Notices

loosing coolant?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default loosing coolant?

guys ive got a 400hp dc2. i seem to be loosing water from my rad! yet my oil seems ok ie no water mixed in with it. whats the score? is it evaporating because of the high temps the turbo is emitting seeing as it right next to the radiator?

ive no external leaks that i can see, no puddles or drips anywhere, car runs fine.

could my rad cap have gone?

please help as i know you guys have a lot of knowledge

cheers
Old 08-01-2007, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: loosing coolant? (B2uce)

Pressure test the system. There are no leaks at all by the rad cap?
Old 08-01-2007, 01:29 PM

^^ yeah ur cap could be **** and might not be able to hold pressure
Old 08-01-2007, 01:31 PM
BCICAN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: loosing coolant? (B2uce)

What headgasket are you using?
Old 08-02-2007, 08:17 AM

Default Re: loosing coolant? (Dunc)

its got a cometic head gasket
Old 08-02-2007, 08:19 AM

Default Re: (1cpu)

i have heard pressure escaping from the rad cap a few times could this be my answer then? New rad cap, ive got a Blitz rad cover on it at the mo

cheers for the replys guys much appreciated
Old 08-02-2007, 05:28 PM
BCICAN

Default Re: (B2uce)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B2uce &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have heard pressure escaping from the rad cap a few times could this be my answer then? New rad cap, ive got a Blitz rad cover on it at the mo

cheers for the replys guys much appreciated </TD></TR></TABLE>

For your issue, I would definitely look at the cap first.

I had a feeling you were going to say Cometic though. I am not saying anything bad about those gaskets....yet. In fact, I've always defended them, but that may change as of this coming Monday/Tuesday.

I've been mysteriously loosing coolant for the last 2 years. It recently started getting slightly worse. It started after I had sleeved the block....and guess what I've been using Cometic gaskets ever since then. On the old build with a GE gasket, I never had a problem. The head is off the car as we speak and getting a new SuperTech valvetrain (two burnt valves). I have a GE gasket coming on Monday and then the car is going back together just in time for a track day at Mid-Ohio

Oh and by the way, unless the head is cracked then the gasket is the next likely reason. I looked at the sleeves and I can't even get a .0015" feeler under the straight edge so it's not the sleeves moving. It also has ARP studs, and a custom coolant system sooooooo it's "mysterious". Anyways, I'll reply here next week when the car is running again and I'll let you know how the gasket turns out.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:46 AM

Default Re: (Dunc)

cheers dunc, ill try the rad cap first, hoping its not the head gasket

let us know how you get on
Old 08-03-2007, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Dunc)

Dunc, sounds to me like if your HG was leaking it probably wasn't the HG fault, but rather the block not being decked properly. If this started happening after new sleeves this makes a lot of sense. I know Cometics have been known to leak too but I don't think its fair to blame just that until you see if another HG leaks. Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:07 PM
BCICAN

Default Re: (TS4L)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TS4L &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Dunc, sounds to me like if your HG was leaking it probably wasn't the HG fault, but rather the block not being decked properly. If this started happening after new sleeves this makes a lot of sense. I know Cometics have been known to leak too but I don't think its fair to blame just that until you see if another HG leaks. Just my 2 cents.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's not the deck....I have plenty of faith in ERL's abilities. I checked the sleeves again last night (check them about 3 months ago) and I couldn't even get a .0015" feeler gauge under the straight edge. So I would say the sleeves are pretty damn straight haha.

I had a Cometic on it right after the new build and after a year of fighting the problem, I torn the head off. I checked the block (still perfectly straight), and put a new Cometic gasket on with all the hope in the world that my problems would be solved. So this is now the second Cometic gasket I have used and still have the problem. There isn't much else to explain things since I have done just about every test on everything coolant related system under the sun.

I am not blaming Cometic even after two gaskets....read my first post, I have defended them against Cometic-haters in every post of mine. I know it's too early (as I said in my first post) which is why I said I will review how I feel about Cometic after Monday/Tuesday when the car is back together. However, if my problem is fixed after putting a GE copper sprayed gasket on there....then it will be painfully obvious that Cometic's were my problem.