Notices

Losing Compression in ALL 4....turbo Si

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2002, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Losing Compression in ALL 4....turbo Si

Well guys,
Im not sure where to start. Ive been hapily boosted for over a year now. Drag Kit, 310CCs, Inline pump, VAFC, vortech FMU.

the car runs like CHAMP. i run 6lbs daily, and when i spike i spike to 7-7.5lbs. my car has NEVER seen 8lbs in its life.

I did a compression test today, and i was not pleased. 150, 180, 180, 180

So i started to think of possibiliities. The car is going through oil fast, but i attribute that to a leaking return line. There is no wierd exhaust smoke, so i rule out a leaking head gasket. the engine has 45,000 miles on it.

I checked the plugs, no sign of detonation. and i change them every 5,000 miles
However recently ive started to hear a tapping, not a ping, not the "rocks in a coffee can" sound. just a tapping at all speeds when on the throttle. its not there at idle.

Im wondering if my valve clearences, or even valve seats have gone bad. i know you should check clearances at 36,000, i never did this.

my question: Will an improper valve clearance, or bad valve seat cause a loss of compression? i am under the impression that it will since it will not seal correctly and allow air to "escape" thus a loss of compression.

finally, i just got a new CTR valve cover, if i did not properly installt his, could THIs cause a loss of compression due to the valve cover gasket? can anyone else give me some leads

like i said the car still runs GREAT! no problems, BOOSTs like a champ, runs like a champ. never stalls, never sputters, perfect idle, always starts etc etc....

im really confused, please help

the engine is a '00 B16
Old 11-09-2002, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Losing Compression in ALL 4....turbo Si (NYb16)

come on fella's
Old 11-09-2002, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would reccomend doind a leakdown test...help determine the problem more efficiently than compression test.

This site is really useful

http://www.xs11.com/tips/misc/misc3.shtml
Old 11-09-2002, 01:06 PM
New User

you could try doing a cylinder leak down to see where you are losing compression on NO. 1 cylinder. If its in the rings you will find that air is coming out of the oil return galley in the cylinder head, if its the intake valve then you will find that air is coming out of the throttle body, and for the exhaust valve the exhaust. things to make sure of while performing this procedure is to have the throttle propped fully open and to have the motor at top dead of whatever cylinder you are checking. any questions you can email me at redkevin22@aol.com
Old 11-09-2002, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Losing Compression in ALL 4....turbo Si (RedKevin79)

hey thanks for the help kevin....

anyone else have any other suggestions, im hoping i can find time to do a leak down tommorow.....
Old 11-09-2002, 02:33 PM

finally, i just got a new CTR valve cover, if i did not properly installt his, could THIs cause a loss of compression due to the valve cover gasket? can anyone else give me some leads
no, espically not if the type of compression tester you're using is the screw in type (instead of holding it in there) As for the bad valve seat, I'm not 100% sure, I'm sure it would leak out some, but not sure how much. But you can erase the valve cover idea.
Old 11-09-2002, 03:48 PM

. . .
the car runs like CHAMP. . .
Aww, dude dont say that. Isnt the saying that usaully your motor runs its best right before it blows Good luck man.

[Modified by AVATAR, 12:48 AM 11/10/2002]
Old 11-09-2002, 03:59 PM

Your Piston Rings are probably going south,stock honda rings are low tension(for mpg reasons) and are really not meant for boosting but i wouldnt change em until the motor is really hurting,then rebuild it with some nice forged pistons and moly coated rings...you could try using a heavy oil in it too slow the oil burning down,as for the tapping,after u adjust the valves,if its still doing it,u might be changing those rings sooner than you think,could be a broken ring land,spun bearing,wrist pin,etc,but you wont really know until you take it apart.
Old 11-09-2002, 05:25 PM

Default Re: Losing Compression in ALL 4....turbo Si (D-Man)

i broke my ring lands and bent the valves a little. I found by doing a dyno run, stock motor should pull a 230hp to wheels. I pulled a 160hp, 1st blown motor, cheap rebuild pulled 188hp at 8 hp. bad rings. comp test 50, 50, 40, 100. 2nd time 150, 150, 120 150. piston 2 hit the head. Time to rip it apart. My car had trouble starting, 1st sign of bad comp.
Old 11-09-2002, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Losing Compression in ALL 4....turbo Si (321)

what oil weight would you guys reccomend, the car is being put away for the winter so its not gonna see much action for a few months. looks like it wont see much action for quite sometime if i have to buy rings, pistons, rods etc

but like i said, i was just out driving it not 5 mins ago, and it still pulls as hard as day one with NO problems. i boost 5-6lbs daily. with correct fuel delivery. im going to check my clearances hopefully tommorow and see if that doesnt have anything to do with it, then i plan on a leak down test.

how much am i looking at for rings?

