
TurboJesse

Default Re: (Eviloliv3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eviloliv3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you know D16 rods are a drop in for the D16 engine...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for the tech post suck my dick
Old 03-12-2004, 11:17 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eviloliv3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you know D16 rods are a drop in for the D16 engine...</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's an educated response.
Old 03-12-2004, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that answer demonstrate a very wide knowledge of Honda Internal component

thank's for your support *** hole.

Kranked
Old 03-23-2004, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm trying to figure out how to do this LS rods thing... Shaving down the big ends is a walk in the park on a milling machine. 1/2mm on each side or something, I'll get the calipers out once I get a set of rods...

However the wristpin problem has me puzzled. Apparently crower makes some bushings for fitting these rods but I haven't been able to find them. Loads of people have put LS rods in their D16's so someone must know how it's done. If you go to a floating pin, how do you keep the pin in the piston? Which pin do people use?

-Michael
Old 03-23-2004, 08:45 AM
SYD
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hackish)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hackish &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm trying to figure out how to do this LS rods thing... Shaving
However the wristpin problem has me puzzled. Apparently crower makes some bushings for fitting these rods but I haven't been able to find them. Loads of people have put LS rods in their D16's so someone must know how it's done. If you go to a floating pin, how do you keep the pin in the piston? Which pin do people use?
-Michael</TD></TR></TABLE>

... a notch or groove can be cut in the piston allowing a lock pin to be inserted...
Old 03-23-2004, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bruceleeroy)

i went with after market pistons.
Old 03-23-2004, 11:15 AM
GSRswapandslow.

then go with an aftermarket rod
Old 03-24-2004, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Ej6andslow)

the choice to use aftermarket pistons with my LS Rods, were:

1. the money; yes they are cheaper to do than eagles
2. I got a killer deal on the pistons themselves
3. I like the idea behind the floating pin more than the press fit.

my argument if you want it is.

money isnt growing on trees, different people have different goals, stock rods have been proven to make decent amounts of reliable power (esp the b series rods).

If i went with aftermarket rods, where do you draw the line, under that premise you shoudl also sleeve your block, and build your head, don't forget the dry sump oil system. it would never end.

Old 03-24-2004, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Dry sumping your engine is the first modification anyone should make; even before you get a CAI.
Old 03-24-2004, 07:22 AM
SYD
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbo sol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
If i went with aftermarket rods, where do you draw the line, under that premise you shoudl also sleeve your block, and build your head, don't forget the dry sump oil system. it would never end.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL...u serious?..dont u think your going a little overboard with the dry sump?..i hope that was sarcasm..

Modified by bruceleeroy at 11:39 AM 3/24/2004
Old 03-24-2004, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I got some a6 rods that, I hear are the strongest of the d series. PM if you interested.

Nick
Old 03-24-2004, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Sinner)

yes i was be sarcastic to prove a point, you can go forever. my car isnt a race car its my daily driver. I dont have all the money in the world either.

like i said where do you draw the line.
Old 03-24-2004, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I thought the A1 rods were stronger than the A6. I've got a D16A6.

Thing that I'm arguing is that the cost of the LS rods is within $100 of the cost for eagle. If I'm not mistaken the eagles can accept the press fit pins and can therefore accept the stock pistons. My aim is to make about 200hp and I've got proper engine management.

-Michael
Old 03-24-2004, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check into the eagle wrist pin situation.

as far as the a1 vs the a6. I have heard all d series rods are pretty equal. some are slightly larger, but they are older rods and I have read that their metal compositon isn't as good as the newer rods that are slightly thinner. thus giving them apx. the same strength.

good luck
Old 03-25-2004, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Someone on d-series suggested going with the LS rods and getting aftermarket pistons that already have a floating 21mm pin. That makes a whole whackload of sense. It means having the rods milled down a little. That's like 1 operation and isn't likely to cost all that much.

-Michael
Old 03-25-2004, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if you can find the right piston then that would be a good option.

one of those options is the civic GX pistons. they have a 21mm pin and the right bore. the only problem is that they yeild high compression.

I am sure if you look around you can find soem other options for pistons
Old 03-25-2004, 06:51 AM

Why not just get a set of eagle rods? those LS rods arent much better than a D16 rod, they still look like tooth picks and are still aheemm "cast" and will still break pretty easy under stress....you can get eagle rods that will hold a lot more power and be less of a pain in the *** to install, and they will hold more than just 50 more hp over stock d16 rods...I got a set for 305 bucks, cant get much better than that....I just dont get the whole LS rod in D16 thing...its cheap but seems like a headache and worthless....

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sinner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I got some a6 rods that, I hear are the strongest of the d series. PM if you interested.</TD></TR></TABLE>

They are the same??? Same material, same thickness, still look like a tooth pick...and still will fail easily at 200+....you should only give them away, I threw mine away, I figured wtf would someone want with stock a6 rods, they are junk if you plan on making good power....

Quick Reply: LS rods, direct drop in to d16