Notices

Lowest whp turbo b16 in the country

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 04:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Lowest whp turbo b16 in the country

Originally Posted by theYBLEGAL
If you want to blow out your seals or starve your seals, use improper fittings. If you want the turbo to last, use the proper fitting.

I'd say a dyno tune augments a street tune. You need both. Buddy had a dyno tune, went out racing, and all of a sudden he's super rich. You know why? They didn't tune heat soak on the dyno. Street tune to the rescue.

Dude could have picked up faster times just by street tuning boost by gear, which involves no air fuel or ignition adjustments whatsoever. Maybe he got stickier tires, and upped boost in 3rd gear or somethin.

Just saying. Without a full picture, we're all ASSuming

Final numbers on 9psi. I was really hoping to get into the 240ish range. Does 200whp seem right for a stock b16a2?
Old 10-01-2015, 06:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin Campbell

Final numbers on 9psi. I was really hoping to get into the 240ish range. Does 200whp seem right for a stock b16a2?
You tuned on stock injectors again? If so 200 is about all they are going to do.
Old 10-01-2015, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Dark_Teg
You tuned on stock injectors again? If so 200 is about all they are going to do.
Nah 450cc
Old 10-01-2015, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nah 450cc
Man that's crazy. Something just isn't right.
Old 10-01-2015, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Timing belt off a tooth maybe?
Old 10-01-2015, 11:48 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

That turbo at 9psi should make more than that. Unless your tuner just goes super ***** on timing advance. It looks like he also started the pull late. Most people running the same size turbos start pulls around 2k to give the turbo more time to generate pressure. Also because they tune low in the rpm range for street driving. Did your tuner even do any sub 3k tuning or do any street tuning after? If not you got less than half a tune. Street tuning is necessary because you can't simulate that kind of load on a dyno.

Why not run more pressure? The engine can take it. Granted you would have to replace the OEM map sensor because they don't read past 11psi.
Old 10-01-2015, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Post your bin or skl or ncl, or screenshots of your fuel and timing maps? High and low cam maps please.

My B16 made 145whp/114tq, stock. And it compression tested at like 182 across the board. You are not the first person I've seen say they've tested 200+ on a compression test. That just doesn't make sense to me. Unless all my motors are shitty, or my tool is ****-poor... but the Honda manual says a healthy B16 would compression test at 184psi. Every Honda I've tested has never been higher than manual quoted spec unless oil is added to the cylinder. So, how you'd get higher, idk.

Now, my B16, just rebuilt with slightly higher piston to wall clearance and gapped rings, at 11:1 compression (turbo), made 178psi across the board. And runs very strong, albeit no dyno yet, only street tune/butt dyno.
Old 10-01-2015, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Post your bin or skl or ncl, or screenshots of your fuel and timing maps? High and low cam maps please.

My B16 made 145whp/114tq, stock. And it compression tested at like 182 across the board. You are not the first person I've seen say they've tested 200+ on a compression test. That just doesn't make sense to me. Unless all my motors are shitty, or my tool is ****-poor... but the Honda manual says a healthy B16 would compression test at 184psi. Every Honda I've tested has never been higher than manual quoted spec unless oil is added to the cylinder. So, how you'd get higher, idk.

Now, my B16, just rebuilt with slightly higher piston to wall clearance and gapped rings, at 11:1 compression (turbo), made 178psi across the board. And runs very strong, albeit no dyno yet, only street tune/butt dyno.
He did not street tune and we started with a 8psi spring that made 6.5psi at the manifold he did low cam and high cam at that psi it made 177whp. So I added another 4psi spring on top of the 8psi and it was 9.5 at the manifold. I didn't get any paper work or anything not even a dyno print out as you can see I took that with my phone. I have a aem fail safe gauge so I know the Afr is 11.2 in boost which seems low to me but he said that's were I want it. Idk he tunes 3-8 cars a week there so I know he knows how to tune but maybe I'm wrong. His buddy showed up and needed the dyno for his 240 so I got kicked off after 2 runs at 9psi
Old 10-01-2015, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
Timing belt off a tooth maybe?
It's right on I just checked it after you said that? Could a valve adjustment cause that much power loss? I have full exhaust straight to a yonoka muffler but my down pipe is 2.5" is this hurting me?
Old 10-01-2015, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

