Ls made extra 70 whp with gsr map...

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls made extra 70 whp with gsr map...

I dyno tuned this car the other day and he gained 70 whp just because I used a gsr map (w/ vtec disabled). This was on uberdata 1.7 since the ls map there was corrupted. The car made 250 whp at 6 psi and it was still running rich. I took it for a test run on the road and it did fine but the next day the car started to bog. I finally found the repack version of uber 1.7 with a working ls basemap. I tuned it with that map and the car only hit 180 whp after that and the car starts bogging alittle near 6800 rpm. Has anyone ever had issues like this or tried this before. I think using the gsr map fried his dizzy. But I'm not sure either since his cap and rotter were crapped out anyways from the start.

His setup (ebay kit by the way):
-93 Ls with over 170,000 miles
-obx headers
-t3/t4 turbo
-2 1/2 inch intercooler pipes
-open dp
-fmic
-750cc injectors
-255 fuel pump
Old 11-28-2006, 01:19 PM
Munkyw3rkz.webs.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Ls made extra 70 whp with gsr map... (Type-X)

who tuned it? i never like uber because a lot of currupting goes down with it from time to time...
should have went with crome, just my thoughts
Old 11-28-2006, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Uberdata is great, you just have to know what you're doing. If you're using a stock ignition map and the AFRs were good the car should not "bog". I've never heard of an ECU program frying a dizzy...
Old 11-28-2006, 03:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lets not make this into a crome vs uber to whatever else thread. Everyone knows or should know if they use the programs that there is a lot or corrupt files and plug ins for each. So don't go there with this.

I doesn't make any sense what you are saying for one, the ignition maps wouldn't effec the power by 70 HP. Now if you tuned it on a straight corrupt LS map, then that is your answer. Open the stock GSR map and then import the P75 map.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (93turbo16)

I can say pro/con for both, although its easier to mess up uber than crome. Crome has just been developed more. Also, the cheapest products tend to attract the dumbest comsumers (no offence to OP or others, just a fact). My uberdata'd sohc idled as good/better than any other STOCK civic I've driven, despite having a full 3" dp/exhaust (dual 3" resonators, no cat/muffler) and 780cc injectors. It also corrupted itself one day from my normal pull-the-chip routine (although I really wowed my whole extended family when I fixed it with my laptop).

Back OT, I'd say it was because the stock LS map was messed up to begin with, or because the GSR map had a shitload more ignition timing than the LS map. If you didn't <U>sync your [idle] timing with the map</U>, that could be an issue too. If your LS map was running 4* less than the GSR map, and your base timing was 4* off, that'd put the GSR map where your motor should be.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:56 PM

Default Re: (HiProfile)

I would say you tuned it, then something happend (bad) which caused it to start to bog, then when you retuned it, that bad thing was still there and you made a lot less horsepower because you didnt fix the bad (mechanical) thing

sorry, didnt mean to get all technical and $hit
Old 11-28-2006, 07:10 PM

Default Re: (xenocron)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xenocron &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would say you tuned it, then something happend (bad) which caused it to start to bog, then when you retuned it, that bad thing was still there and you made a lot less horsepower because you didnt fix the bad (mechanical) thing

sorry, didnt mean to get all technical and $hit </TD></TR></TABLE>

Haha, I agree with that as well.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (xenocron)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xenocron &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would say you tuned it, then something happend (bad) which caused it to start to bog, then when you retuned it, that bad thing was still there and you made a lot less horsepower because you didnt fix the bad (mechanical) thing

sorry, didnt mean to get all technical and $hit </TD></TR></TABLE>
That's what I was thinking too. Casue a CEL popped up the next day when I finnally tuned with the ls map. The code said something about the ignition coil. So it had to have been the distibutor. But 250 whp on 6psi. This was a stock ls. I did three dyno runs and they all showed up in the 250 whp range. If the ignition map helped improve the car that much than we should all be tunning with vtec ignition maps on non vtec cars. Then again it might mess up the distributor and casue the car to start bogging. Has anyone ever done this and had similare results. Please share with me...
Old 11-29-2006, 09:28 AM

Default Re: (Type-X)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Type-X &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
That's what I was thinking too. Casue a CEL popped up the next day when I finnally tuned with the ls map. The code said something about the ignition coil. So it had to have been the distibutor. But 250 whp on 6psi. This was a stock ls. I did three dyno runs and they all showed up in the 250 whp range. If the ignition map helped improve the car that much than we should all be tunning with vtec ignition maps on non vtec cars. Then again it might mess up the distributor and casue the car to start bogging. Has anyone ever done this and had similare results. Please share with me...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I really don't see an LS making 250 whp at 6 psi, check your boost monitoring device. And no, we shouldn't all start tuning non-vtec cars on vtec ignition maps. BTW, they are about the same peak values anyway.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ls made extra 70 whp with gsr map... (Type-X)

maybe u were run n too much timing with the LS map and the nonvtec GSR map lets u run less timing
Old 11-29-2006, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ECUs don't mess up distributors.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nonvtecD)

Ignition timing being off can DEFINATELY lead to a 70 whp loss.

Sounds like the dizzy started going bad (coincidence) causing improper timing(retarded) and low power as a result...
New distributor= accurate timing= regained HP

My opinion.....