[Modified by NYb16, 11:02 PM 11/9/2002]
Old 11-09-2002, 08:18 PM

what oil weight would you guys reccomend, the car is being put away for the winter so its not gonna see much action for a few months.
id say as long as it aint to cold out,run 20w50

how much am i looking at for rings?
just the rings? or rings and labor? if its just the rings,under 100.
Old 11-09-2002, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Losing Compression in ALL 4....turbo Si (D-Man)

put a teaspoon of brand new S.A.E grade 30 oil into each cylinder and retest. If the readings increase considerably then it might be poorly seated or worn piston rings....if the readings remain about the same then the fault lies somewhere in the valve train or associated components.
Old 11-09-2002, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Losing Compression in ALL 4....turbo Si (SO3Burner)

when i pore the teaspoon in, do i just simply remove the spark plug, drop in the teaspoon of oil then screw my compression tester in and test again?

just want to make sure i hae the procedure correct. ive also heard "capfull" is this to much? half a cap?
Old 11-10-2002, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

when i pore the teaspoon in, do i just simply remove the spark plug, drop in the teaspoon of oil then screw my compression tester in and test again?

just want to make sure i hae the procedure correct. ive also heard "capfull" is this to much? half a cap?
Sounds right do it to all of them then post your results. Use a capful or teaspoon theres not really much difference there. Its only going to smoke more when youre dont and you start it (the more oil you put in it). Just let it burn off.
Old 11-10-2002, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

UPDATE:

I just put a cap full into Cylnder #1 and the numbers went right back to where they should be (200-210)

so i guess we've determined that it is the Rings. My question is, i dont have my winter beater yet, but is it still safe to drive? i dont have another car yet!

finally, ive heard that Total Seal are just absolute junk, can anyone suggest a ring for me?

thanks for all that have helped so far!
Old 11-10-2002, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i think in your situation you can drive it..just dont drive hard and or dont boost
Old 11-10-2002, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Losing Compression in ALL 4....turbo Si (SiRkid)

yea, im not detonating (that i know of) im just getting some oil slipping by the rings.....will this cause LONG term damage if i drive it for another few weeks?

looks like im turning the boost down
Old 11-10-2002, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

??
Old 11-11-2002, 07:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Up for the monday crew
Old 11-11-2002, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm going to try the oil thing too ... I hate compression tests
Old 11-11-2002, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yea, im not detonating (that i know of) im just getting some oil slipping by the rings.....will this cause LONG term damage if i drive it for another few weeks?

looks like im turning the boost down
You shouldnt hurt anything either short or long term but look at it this way you have a good opportunity to upgrade to stronger internal components. Try to save money for sleeving, pistons and rods. Use Christmas money, do whatever...

Trust me, its all worth it when youre boosting at higher levels and saying "HOLY F*&%ING ****!! THIS CAR F*&%ING HAULS ***!!!"

I recommend doing the rebuild all at once incl resleeving, pistons and rods. That way youll never say I should have done it when I had the chance. Its piece of mind really.

Old 11-11-2002, 08:15 AM

I don't think you should drive it because if one of the rings are cracked, then it could score the sleeve, and then it will cost more to fix cause you will have to replace the sleeve too. There was someone on this board that had cracked their ring and it scratched the sleeve.
Old 11-11-2002, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Losing Compression in ALL 4....turbo Si (youngkow)

I think hes going to rebuild from reading another post of his...
Old 11-13-2002, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

UPDATE

As per the recomandation of S03Burner, i Re-did my compression test. This time i did when my car was at operating temp, and i put the pedal to the floor to fully open my Throttle body, last time i did it and i got the low #s, my car was cold and throttle plate was closed.

to my surprise my #s went right back up to where they should be. i only did two cylinders cause i had to run to class but both were reading 208, 210 (#1 and #2 Cyl)

So i guess my compression is fine

HOWEVER,
When i pulled out my two plugs they were starting to look a little white, this concerns me. i have never changed my fuel set up, and they have always been fine, why would they suddenly change?

LASTLY,
Im getting some oil on my fuel rail, and i source that its coming from my breather valve on my valve cover.....what would cause oil drops/residue to come out of this ....blowby? this brings me back to my original problem

how can i be blowing out if my compression seems to be fine, this leads me to believe my rings are in good shape! help guys im really stumped

[Modified by NYb16, 12:45 PM 11/13/2002]
Old 11-13-2002, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

B to da Izzzump

Quick Reply: Losing Compression in ALL 4....turbo Si