He did not street tune and we started with a 8psi spring that made 6.5psi at the manifold he did low cam and high cam at that psi it made 177whp. So I added another 4psi spring on top of the 8psi and it was 9.5 at the manifold. I didn't get any paper work or anything not even a dyno print out as you can see I took that with my phone. I have a aem fail safe gauge so I know the Afr is 11.2 in boost which seems low to me but he said that's were I want it. Idk he tunes 3-8 cars a week there so I know he knows how to tune but maybe I'm wrong. His buddy showed up and needed the dyno for his 240 so I got kicked off after 2 runs at 9psi
Idk why you started with the comment about street tuning, as that really doesn't apply.

He made some changes to something. You have an engine manament system. It is possible for it to be read, and uploaded here, so we can review it. However, I understand you may not have the hardware to do so.

Usually you'd start with conservative timing, perhaps he was a ***** about adding timing, but 2 runs is BS anyway, not gonna make a ton of progress on an untuned car thatt fast.
Old 10-01-2015, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Idk why you started with the comment about street tuning, as that really doesn't apply.

He made some changes to something. You have an engine manament system. It is possible for it to be read, and uploaded here, so we can review it. However, I understand you may not have the hardware to do so.

Usually you'd start with conservative timing, perhaps he was a ***** about adding timing, but 2 runs is BS anyway, not gonna make a ton of progress on an untuned car thatt fast.
He made 10 runs but yea 2 were at 9psi. I know he added timing just not sure how much. He said he put all the number he could in it and it's running good so he doesn't want to turn it up any more. I just rechecked the compression with a new tester and it was 189,180,185,200
And I was asked if he made adjustments on the street that's why I said that no street tuning was done. Ill take it to get street tuned and see what happens but the street tuner won't tune on chrome so I would be starting over.
Old 10-01-2015, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh. I thought the dyno graphs were telling enough on the street tuning. But gotcha.

Really, looking at your ignition maps isn't very telling anyway, just wanted to see if it was smooth at least.

Crazy comp test #s. It is a B16? Not a B18 block? lol

I mean, if for some reason you were a lower comp B18, that may be more reasonable and all numbers sorta fit better... Just the turbo would have to be small for 9psi to not make much torque. But, I can't imagine you read the block stamp wrong.
Old 10-01-2015, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You need to go elsewhere.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:45 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

What's up with all the b16 users getting trashed by tuners recently? First the ariel atom clone guy, then the constant misfire guy, now this ****.
Seriously b16 owners must be cursed
Old 10-01-2015, 09:09 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

You shouldn't have that much pressure drop unless your intercooler is undersized and/or a Chinese piece of ****. Either that or you have a giant boost leak somewhere. At the pressure levels you're running you should see about a .5psi difference between turbocharger outlet pressure and intake manifold pressure. A 12psi spring will make at least 12psi unless what I mentioned above is a factor. Or you have a mechanical timing issue.

Either way you have a SERIOUS PROBLEM.
Old 10-01-2015, 11:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VegaS10
You need to go elsewhere.
Old 10-02-2015, 01:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 96 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Geasa
What's up with all the b16 users getting trashed by tuners recently? First the ariel atom clone guy, then the constant misfire guy, now this ****.
Seriously b16 owners must be cursed

sheeitt,...... i know a b16 owner with no problems
Old 10-02-2015, 05:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh. I thought the dyno graphs were telling enough on the street tuning. But gotcha.

Really, looking at your ignition maps isn't very telling anyway, just wanted to see if it was smooth at least.

Crazy comp test #s. It is a B16? Not a B18 block? lol

I mean, if for some reason you were a lower comp B18, that may be more reasonable and all numbers sorta fit better... Just the turbo would have to be small for 9psi to not make much torque. But, I can't imagine you read the block stamp wrong.
It's a b16a2 I pulled it out of a wrecked si myself. So I talked to my buddy last night who tuned there and he made 192whp on 12psi 50trim eBay turbo and wasn't happy and made him lean it out some so he did and it made 212whp. Still unhappy he went to the street tuner I was talking about had him go from crome to Neptune and went back to the dyno after it made 266whp. Went from a 9.7 1/8 mile to a 8.4 all on the same setup so I have a feeling this is tuner related. My buddy said he tunes super rich and "safe" so you can beat the crap out of it and it won't blow because of the tune atleast.
Old 10-02-2015, 05:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 10-02-2015, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 96 Likes on 86 Posts

It's a b16a2 I pulled it out of a wrecked si myself. So I talked to my buddy last night who tuned there and he made 192whp on 12psi 50trim eBay turbo and wasn't happy and made him lean it out some so he did and it made 212whp. Still unhappy he went to the street tuner I was talking about had him go from crome to Neptune and went back to the dyno after it made 266whp. Went from a 9.7 1/8 mile to a 8.4 all on the same setup so I have a feeling this is tuner related. My buddy said he tunes super rich and "safe" so you can beat the crap out of it and it won't blow because of the tune atleast.
whats your sea level elevation
Old 10-02-2015, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Depending on your budget, you have two tuners in your area that you may have better luck with.

James Mills, or Howard at RLZ.

If you want to travel a bit further, there is TCS.

Further? Joseph Davis in Asheville.

There is good people in your area, quit going to Phantasm.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by VegaS10
Depending on your budget, you have two tuners in your area that you may have better luck with.

James Mills, or Howard at RLZ.

If you want to travel a bit further, there is TCS.

Further? Joseph Davis in Asheville.

There is good people in your area, quit going to Phantasm.
TCS is actually the closest tuner to me and the one I said I wanted to street tune it. I live in Burlington. I just talked to my tuner he says he put a lot of timing in it and it's mostly related to my setup, the small down pipe to exhaust, smaller fmic & piping. He said if I can get it to flow better and upgrade the head studs and add more boost I'll make my 240 mark. I don't want to drag this post out any longer cause it becoming pretty pointless so I'll upgrade some parts and go to TCS and see what I end up with. Thank for the help.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:34 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Yea I find it very telling that your tuner didn't comment on the huge pressure drop. It isn't normal. What sort of boost controller are you using? And where is your pressure reference source for the wastegate?

There IS a difference between a conservative tuner and a scared tuner. You have the latter apparently. On forced induction vehicles peak torque is made at an AFR of 12.5:1. Anything richer than that is just ***** footing around. I still don't understand why people tune things super rich all the way to even 10:1 and call it "normal".
Old 10-02-2015, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

TCS is actually the closest tuner to me and the one I said I wanted to street tune it. I live in Burlington. I just talked to my tuner he says he put a lot of timing in it and it's mostly related to my setup, the small down pipe to exhaust, smaller fmic & piping. He said if I can get it to flow better and upgrade the head studs and add more boost I'll make my 240 mark. I don't want to drag this post out any longer cause it becoming pretty pointless so I'll upgrade some parts and go to TCS and see what I end up with. Thank for the help.
I made more power than that on a stock LS with 2" IC piping, a skunk2 catback (60mm), 2.5" downpipe etc. Stop listening to this guy and go somewhere else.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

take it to RLZ in concord. Low reading dyno but itll make more power and run right.

Jason wadsworth in Durham at Central NC Speed tuned my old b16 to 290/190 at 9psi on a 28rs. He is also close by and will give you a good tune as well.

J davis is a drive but will do a good job too.

Quick Reply: Lowest whp turbo b16 in the country